Author Topic: Iran  (Read 950 times)

Sheila

Iran
« on: Jan 10, 2020, 08:04:43 AM »
It is looking as though Iran may have accidentally shot down a plane.  We have recently flown back from India and my OH noticed that we took a different route avoiding Iran.  The flight took a bit longer than usual.
Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place.

Scrumpy

Re: Iran
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2020, 08:40:07 AM »

I am pleased that you are safely home... Worrying times ahead.
Don't think of a caterpillar dying..Think of a butterfly living.

[email protected]

Raven

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:42:50 AM »
Yes, glad your safe Sheila. :) BUT......How do you "ACCIDENTLY" shoot a bloody plane out of the sky??? :o ???

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:50:23 AM »
Presumably by thinking the Great Satan was coming to bomb the shіt out of you for whacking off 20 missiles at his airbase an hour or so earlier. I think if I'd been there on air defence my buttocks would have been twitching too.

I imagine it might mean cheap package deals there this summer if you don't mind going in by donkey.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:23:22 AM »
USS Vincennes was a good example - a warship mistaking a civilian airliner for an F-14 Tomcat
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:25:20 AM »
Presumably by thinking the Great Satan was coming to bomb the shіt out of you for whacking off 20 missiles at his airbase an hour or so earlier. I think if I'd been there on air defence my buttocks would have been twitching too.

I imagine it might mean cheap package deals there this summer if you don't mind going in by donkey.

But surely they can tell the difference between a fighter plane and a big passenger one. :o

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:32:02 AM »
It all depends - USS Vincennes was/is a state of the art USN warship but at a time of high tension in the gulf, her crew made precisely that mistake. From Wiki:-
>>Crucially, Vincennes misidentified an Iran Air Airbus A300 civilian airliner, Iran Air Flight 655, as an attacking F-14 Tomcat fighter aircraft. The Iran Air Flight 655 was climbing at the time, and her IFF transponder was on the Mode III civilian code rather than on the purely military Mode II, as recorded by Vincennes's own shipboard Aegis Combat System. Vincennes fired two radar-guided missiles and shot down the Iranian civilian airliner over Iranian airspace in the Strait of Hormuz, killing all 290 passengers and crew on board.<<

And I would be willing to surmise that even back in 1988, the systems onboard the Vincennes were more capable than those available to Iranian Ground  to Air missile crews.
Another tragic example of the fog of war.
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:56:11 AM »

But surely they can tell the difference between a fighter plane and a big passenger one. :o

Lol ;D ;D ;D , have you never seen a B52?

They're bigger than some passenger planes.

Well here's one.
Make every day count, each day is precious.

There is nothing more frightful than the ignorant in action.

Apart from the gullible in action.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2020, 12:03:53 PM »
They are indeed - wandered around one at Fairford years ago - they are BIG!
Mike

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2020, 12:05:49 PM »
The automated response system was Russian-made..Just sayin'.. ;D ::)
" There ain't no Devil, it's jus' God when he's drunk.."

Tom Waites

xetog

« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2020, 03:32:42 PM »
would The US use a bomber for such a mission these days?  A drone would be more likely and much more difficult to mistake.  Some trigger happy Islamic fundamentalist more than ready to shoot anything out of the sky would be more the mark especially since it had only just taken off from their local airport and could be easily tracked.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Raven

« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2020, 03:40:33 PM »
Lol ;D ;D ;D , have you never seen a B52?

They're bigger than some passenger planes.

Well here's one.

Em no, never seen one. But going by that picture yes it's very big, but it looks very different in shape and colour to a passenger plane.

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2020, 04:07:37 PM »

Em no, never seen one. But going by that picture yes it's very big, but it looks very different in shape and colour to a passenger plane.

Not at several 1,000 ft in the dark when the decision to launch has to be made in seconds.

Most of the passengers were Iranian nationals.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2020, 04:11:27 PM by Diasi »

Ashy

« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2020, 04:12:37 PM »
I don't mind but I think the donkey might object.
Parking is such street sorrow.

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2020, 04:24:22 PM »
would The US use a bomber for such a mission these days?  A drone would be more likely and much more difficult to mistake.  Some trigger happy Islamic fundamentalist more than ready to shoot anything out of the sky would be more the mark especially since it had only just taken off from their local airport and could be easily tracked.

Mike.X

Drones have a limited usage & aren't used for heavy bombing raids, but with seconds to decide, whoever launched the missile didn't have time to weigh up all the pros & cons.