Author Topic: Superfast broadband - another SNP failure  (Read 4477 times)

klondike

Re: Superfast broadband - another SNP failure
« Reply #45 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:01:48 PM »
I doubt that they'll answer several of those.
I tested my Huawei B310 using my wife's SIM mostly because my phone uses a tiny one and I don't have an adapter to make it fit. It showed the signal bars OK with that but wouldn't actually allow an internet connection. I didn't bother to investigate why. It did allow a phone call though from the SIM so there is at least that device that will let you use normal phones such as the DECT one you linked to.

I'm guessing from the price you are talking to Three. If so I doubt that their SIMs will include calls so even if you could connect a normal phone there would be no free calls. They won't offer VOIP calls either you'd need to buy that elsewhere. The Smarty and Superdrug SIMs I mentioned before include unlimited calls so if you had the right device you could just plug in your existing phone although you might need an alternate cable or maybe an adapter.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Cassandra

« Reply #46 on: Jan 13, 2020, 10:47:12 PM »
I was discussing this with a friend today. Retired now but from the industry, he reflected that call centers have no technical knowledge and are very rarely confronted by such a regime of constructively linked questions! So they won't bother replying, or if they do the response content would be worthless? However he suggested moving the present router to the loft and adopting an ethernet connected extender or two to boost the signal to the properties extremes, as you had suggested. However to do that I'd have to alter the present incoming land line set up.

I suppose I could always drill through the exterior wall and run the phone out from its existing socket up the wall and directly into the loft under the eves - total distance 10 Ft maybe? He also suggested investing in a router replacement at this stage, as my 3 year old 'talktalk' supplied hardware would be easily bettered today?

I'd then retain the existing landline for a nett cost of £6.00 a month and use the mobile if ever I have to make a call? He thought it unlikely TalkTalk would want to try and up my charges just now anyway?

He did also mention that extending a 4G signal, even with an ethernet booster might only marginally improve an any way inferior wireless originated signal, comparison to the existing 35mbps landline set up? Adding also that I shouldn't conflate dongle 3G signal reception with that from a router, which he considered would be inferior. 'You only discover performance post committal' he warned!

The physical work these days however, is beyond me and would mean getting a contractor. I used to know a BT fitter who would have facilitated this for a reasonable price and quickly, but that was in London. I suppose its worth seeing if there's anyone locally, or even requesting BT for a price to provide a second extension point to the loft, for a pro it can't be that difficult. The rest I could complete with the aid of a neighbour?

Thanks for reading this, I hope our exchanges will help anyone else considering this change and for that purpose I'll publish further events.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

zoony

« Reply #47 on: Jan 13, 2020, 10:50:32 PM »
In a similar circumstance I might be tempted to drop into the local with my trusty companion and raise the question with the landlord..Good luck.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:36:35 PM »
In a similar circumstance I might be tempted to drop into the local with my trusty companion and raise the question with the landlord..Good luck.

Good idea Zoon, my techy friend unfortunateley is 800 plus miles away return these days in the far flung reaches of Krankieland but leaving a card or two with my local friendly hostelry could be hopeful?
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

« Reply #49 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:59:09 AM »
I was discussing this with a friend today. Retired now but from the industry, he reflected that call centers have no technical knowledge and are very rarely confronted by such a regime of constructively linked questions! So they won't bother replying, or if they do the response content would be worthless? However he suggested moving the present router to the loft and adopting an ethernet connected extender or two to boost the signal to the properties extremes, as you had suggested. However to do that I'd have to alter the present incoming land line set up.

Or you could try these.

https://bit.ly/2u0Ejc0
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #50 on: Jan 14, 2020, 10:23:44 AM »
Certainly the simplest answer for those unable to run an ethernet cable or easily reposition their current router.

One thing the technical friend mentioned that can't be got around is that it is quite probable that the 4G speed will be less than the current landline broadband. The question is would that matter?

When we first go to the caravan late March our 4G is about 25Mbps (the cell is about 4km away) but during summer weekends drops to nearer 5Mbps at times due to the large numbers of others using the service. Now that is far less than at home but for browsing the reduction is hardly noticeable and I think it would still support catchup TV. At home 4G is consistently over 30Mbps.

Diasi

« Reply #51 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:55:45 AM »

When we first go to the caravan late March our 4G is about 25Mbps (the cell is about 4km away) but during summer weekends drops to nearer 5Mbps at times due to the large numbers of others using the service. Now that is far less than at home but for browsing the reduction is hardly noticeable and I think it would still support catchup TV. At home 4G is consistently over 30Mbps.

I was going to ask when you'll be making your first visit to Hunstanton, do you still do the amateur radio?
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #52 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:58:36 AM »
What amateur radio?  ???

Diasi

« Reply #53 on: Jan 14, 2020, 12:01:16 PM »
What amateur radio?  ???

I thought you'd mentioned it but it must be another member.

klondike

« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »
Not me. It is strange how odd things folk mention remind them of other absent posters though Phil.

Diasi

« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2020, 12:29:06 PM »
Not me. It is strange how odd things folk mention remind them of other absent posters though Phil.

Yes, I've noticed that but I just accept being called Phil now.

What's in a name.