Author Topic: Turner Prize  (Read 1854 times)

StephenM123

Turner Prize
« on: Dec 04, 2019, 10:27:06 AM »
After yesterday's Mr Man nonsense today's news is that the Turner prize has been shared between four artists. Apparently they wanted there to be no winners or losers. I wonder how they view the men's 100 meters, F1 or football? More nonsense! :(

GrumpyOldFart

Re: Turner Prize
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2019, 10:43:18 AM »
If you look at the so called art works that got them into the short list you would realize that they are all losers.

richmond62

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
Turner's ghost must be boiling.

All Politically Correct stuff: none of which is really ART, just pushing the PC agenda:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50631998

This makes me want to start jokes this way:

There are a black, lesbian rabbi, a transsexual tractor driver and a gay, albino mullah who walk into a "safe space" . . .

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2019, 11:17:38 AM »
I'll be glad when sanity returns, I'm sick of all the PC nonsense. I talk as I always have, and sometimes a younger person will say "wow you can't say that"  :-X My answer is usually "I just did, live with it" ;D I say Baa Baa Black Sheep, I still have my childhood Gollywog, his name is Hamish. I say Happy Christmas, I love and hoot with laughter at the old TV Series, Love Thy Neighbour, Alf Garnet, ect ect. I refuse to conform and if folk don't like it tough. I call it as it is and won't hide behind their stupid rules...…….I feel a bit better now I've said all that. ;D

richmond62

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 11:24:24 AM »
I have my childhood Golliwog, and he was given to me by my black godfather who,
quite rightly thought nothing of it.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:01:31 PM »
The Turner 'winners' are a choice selection of pathological incompetence - if they are all equal then they are all useless.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Jacqueline

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:26:17 PM »
I googled the so called artists and their crap,  ops  "work".  What an insult to Turner, should be renamed the Who can turn out the worst Rubbish prize.

Who buys these people's stuff?  How do they make a living I'd like to know, do they have rich parents, or daft backers?  Reminds me of the Emperors New Clothes.

These so called artists need to take a visit to the Lady Leverhulme  gallery in Port Sunlight, that's filled with real art.

Raven, 100% well said.

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »
After looking at the entries I can see why the event was held in the Dreamland amusement park in Margate  8)

Sheila

« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:15:30 PM »

These so called artists need to take a visit to the Lady Leverhulme  gallery in Port Sunlight, that's filled with real art.

Absolutely, it's lovely - and free!

Butterpuff

« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »
there was a story when I was a child it was called LITTLE BLACK SAMBO.....I was telling it to my granddaughter when she was younger....and she told me that .."we're not allowed to say that anymore"....it's utter nonsense....it's only highlighting it , bringing it to your attention...when before it was only another word

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
she told me that .."we're not allowed to say that anymore"

Quite right as it could be offensive to blacks & dwarfs.  ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

richmond62

« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »
Aye, well, we cannot say anything anent anything, and we cannot wear black-face or yellow-face, but all
the tourists can buy these:

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03:55:42 PM »
Aye, well, we cannot say anything anent anything, and we cannot wear black-face or yellow-face, but all
the tourists can buy these:

Ah, the good old "C U Jimmy" souvenirs.  ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Johned

« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:45:55 PM »
In my naivity (I like that word, 'dunno if I spelt it correctly), I always thought an artist, at least, should possess some drawing ability.  However, some time ago on one of the trendy arty progs on TV, my attitude was completely dispelled by the opinions of one of the new wave, so called artists, who averred with some contempt, it was not necessary to be able to draw or paint, it was only necessary to have the gift of self expression emanating from one's inner being, or some such hokum.

richmond62

« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:48:30 PM »
After I've eaten a lot of beans lots of self-expression issues from my inner being.  ;D

That is why what is exhibited in 'trendy' places such as the Tate Modern should be called f*rt.