Author Topic: On Your Own  (Read 7490 times)

Hugh

On Your Own
« on: Dec 09, 2019, 04:37:41 PM »
A simple thing like, what to have for your evening meal gets difficult at times. Being so use to having a meal put in front of you each evening. Freezer full of food so know problem there. I may just have to write a menu at the beginning of each week and stick to it. This evening I may just have mushroom omelet chips and baked bean until I look in the fridge and I may change my mind  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

GrannyMac

Re: On Your Own
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:05:05 PM »
I don't think I would eat very well if I was on my own. My husband took on the cooking some years ago, although I did most of it when we were first married, then some of it when the children were at home.  Now he cooks dinner every night, and makes home made soup for lunch.  His choice, and I don't complain!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »
I don't think I would eat very well if I was on my own. My husband took on the cooking some years ago, although I did most of it when we were first married, then some of it when the children were at home. Now he cooks dinner every night, and makes home made soup for lunch.  His choice, and I don't complain!

I do all the cooking & housework, as I have ever since I met my wife 12 years ago, so physically preparing a meal wouldn't be anything different.

Wanting to prepare it could well be another issue.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:21:05 PM »

I do try to plan my meals as far as I can.. I do enjoy looking at what is displayed on the shelves rather than have the same thing week in week out.
Having Bertie here sometimes helps because we share the liver/salmon/chicken.. It’s almost like cooking for two but my plate looks more appetising..  If I can’t be bothered to cook or don’t feel like a full meal I just make myself a baked potato or sandwich.
Going out with friends for lunch and a look around the shops helps.But that seems to be what women do.
Though, having said that, I have noticed that a group of men occupy the seats at the coffee shop in our nearest shopping mall.. They all chat to each other .. I grew up with most of them..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:29:03 PM »
Hugh,  Have a look around and see if there is a Lunch club or something for OAPS locally..

We have found a realy nice friendly pub that does a three course meal for OAPs for £5, and very nice it is too.  Some churches do a lunch.  Would get you out and save you cooking every day, Id much rather have somebody else cook.

Sheila

« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:41:04 PM »
Yes, I go out to lunch with friends regularly.  One of them suggested going to the local church hall which I was rather doubtful about but we had delicious bacon sandwiches at only £2.50 each.  It seemed very friendly too.

Our local pubs also do pensioners' lunches at a reasonable price. I suppose they make some profit on the drinks and it's a way of filling the place up.  I'm no good at drinking alcohol during the day but enjoy the occasional shandy.

Hugh

« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »
Not heard of any lunch clubs in this area. Going to a pub for lunch on my own does not appeal to me. On Sunday will be going out to lunch with my son and his wife Dawn. I ended up this evening with mushroom omelette beans and chips. Did not feel hungry in the end, but my little dog Roxy help me out.

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:45:06 PM »
Not heard of any lunch clubs in this area. Going to a pub for lunch on my own does not appeal to me. On Sunday will be going out to lunch with my son and his wife Dawn. I ended up this evening with mushroom omelette beans and chips. Did not feel hungry in the end, but my little dog Roxy help me out.

Yes, I wouldn't want to go either, the loneliest place can be in a crowd.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Hugh

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:56:01 PM »
Sounds like you have it made Sheila. I do not have any friends because I did not originate from his area and kept pretty close to Yvonne with every thing we did. I do not live a lonely life because I play golf and exercise at the GYM. I will have to take members advice and have a pub lunch every now and again.

Hugh

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:59:34 PM »
On the other hand I could end up meeting some one in the same boat as myself Diasi. But you are right a crowd can be a very lonely place.

Hugh

« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2019, 06:07:26 PM »
As a matter of interest I live in Rainworth near Mansfield, does any member of the forum live near me, who would like to join me in a pub lunch, the treat will be on me.

Ode Iron

« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2019, 06:26:20 PM »
Ren'urth hey Hugh..i would gladly share lunch and a pint..if i was still in Notts.
I went to Mansfield College Of Art on Chesterfield Road South...the days when Mansfield Bitter was lovely. As i live in Eire now...pulling a virtual cracker with you..Ode .x
Masks are muzzles

Sheila

« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2019, 06:30:56 PM »
Sounds like you have it made Sheila. I do not have any friends because I did not originate from his area and kept pretty close to Yvonne with every thing we did. I do not live a lonely life because I play golf and exercise at the GYM. I will have to take members advice and have a pub lunch every now and again.

Hugh, I think I have mentioned before that my husband came to live in my area when he left the forces and didn't know anyone here.  After joining a local bowls club, he made many friends, one of whom has become one of my lunch pals.  I think, on the whole, women may be better than men at going out and having a good natter. 

I am lucky to have a few ladies who I have known for many years and we trust each other with any problems and maybe have the occasional little brag about our grand children.

Hugh

« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2019, 06:40:37 PM »
What a shame Ode Iron it would have been great meeting you. You still know the local slang Ren'urth for locals and Rainworth for out siders.

Ode Iron

« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2019, 06:45:39 PM »
Indeed Hugh..for what it's worth i have been here 26 years and struggled to make friends. Sheila is probably right..women network better than men.
Next time i am over...a lunch is on me!.. a trip to Mansfield and Forest Town is nostalgic and always welcome. Regards..ode.
Masks are muzzles