Author Topic: Objection to a council scheme  (Read 4288 times)

Ashy

Objection to a council scheme
« on: Dec 13, 2019, 08:33:18 PM »
I wonder if anyone has ever objected to a council scheme and got it stopped or radically altered, and if so what grounds might they accept as valid. For example the disruption caused during the work is not considered valid.
Our local authority has drawn up plans to build an ornamental garden across the end of our road and I intend to object to it.

GrannyMac

Re: Objection to a council scheme
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2019, 09:22:17 PM »
Has the council consulted with local residents? Is there anything on the council website about it?   If a majority of affected residents object, then the council should listen.   Grounds for objections often include the removal of a local amenity, but this sounds as though they are adding one. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2019, 09:24:45 PM »
Arguably they are removing amenity because in this area most people park their cars in the street and this will curtail that severely. Also this is not such a nice area to have plants growing, harbouring vermin of all sorts. No previous consultation took place.

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2019, 09:31:17 PM »
What do your neighbours think? I'd be bending the ear of a local councillor, if they won't  listen, how about your MP.

I am surprised there was no consultation.

R. Gervais

Butterpuff

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2019, 09:32:12 PM »
the same thing happened in our street, the council wanted to make a piece of vacant land on the opposite side of the street into an allottment, and although we signed a petition ,we objected to it ,there would be extra traffic driving up and down our narrow street, it made no difference, they went ahead with it ,but now it's called a community garden. I used to open the blinds in the morning and look out at a nice open space, now all I see is a huge polly tunnel and a dome...and at the end of the road well the only word that springs to mind is a tip.This is all finished off with a huge metal fence..all that's missing is the barbed wire round the top.

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2019, 09:38:34 PM »
I'm afraid these so called planners have no self awareness, common sense or respect. I shall be filing an objection and I might try the neighbours. A petition won't do now and the councillors live in a posh part miles away.

Butterpuff

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2019, 09:46:50 PM »
our street is a dead end, not many of us have drives for the car, so we have to turn at the end of the street ,these people were made aware by the roads department that there had to be no parking at the turning point, they were supposed to use the place I call the tip for parking, but it is such a tip that they can't get their cars in there,and because of the metal fence and a metal gate ,when the bin lorry or any large vehicle goes to the end of the road, it has to reverse all the way up.

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
Well I shall read my objection again tomorrow when my blood pressure has returned to normal and then send it off.

Butterpuff

« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2019, 10:01:03 PM »
good luck ...let us know the outcome

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2019, 06:07:30 AM »
Yes, good luck Ashy.  Some council schemes seem devoid of common sense to those who are affected.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2019, 06:23:51 AM »
I do sometimes wonder if this sort of scheme is the result of some bored council employee thinking 'Now how can we upset someone today?'
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
I'm quite sure they do try to upset the voters, I notice whenever they have some yellow paint left over they come and paint more lines in the road.

Butterpuff

« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2019, 02:05:59 PM »
Ashy  do you know if they got a grant from the lottery fund, ours did , over half a million..

Ashy

« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2019, 02:22:06 PM »
I don't know where they will get the money from, or if there is a trust fund to maintain it.

stellamaris

« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2019, 02:44:55 PM »
I'm afraid these so called planners have no self awareness, common sense or respect. I shall be filing an objection and I might try the neighbours. A petition won't do now and the councillors live in a posh part miles away.

I don't know how far this has gone but a petition is never much good.  It is counted as one objection.  What it needs is individual letters.  We did get one thing overturned but we wrote the bulk of the letters ourselves with slight word changes and shared the objections between them, sometimes putting two or three in individual letters and then getting everyone to sign "their" letter.   It was done with consultation with individuals though and not too much work for the 5 people doing it.  But we did have some good reasons why it was a bad idea which gave the council some leeway to save face and abandon it.  This means they have to discuss it in a council meeting and someone is allowed a very short speech to spell it all out in person [no more than 5 minutes if I remember rightly].
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart