Author Topic: Christmas Television Programmes/Films  (Read 9190 times)

Coastal

Christmas Television Programmes/Films
« on: Dec 07, 2019, 10:55:55 AM »
Any programme or film recommendations (or otherwise) over the Christmas period, because let's face it, I've no doubt there will be a fair bit of rubbish on between now and the New Year, and with so many channel to choose from it's easy to miss something worth watching or recording.

For example, a couple of traditional classic Christmas films,

Film 4 today (Sat) at 14:45 Holiday Inn, and tomorrow at 13:30 White Christmas 
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Michael Rolls

Re: Christmas Television Programmes/Films
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2019, 12:04:59 PM »
Looking forward to the 99th repeat of The Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, White Christmas, et al. At least the Queen's Broadcast is different every year - I really feel for her this time with Andrew's contribution to the family's reputation
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Audrine

« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:09:48 PM »
I agree with you Mike about the Queen's speech. It must be difficult for her considering Andrew's sexual misbehaving himself.

My favorite Christmas movie of all times, I have seen it numerous times, is Scrooge with Alastair Sim. Other actors have tried it but nothing compared to Alastair.  Humbug Audrine

Johned

« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2019, 07:56:46 PM »
The Christmas Season only starts for myself when I have watched my annual prescription of Chevy Chase et al in "The Griswolds' Christmas Vacation!"  As in any family at holiday time, what can possibly go wrong?  I don't quite know yet when I can dose myself viewing this epic yet again as 'er indoors flatly refuses to allow the CD to be inserted into the slot!!  Nevertheless I'll work something out with my devious little mind!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:23:21 PM »
Good for you!
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:30:28 PM »
Looking forward to the 99th repeat of The Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, White Christmas, et al. At least the Queen's Broadcast is different every year - I really feel for her this time with Andrew's contribution to the family's reputation
Mike

I watched my oldest granddaughter in their local youth theatre's production of the Wizard of Oz a couple of weeks ago.  To say none of the performers are over 18, they do an amazing job.  Their shows are always a sell out.   Its such a good confidence booster for the youngsters who take part too.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:35:37 PM »
Sounds great, speaking with all the authority of a nine year old who once played the third Wise Man who uttered the immortal words ‘let us follow it’. I have been resting in my thespian endeavours ever since!
Mike

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2019, 10:21:35 PM »
Audrine, Agree Alistair Sim as Scrooge wonderful actor, also  headmistress in the St Trinians films.  I told my grand daughter when she was little it was my school as I had a picture of me in a similar uniform to the junior kids, she believed me for a while!

Call the Midwife has a Christmas special, not sure what else is on, usually rubbish.  I'm recording things on now to tide me over the Christmas season.

Traveller

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2019, 07:59:51 PM »
Our favourite is the Muppets' Christmas Carol with Michael Caine.

Talking of children's nativity plays,  my wife arrived home from the infant school (where she worked)  one day and asked if I could fix their crib. Apparently during rehearsal, one of the angels fell on it, broke the crib and squashed baby Jesus.  I managed to construct another one in time for the show.
You'll have had your tea.

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »
Mike

I've never watched a Queen's speech in my entire life.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
To be honest, I haven't watched one for several years
Mike

Coastal

« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2019, 11:30:58 AM »
Nor me,

Any Rod Stewart fans out there?
On Saturday 14th and times vary by region, but from about 21:10 onward (22:10 on BBC Wales) there are 3 consecutive programmes (about 3 hours) of Rod on BBC2
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Jacqueline

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »
I love Rod Stewart, but come on " Do you think I'm sexy" at 74 is undignified, retire gracefully Rod.  I will watch and enjoy the old stuff though.

Raven

« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2019, 12:25:01 PM »
Naw, never like Rod Stewart. Makes my skin crawl.  :o

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2019, 01:18:12 PM »
never willingly watched him - in fact, to the best of my knowledge, I have never knowingly watched him.
Mike