Author Topic: Somebody said today a Cairn Terrier can only live for 15 years.  (Read 1844 times)

stellamaris

Re: Somebody said today a Cairn Terrier can only live for 15 years.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »
A man with a pipe stopped me in the street, said he was a plumber and could I direct him to Leek? Another man had a cap, said he was looking for a toy gun. Then a man with two dogs came along, said I needed a pension and £5,000,000. Last time I go out when there is a full moon.

More  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  from me.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Cassandra

« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2020, 01:20:14 PM »

'Albert' my little 'Westie' has many canine acquaintances around here. One a super Irish Wolf Hound, I was very saddened to hear passed on new years day aged only 9. I last saw him a few weeks before and quite frankly he still looked very young. I understand that larger breeds have a shorter life expectancy, which is so very sad. He was nearly 3 ft tall and seemed to be laughing all the time and my little chap, always excited to see him, used to pull me over so they could have a chat and I always had a treat for him. I hope Albert lasts forever, he's seven on Monday and is forecast for 12 - 16 years. We had a trip to the coast yesterday, one of his favourite days and then a few pints in the local. He was asleep, curled up to me five minutes after his chicken supper, with yours truly about 15 mins behind him! Happy days.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2020, 01:46:27 PM »

No, not to Brian.   BUT ... he could be related to Brian's "Somebody"/"Someone"/"Some man in a pub".  They are on a nationwide mission to question, inform, grind everyone down with random and useless information.

Has 'someone' or 'a man' or 'a woman' told you that?  ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2020, 02:44:15 PM »
I'm wondering about this "a woman"  as it always used to be "a man".

Now I always simply assumed that "a man" was just another inner voice. Perhaps all this recent stuff about "self identifying" plus the mixed aerobics classes explain the change.
So long and thanks for all the fish

mick607

« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2020, 03:03:05 PM »
Talking of dogs AND Brian.......................Is this Peter or Andy ?

zoony

« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2020, 03:04:44 PM »
'Albert' my little 'Westie' has many canine acquaintances around here. One a super Irish Wolf Hound, I was very saddened to hear passed on new years day aged only 9. I last saw him a few weeks before and quite frankly he still looked very young. I understand that larger breeds have a shorter life expectancy, which is so very sad. He was nearly 3 ft tall and seemed to be laughing all the time and my little chap, always excited to see him, used to pull me over so they could have a chat and I always had a treat for him. I hope Albert lasts forever, he's seven on Monday and is forecast for 12 - 16 years. We had a trip to the coast yesterday, one of his favourite days and then a few pints in the local. He was asleep, curled up to me five minutes after his chicken supper, with yours truly about 15 mins behind him! Happy days.

You two are so very lucky to have each other. Albert should keep a diary. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Ashy

« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2020, 05:10:22 PM »
If it lives for more than 15 years then it's not a proper cairn terrier.

Cassandra

« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2020, 07:03:03 PM »

You two are so very lucky to have each other. Albert should keep a diary. ;)

What to record instances like this?  ;)
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

zoony

« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2020, 07:14:04 PM »
 :D  Good ol' Hitch..

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2020, 10:28:23 PM »
Cassandra
It is true, although I don’t understand why, that big dogs have a lesser life expectancy than small ones. Our little Cavalier King Charles made it to fifteen and a half, there is a Westie we used to meet who was sixteen, and a chap I still see in the park has a seventeen year old Dachshund.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2020, 11:03:39 PM »
Perhaps it's a heart-related thing..A bigger, heavier, taller dog needs more blood-pressure than a smaller, shorter and lighter dog so their heart and circulatory systems will work harder for longer? Or it could be this..(Had to look.. but my theory's valid too..)
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/49358/why-don%E2%80%99t-big-dogs-live-long-small-dogs

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2020, 11:15:00 PM »

Just enjoy every day at a time with Albert.

My last rescue Westie was called Cas, short for Casper so I was told.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2020, 04:17:27 AM »
Zoony
Thanks for that link. Very interesting. I was surprised at the comment about human height and related longevity for folk in the ‘normal’ height ranges, although as far as I can recall those suffering - if that is the right word - from giantism never seem to reach a ripe old age
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2020, 06:06:49 AM »
Zoony
Thanks for that link. Very interesting. I was surprised at the comment about human height and related longevity for folk in the ‘normal’ height ranges, although as far as I can recall those suffering - if that is the right word - from giantism never seem to reach a ripe old age
Mike

Bugger, it looks as though we could be stuck with Bercow for a good number of years .

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2020, 06:12:37 AM »
OMG!!! Hadn't thought of that
Mike  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(