Author Topic: Should we send aid to Australia?  (Read 9321 times)

xetog

Re: Should we send aid to Australia?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:36:18 AM »
I would agree with the sentiment that charity begins at home, but our law says that we must spend 0.7% of GDP and until the day that is changed we must continue to do so.  I understand NONE of the worlds richest countries except the UK meet this commitment, so I would have thought we should perhaps repeal that particular law.  If we are going to commit cash it should prioritise places with natural disasters, friend or foe. I was in the Caribbean shortly after their terrible hurricane experience and the devastation was terrible with the poor hit the hardest and many living under tarpaulins, but apart from a couple of Royal Navy relief ships we sent them nothing to rebuild because they are not classed as poor nations.  I do not think sending physical help would be of any use because they need wildfire experts not novices, although I don't see any help coming from the 'States.  I would imagine a good rebuilding fund would help those who have lost everything.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Jacqueline

« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2020, 11:34:43 AM »
We have a national debt of £1.8 trillion, still borrowing and rising.   So to my simple mind we are borrowing 0.7% of GDP to give away in foreign aid, like me taking out a bank loan to give to charity.  Is that a right interpritation?

We should help those in need because of natural disasters whoever they are and that should be it.

Ashy

« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2020, 12:45:50 PM »
Not only that J., you would be taking out a bank loan to pay for advertisements to tell everyone you were taking out a bank loan (on top of the others) to give to charity, as a virtue signal. I can't be the only one who says charity begins at home.

Hugh

« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:14:31 PM »
The fire in Australia is a wake up call to them, they are mass producer of coal which they are exporting at at a cheaper rate than they mine it. They are also taking part in deforestation. The Prime minister there, still says it got nothing to do with climate change. They have always had a bush fire season, but they are now arriving earlier and lasting longer.

zoony

« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:38:46 PM »
Australia is coming more and more under Chinese influence, as is much of Africa, South America and parts of Europe. China is Oz's biggest trading partner and that cheap coal? Have a guess where it goes..Yup, plus the huge amount of minerals extraction going on all over Oz. It's a complex picture but we should do what help we can to help old mates.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #35 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:13:22 PM »
Australia is coming more and more under Chinese influence, as is much of Africa, South America and parts of Europe. China is Oz's biggest trading partner and that cheap coal? Have a guess where it goes..Yup, plus the huge amount of minerals extraction going on all over Oz. It's a complex picture but we should do what help we can to help old mates.

Absolutely agree and they would do it for us, I have no doubt, we might call each other (in sarcastic humour), but the bonds are still strong.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

biglouis

« Reply #36 on: Jan 02, 2020, 05:37:28 PM »
I would infinately prefer my tax dollars to stay in this country and go into much needed resources like policing and the NHS.

If my taxes HAVE to go out of the country I would rather they go to Oz than some s***hole in Africa, China or India. Regardless of whether its a rich country or not I think the Aussies are having a pretty hard time of it. At least they have a language and culture close to our own.

There is a lot we can learn from them about immigration policies and what to do with illegals and unwanteds.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

stellamaris

« Reply #37 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:26:00 PM »
I do not think Australia needs money but could do with more people to assist firefighting. Maybe 100/200 troops plus a dozen experienced firefighters?

That's something along the lines of my thinking Stephen.   I am not even sure that sending more people would help at this time.  The massive clean up and rebuilding needed when it all calms down might benefit from some assistance.  Perhaps the UK government could put it to Australia to ask for help if they need it and give them an assurance that we are willing to do what we can. There are lots of environmental jobs to be had by British workers available in Australia currently and there may be many more needed in the near future.

By the way, not having kept up too well with the forum lately, I was wondering if UP had made an appearance to let us know how her relatives were faring.  I have a a few cousins who moved to Perth in the late 1960s and their much expanded families stayed in or around that area.  They apparently are having a very difficult time but no-one has died up to now.   I hope UPs  son and family are OK.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

zoony

« Reply #38 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:59:00 PM »
Not seen UP recently Spud so no mention. My good wishes join yours for the family's safety.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Alfred

« Reply #39 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:11:58 PM »
Seeing the news of hundreds if not thousands of  people sadly losing their homes, and every thing  else, makes me feel how lucky we are here in the u.k  especially when seeing those horrific pictures, shown on our T.Vs

even though each country is either contributing, or not contributing to climate change,  and even America, and china,even india, are also culprits who think that they aren't responsible for the horrific weather patterns that are changing the world that we live in,

how ever having  said  that, so yes  I would gladly and willingly make a contribution towards the austrailian people  especially those who  have in all likelihood,  have lost every thing ,although I hope the austrailian government will also  rescue those who have lost the most ,particularly those who didn't have any house insurance , which I assume would be astronomic especially with the amount of bush fires that are known
and regularly break out ,either accidental or by arsonists or freak accidents  ie discarded cigarettes or broken glass, etc,

brian54

« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2020, 11:50:05 AM »
There would be a lot less during the disasters in this country if only people took responsibility for themselves by way of say insurance.
I know when high winds happened in Handsworth some of the residents said insurance was against their religion and wanted the council to pay.

Diasi

« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:25:10 PM »
Stuff the humans, it's been estimated that 8,000 Koala bears have perished.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Raven

« Reply #42 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:34:02 PM »

More than that Diasi when you add in the other wildlife, it's heartbreaking..

https://www.fox13news.com/news/nearly-half-a-billion-animals-feared-dead-in-australia-wildfires-ecologists-say?fbclid=IwAR1PehxsMMiyQWpqzkss4oy9GoTq0uNgVaurj53deWmBqQtHVpUPhETZLgM

Scrumpy

« Reply #43 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:38:08 PM »

Well done Diasi..  You are one of the first to mention the innocent wildlife that have perished .
Mostly humans can run ... Wildlife usually  just bury their heads.. Incredibly sad..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Cassandra

« Reply #44 on: Jan 03, 2020, 01:16:43 PM »

Wonderful pictures on the News of a firefighter giving a Koala a drink from a flask yesterday. It was heartbreaking to watch as it tried to hang on to the bottle for more. Poor creatures.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...