Author Topic: Objection to a council scheme  (Read 4287 times)

Ashy

Re: Objection to a council scheme
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2019, 04:34:12 PM »
Thank you Stella, Well I have just finished writing my objections out, I don't suppose I have done a brilliant job because I am incandescent with rage and try as I may to be polite I want to rip them a new one, which I have no doubt they will talk out of too.

Diasi

« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2019, 04:55:33 PM »
Thank you Stella, Well I have just finished writing my objections out, I don't suppose I have done a brilliant job because I am incandescent with rage and try as I may to be polite I want to rip them a new one, which I have no doubt they will talk out of too.

Ashy, you have to avoid the personal annoyance & marshall hard facts.

I, at a public meeting in the 1970s, successfully stopped the building of a new (what is now called Premier League) football stadium in a part of a new residential housing scheme.

After the usual ranting by other members of the public, which the developers & council were expecting, I raised my hand.

I didn't make a speech I got permission to ask questions & then proceeded to do an IUC / cross-examination interview of which, I hope, Cassandra would have been proud.

I didn't moan about the noise on match days or the disruption of the construction work, I asked questions about:

seating capacity
average supporter attendance, especially away suporters
if there was a car park
the capacity of the car park

When all these questions had been asked & answered, one at a time, I asked a question about the average car occupancy, which they didn't know but which I did after my talk with the Dept of Transport.

I then did a quick calculation on my newly-bought electronic calculator (£8 in 1977) & asked the developers & the council what contingency plans would they be making for the potential 2,000 cars that wouldn't fit into the car park & would end up parking on the nearest housing estate.

It wasn't built.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:20:17 PM »
Oh well done! If I get to a council meeting I shall ask questions too. At this stage it is a written objection.

Diasi

« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:35:04 PM »
Oh well done! If I get to a council meeting I shall ask questions too. At this stage it is a written objection.

If you do get as far as a meeting, do your research & make sure you can answer any supplementary question that you might be asked.

For instance, had I been asked to amplify my concerns about the car parking, I would have concentrated on the fact that football matches are on a Saturday afternoon when children would be playing on the streets, rather than moaning about my drive being blocked.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Goingtoseed

« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:20:49 AM »
I wonder if anyone has ever objected to a council scheme and got it stopped or radically altered, and if so what grounds might they accept as valid. For example the disruption caused during the work is not considered valid.
Our local authority has drawn up plans to build an ornamental garden across the end of our road and I intend to object to it.

I like trees, shrubs and plants.
Why would you want to object to something that would brighten up an area?

Goingtoseed

« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:28:42 AM »
I'm afraid these so called planners have no self awareness, common sense or respect. I shall be filing an objection and I might try the neighbours. A petition won't do now and the councillors live in a posh part miles away.

In my part of the town I insist that the ward that I represent is kept tidy at all times, that greenery is planted wherever possible and that dead and dying trees are taken down and replaced with traditional English varieties. All of the roundabouts are maintained regularly and that bedding plants are planted at the correct time of the year.
Mind you I suppose there are some residents that would prefer to see dumped cars, broken wheelie bins and supermarket trollies littering the open spaces - tough I say - go live somewhere else.
Me? a Conservative Town Councillor who just happens to be the Chair of the local Planning Committee!

Cee Gee

« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:47:39 AM »
Well we now know of one councillor that ignores the Nolan principles.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2019, 05:52:41 PM »
Well we now know of one councillor that ignores the Nolan principles.

Not at all. I support and would always argue for anything that improves an area. To want to keep and have some scrub land instead of a nicely designed garden type area is beyond me.
I work for the residents in my ward and for the town in particular.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2019, 05:55:02 PM »
You would normally only be given 3 minutes and a few minutes afterwards to ask a supplementary question.

RocoPen3

« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2019, 06:10:18 PM »
Not at all. I support and would always argue for anything that improves an area. To want to keep and have some scrub land instead of a nicely designed garden type area is beyond me.
I work for the residents in my ward and for the town in particular.
yes, well done , but not all council officers  keep that high standard , our local planing officer had to
resign for taking builders  back handers, the scars still show today on what once was a rural area, :'(

Ashy

« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2019, 10:02:32 AM »
As afar as I can see councils behave like the walrus and the carpenter. They would go to the beach and look for ways of getting rid of the sand. If it isn't broken they shouldn't meddle with it.

Butterpuff

« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2019, 02:30:17 PM »
yes Ashy some things look good on paper, but then when the plans have been approved, the finished product isn't always as it's supposed to be.

Ashy

« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:04:50 AM »
Update.
Work started on December 27th with scanning and marking up.
A number of "No parking" signs appeared which closed at least 10 parking spaces at least for the duration of work.
This means that contracts must have been let before objections were considered, probably weeks before.
Several households have made objections, including appeals to councillors.
Then contractors appeared and removed the no parking signs, so possibly the work may have been cancelled or postponed. We are obviously not important enough to be told.

Sheila

« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:31:32 AM »
In our local village there are about 30 small shops, 3 banks and a car park which is usually pretty full.

The council proposed getting rid of the car park and building houses!  This would have meant death to the shops.  There is an excellent butcher and people travel miles to use his shop.

I do wonder about the sanity of our councillors.  A bit of common sense would be good.

klondike

« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:44:20 AM »
Then contractors appeared and removed the no parking signs, so possibly the work may have been cancelled or postponed. We are obviously not important enough to be told.
Or they were behind schedule and nobody remembered to delay the contract to remove the signs. It's possible that somebody on the council forgot about Christmas and New Year and thought a fortnight would be enough too. Never underestimate incompetence.
So long and thanks for all the fish