Author Topic: the price of having a mobile phone,?  (Read 1071 times)

Alfred

the price of having a mobile phone,?
« on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:13:48 AM »
It seems when ever I scroll through the internet and end up looking at amazon phones, some of the cheapest under £20.00 pounds,  as   the variety and choice is amazing from a basic phone, to one that cost  up to a £1.000  pounds possibly more,

then all the styles and colours, then comes the 2g/3g/4g/and now 5/g
which  can do every thing you can do on your  laptop.  desk top. I pad, tablet,
and even smart phones,

So what  ever happened to the basic simple straight forward mobile phone, and will these phones eventually be faded out and eventually the only choice will be the more expensive  phones..

so where are were going with all the different mobile phones on the market including phones, you can have by having a contract,  instead, of a pay as you go, and there by having the latest state of the arts phones at a monthly premium, instead,.

Q; have you any thoughts on mobile phones in general,  if so will you share your thoughts with us

Michael Rolls

Re: the price of having a mobile phone,?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:25:29 AM »
I cannot understand why some folk seem to regard it as de rigeur to change their phone, it would appear, almost annually. My Iphone which does all I need or want is 2 1/2 years old, purchased because I wanted a phone capable of accessing the net, which my old one couldn't. I will only change the current phone if it stops working for whatever cause
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »

The only thing I want or need a mobile phone for, is to make and receive calls, one  that I can hear easily,, given  my hearing problems, so a basic Doro fits the bill for me,  costing £5 a month on my BT package, including more than enough talk minutes than  I would ever need.
 If I do want something to gaze at constantly in waiting rooms, etc, I take a newspaper,

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:37:30 AM »
My son in law gave me his old phone when he upgraded.  I use mine for various things.  My Nectar card is now an app, I play Scrabble, access forums like this one, and use it to track train times, buses and trams.  I use it to make phone calls too!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 11:26:31 AM »
My mobile is a £6.99 from Tescos,  makes and received phone calls OK.  I've got my home computer and my Amazon Fire, had these for a few years now see no need to get anything new unless they break down.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »
I didn't really like the iphones, I struggled with their tiny keyboards. I also found Apple locked down too many things and as for blooming iTunes aaagggggg it did my head in, so user unfriendly. I've now had Huawei Honor phones for the past 5 years and love them. Their camera's are excellent so much so that I often don't take one of my cameras with me when I'm off with the dog or the Clydes. I don't change it every year only when it needs to be changed.

richmond62

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2019, 11:35:10 AM »
I have a phone, which I use as a . . . wait for it . . . a phone.

Over here in Bulgaria you can pick up mobile phones that are phones and not all-singing-all-dancing-panjandrums for about 10 quid,
so I would suppose you can in Britain.

I spend large amounts of time confiscating tarty phones from kids who cry because they are addicted
to them: I really am so cheesed-off with the blasted things I wouldn't have one for all the tea in China.

Raven

« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2019, 11:43:31 AM »

I first got one as I was newly divorced and I wanted one in the car with me incase I broke down, it was an old Motorola that only sent texts or made a call. I got used to it as my kids used to call me on it instead of the house phone. I got my first smart phone from my daughter who got her's on contract and she got another one when the contract ended. I was very wary of it but slowly got used to it and found I quite liked it. I got my daughter's old contract ones for several years so I was upgraded by her, but they were iphones and I hated the wee keyboards and bought my first Honor phone that did all an iPhone did and had a selection of keyboards so I can change to suit myself.
I think I'd miss my phone very much if it was suddenly removed from me.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2019, 11:59:18 AM »
Raven
I am another who hates the tiny keyboard (born clumsy, that's me). There is a way round it though - at least there is with mine. When I send a text I can use the microphone option so just speak my message - as far as I can see, it isn't available for a normal phone call, but given my knowledge on such matters (!) I may be wrong
Mike

Raven

« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:09:53 PM »
Hhhmmmm, that does sound familiar but I was getting so sick of other Apple non options I would have changed anyway I think. I can't fault the Huawei Honour phones, I love them.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:14:02 PM »
Go for what you like!
Mike

Alex22

« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:25:17 PM »
I got my Samsung from Tesco and it was originally £11 a month.  Now I've had it over 2 years, they stop charging for the handset and I now pay £7 a month.  This gives me 500 mins and 500 texts + internet access but I can't remember how much I get !    I mainly use Whats App which doesn't cost anything, there's also nothing wrong with the phone so I won't change it until it conks out.

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2019, 02:43:15 PM »
My main phone is a small & very light Alcatel 20.51 flip phone that makes & receives calls & texts.

I also have a virtually unused smartphone that's so big & heavy it invites the question "is that your phone or are you pleased to see me?" when it's in my pocket.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Raven

« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2019, 02:47:23 PM »
My main phone is a small & very light Alcatel 20.51 flip phone that makes & receives calls & texts.

I also have a virtually unused smartphone that's so big & heavy it invites the question "is that your phone or are you pleaded to see me?" when it's in my pocket.

Some of the Smart Phones are like that. I got the new honor ten when it came out but it was too heavy for my comfort and weighed down my hoodie pocket on walks. I returned to my lightweight honor nine that I still had and sold the ten on Ebay for a small profit.  ;D

zoony

« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2019, 02:49:17 PM »
   :o I'd see a doctor about that if I were you...
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.