Author Topic: Why Scotland Wants Independence.  (Read 4841 times)

Diasi

Re: Why Scotland Wants Independence.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 15, 2019, 02:15:34 PM »
The problem I have been finding now for several years is the fact that the English Media, TV, Radio and Newspapers don't report what's going on up here, or if they do it's only a wee bit of it twisted to suit. So the general public of England don't really know the truth about what's happening up here, you only get bits and pieces that's being taken for the truth when it's far from it. I see what's being written on here and I know full well it's either not true, or just a half baked version of things. But I can't say anything or it would just cause rows.

Well in that case you're in no position to moan if we English continue to view Scottish independence based on false information, when you could clarify the situation for us.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #31 on: Dec 15, 2019, 02:20:18 PM »
So nice to know how you all feel about me, and the rest of Scotland.  :'( would you like me to leave this forum as well.

We don't feel negatively towards you, or want you to leave. You are entitled to your views like the rest of us.  I would say as another Scot, I just don't get what Sturgeon hopes to achieve by separating Scotland from the rest of the UK.  More equality? Levelling downwards?

Scotland has a similar sized population to Yorkshire, but gets more money per capita than any region of England, London included.  £11.2k in Scotland, £9.2k average across England.   The spending can't be based on GDP, because Northern Ireland gets even more than Scotland, and Wales a bit less, but still more than England.  That suggests to me that separation from any other nation would benefit England most.   Perhaps someone with more knowledge can put me right on this.

Raven, what is happening in Scotland that we don't hear of? I sometimes read the Courier on line, and the problems with benefits, with crime, with the homeless in Scotland are remarkably similar to the news here.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sparky

« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2019, 02:37:10 PM »
Maybe I take a simplistic view , but all the time we are described as the United Kingdom,  the money spent in all areas should  be the equal, irrespective of which part, that's not to say each area should not prioritise their budget to suit local demands.

Raven

« Reply #33 on: Dec 15, 2019, 02:37:25 PM »

Diasi

« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2019, 04:33:46 PM »
https://www.thenational.scot/news/

Well that's a non-biased publication if ever I read one, but it does, however, show why so many English want to see a country that's so full of hatred toward us, gone.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Traveller

« Reply #35 on: Dec 15, 2019, 04:42:34 PM »
Well that's a non-biased publication if ever I read one, but it does, however, show why so many English want to see a country that's so full of hatred toward us, gone.

And what country is this that you're talking about?  Certainly not the Scotland that I live in.

You'll have had your tea.

richmond62

« Reply #36 on: Dec 15, 2019, 04:44:09 PM »
As a person who wants Scotland to become independent, I can categorically state that the National
over-simplifies things to a ridiculous extent.

But I have a feeling that most of the newspapers published in England treat things in much the same way.

Diasi

« Reply #37 on: Dec 15, 2019, 04:59:44 PM »
And what country is this that you're talking about?  Certainly not the Scotland that I live in.

You must live in a different Scotland from the newspaper I'm talking about.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #38 on: Dec 15, 2019, 05:16:35 PM »
Maybe I take a simplistic view , but all the time we are described as the United Kingdom,  the money spent in all areas should  be the equal, irrespective of which part, that's not to say each area should not prioritise their budget to suit local demands.

It's never been the case - the poor relations have always been the English.
The SNP are now demanding more money both for education and the NHS. They are saying that both have been short changed over the past 11 years and want compensation to cover the losses due to austerity as well as a real time increase year on year.
Even if they leave, they will still be tied to England to support them financially.
No doubt we will be getting a bill also for the oil and gas taken from their shores.

klondike

« Reply #39 on: Dec 15, 2019, 06:37:01 PM »
The problem I have been finding now for several years is the fact that the English Media, TV, Radio and Newspapers don't report what's going on up here, or if they do it's only a wee bit of it twisted to suit.
True enough and as we all know they are chock-a-block with page upon page devoted to Welsh news.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Raven

« Reply #40 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:56:29 PM »
Sighs,  ::) 

Diasi

« Reply #41 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:06:46 AM »
Has Sturgeon thought about, after independence, the effect on Scottish goods, to & from the continent, when you can no longer use English ports?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:17:37 AM »
I don't think she recognises any problems with anything - she seems to be convinced that independence will solve everything and that the rest of the UK and the EU will simply give her everything she demands. Sort of target fixation
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #43 on: Dec 16, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »
I think you're right Mike.  She's very single minded.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Muffin

« Reply #44 on: Dec 16, 2019, 01:41:41 PM »
Sighs,  ::)

Couldn't agree more Roxy.  ::)