Author Topic: Hydroponics. Future food? Urgh...wots this pelt?  (Read 382 times)

digitalis

Hydroponics. Future food? Urgh...wots this pelt?
« on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:01:07 AM »
Resoltions to the earths growing (over)population says growing and eating more grub is the solution,especially of the lab variety,or the sort that's just grown outta water;the hydroponic stuff. Basically,you just put some seeds in a water tray,drip some chemicals in,then,later,you have an aesthetically gorgeous red ripe tomato to add to your salad. Same s'posed to be with pork meat and such. No need for animals,get a petri dish,add some pink slosh,add time,then 8 months later you got a a side o pork.
Anyne tried any of this(slosh)? I think I have from mylocal supermarket. The tomatoes are fine to look at,but I prefer the packaging theyre wrapped in. I throw away the fruit andeat the wrappers...mch nicer,mmmmmmm.

Watched Italian farmers and French wine growers over many years ago ont' box. They say the taste of the wine and fruit comes through the soil and ground its grown in not ICI. Still,the boffs say its all chemicals so me brain must be addled.

They were having some talk on it on Radio 4 t'other day. Alas,couldnt be assed to listen to it cos it was probably  Hillary Benns daughter(now 14)getting her shoo-in to her tv career.

Anyone her liking pap grub? I don't see the point in buying this hydroponic pelt,it doesn't have taste,and maybe no nutrients. If it does,I'd rather cut out the middle-man and just buy a spoonful of the chemicals from the fertilizer bag. Saves transportation costs.

Michael Rolls

Re: Hydroponics. Future food? Urgh...wots this pelt?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:28:34 AM »
Hydroponically grown food is clearly the way to go for the future - you know, like the colony we've established on the Moon, the flying cars, the three day week...............
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

digitalis

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
Soon after posting my thoughts moved on to hydroponically grown politicians. They have all the good credentials, as in looks,youth,vigor,stance,commitment...but when you look closely they are vacuous,bare,zero,full of pap.

What brought it to mind was looking in and spotting Trudeau at the NATO talks. Then my mind went to Clegg. We could throw in Chukka. I guess we still gotta lotta of the luv-em or leave-em sort at Westminster tho(thank the Lord)

The hydroponically grown politico does all the correct moves in the right order,oral and spoken nonsense tick all the correct boxes. Becoming morally outraged or showing tears on set occasions adds weight: terrorism(add outrage),killings(add tears). Its Hollywood. Its also B class acting.

I still like something organically grown myself.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2019, 11:18:09 AM »
Actually, I think they are in the Eric mould - all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order
Mike

eegrek

« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:38:25 PM »
Thursday is our day to go to our local farm shop to purchase some fruit and veg which we know will be nice and fresh. I was surprised that they had locally sourced Strawberries (Norfolk), which had been grown hydroponically, and they were very reasonably priced at £2 a punnet. Last year at this time they only had Israeli grown strawberries at over £4 per punnet. So this must be the way to go eventually.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2019, 10:35:58 PM »
Thursday is our day to go to our local farm shop to purchase some fruit and veg which we know will be nice and fresh. I was surprised that they had locally sourced Strawberries (Norfolk), which had been grown hydroponically, and they were very reasonably priced at £2 a punnet. Last year at this time they only had Israeli grown strawberries at over £4 per punnet. So this must be the way to go eventually.
How did they taste?
Mike