Author Topic: RIP Bob.  (Read 605 times)

zoony

RIP Bob.
« on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:35:35 PM »
  Today marks the passing of Bob Willis. One of England's great bowlers. I'll leave it those that knew him better to eulogize further.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

Re: RIP Bob.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:49:33 PM »
How terribly, terribly sad. I had no idea he was ill nor of his diagnosis. I remember a very pleasant afternoon in the 'Romper' pub in Cheshire, near the Airport somewhere with him and many others after a Manchester Test in the mid eighties. He'd retired the previous season and was in the company of others in the same boat. I confused him with his twin brother at first and we then sat outside with David Gower, discussing various legal points he was keen for opinion upon I remember. He thanked me very warmly, shaking my hand tightly with both his huge paws. A bottle of iced Veuve Cliquet in a silver bucket arrived just after he and his brother departed.

As a player he almost bowled off the wrong foot and looked very open chested. One of those people though for whom at the point of delivery everything clicked. Well disguised pace and huge reserves of inner courage combined to make him the fourth highest English wicket taker of all time. No stranger to pain after both knees went under the knife, he never complained I was told and just got on with it. A big man in all ways with great ability, heart and kindness. Why him?

Farewell Dylan god bless and thank you so much for your life. A lovely, lovely giant of a man.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:20:54 PM »
Oh no - I had no idea he was ill. I'll never forget Headingley 1981 - called Botham's match, but Ian saved it - Bob won it.
MIke
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2019, 04:41:52 AM »
In his later years I could never get used to seeing Bob without that shock of curly hair. Means we have already lost two of that 1981 Headingley team. Tempus fugit indeed
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:06:35 AM »
I had no idea who he was until it was mentioned on the news.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:11:34 AM »
Well, he had been retired quite a while - played his last Test in, IIRC, 1984
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:48:51 AM »
Well, he had been retired quite a while - played his last Test in, IIRC, 1984
Mike

What's IIRC, it come up as the International Integrated Reporting Council?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:52:59 AM »
Sorry - if I remember correctly
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:47:11 AM »
I've just looked at the tributes to Bob on the BBC News website - the tribute which invites comments and I am appalled at what I have seen. There are, so far 166 comments - haven't read more than a fraction but without exception they are saying what a great player and person he was - and every comment has received 'down' votes. As one of the comments says - what sort of person is doing that in what is effectively a book of remembrance and condolence?
Mike  >:( >:(

Cassandra

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »
I've just looked at the tributes to Bob on the BBC News website - the tribute which invites comments and I am appalled at what I have seen. There are, so far 166 comments - haven't read more than a fraction but without exception they are saying what a great player and person he was - and every comment has received 'down' votes. As one of the comments says - what sort of person is doing that in what is effectively a book of remembrance and condolence?
Mike  >:( >:(

He had his enemies Mike, part of the conversation all those years ago contained referral to Defamation of Character and 'ex parte' injunctions appertaining etc. His descriptive narrative as a commentator could be laconic at times as well. Here David 'Bumble' Lloyd was an ideal partner for Bob at the mike. Bumble would rattle on laughing at everything, himself included of course and 'Goose' was the punctuation in the delivery here and there.

He's dead poor chap, a fallen English Lion. What a sad divisive world we live in where a nascent soul and his mourning family aren't worthy of some respect?
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2019, 02:13:09 PM »
yes, so sad
Mike