Author Topic: BAFTA Awards  (Read 621 times)

StephenM123

BAFTA Awards
« on: Jan 07, 2020, 04:13:03 PM »
I see that a diversity row has broken out over the BAFTA Awards. Forgive me but I thought the idea of awards for the best in class not to tick boxes. I had enough of that carp when I was working losing jobs to an inferior candidate to tick boxes. It nearly seems a sin to be a middle aged white male!

klondike

Re: BAFTA Awards
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2020, 05:00:12 PM »
I'd pay good money to be a middle aged white male again.  :(
So long and thanks for all the fish

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2020, 06:51:04 PM »
No women in the Best Director category..Doesn't that just mean that they weren't good enough?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2020, 07:16:07 PM »
I'm surprised anyone is interested in show business awards, surely it's just an internal matter. Most industries have some sort of awards these days and the public, quite rightly, is not invited.

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2020, 07:39:37 PM »
I just wish gender politics would leave my film and tv shows alone. Because of the #Me Too brigades etc we no longer have minor female/male characters who's job is just to look good and dress the film. Far too sexist..Wot a load of old cobblers.

cowboy wisdom.

StephenM123

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:01:21 PM »
I see the film director Stevie McQueen has said if the BAFTAs do now show more diversity they will become irrelevant. I respectfully suggest that if they try and meet quotas to achieve so called diversity they would be even more irrelevant. The easiest solution would be to scrap these awards. Years ago I brought the Booker prize winner. Beautifully crafted use of the English language but total dross!

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:50:09 PM »
Completely agree. Just expensive, self-aggrandising luvvie-fests with everybody demanding inclusion.. I've seen several of the offerings and wasn't impressed. I'm hoping 1917 is an exception.

cowboy wisdom.

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2020, 12:38:16 AM »
I'm sick and tired of diversity, it's whether  the film, actor or actress are good that matters.

Ops, I shouldn't have said actress, we are all actors now luvvie!

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:55:16 AM »
Completely agree. Just expensive, self-aggrandising luvvie-fests with everybody demanding inclusion.. I've seen several of the offerings and wasn't impressed. I'm hoping 1917 is an exception.

I hope you're not disappointed as the director may have entrenched views about how a WW1 war film should be made.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2020, 10:37:31 AM »
I read something about it being filmed in a single continuous take. I wonder how that worked out. I guess I'll find out as it's on my list of films to watch.
So long and thanks for all the fish