Author Topic: Superfast broadband - another SNP failure  (Read 4478 times)

Diasi

Re: Superfast broadband - another SNP failure
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2020, 03:59:54 PM »
VM are billions in debt and don't do major new cabling. They sometimes extend into a new build in a cabled area. The cost to run fibre to your community would almost certainly not be economic and 12 properties are unlikely to tip the balance of an election.

My prediction would be that you'll get nothing better for quite a while because apart from you nobody would benefit.

Satellite would be possible and you might be in a 4G area if near a major road.

I agree with your conclusion.

VM has just cabled our town, but not our area as we're on the outskirts.

We have an FTTC rated line speed of 70Mbps from which we get 50Mbps down & 12Mbps up, which is more than adequate.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Yellowbird

« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:21:07 PM »
Our village was disrupted for ages laying cables for fast fibre all work men gone but we have heard no more about fibre. It must have cost a great deal of money, you might have been forgiven for thinking they might want to get it up and running to get some money coming back. Apparently not.
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:34:05 PM »
Our village was disrupted for ages laying cables for fast fibre all work men gone but we have heard no more about fibre. It must have cost a great deal of money, you might have been forgiven for thinking they might want to get it up and running to get some money coming back. Apparently not.

After laying the cables there's all the street cabinets etc to install.

It can be several months between laying the cables & connecting subscribers.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2020, 07:09:59 PM »
Don't get me wrong - what I have is adequate for my needs - I'm just highlighting yet another instance of the difference between SNP promises and reality
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Cassandra

« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2020, 09:52:18 PM »
Home Mobile Broadband could be the answer.
http://www.three.co.uk/store/broadband/home-broadband
https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/mobile-broadband/deals#/?contractLengths=&data=Any&deviceCondition=New&deviceType=InCarWiFi,MiFi,Dongle,Broadband&giftCategories=&handsetColours=&handsets=&includeExistingCustomers=true&includeExistingCustomersHandset=&includeResellers=true&internalStorage=Any&isExclusiveDeal=&isFiveG=&merchants=&minutes=Any&monthlyCost=Any&networks=&phoneCost=Any&productType=mobileBroadband&simType=Any&sortBy=Our%20best%20picks&texts=Any&variants=

My position must be very typical today? I'm paying £26.50 a month unlimited data with TalkTalk and average speeds about 35mbps down and 9.3 up. Moving here, I had a 3G sim which fitted in a Hauwei Dongle, of course applicable to only one device at a time? Now I also have two imac desktops providing the large screen view, macular degeneration dictates. Using the Mac furthest from the router, sited 30ft distant (bungalow) but through 2 tiled en suites, the speed drops by 50%. Correspondingly the TV in the same location is of course slow to download on catchup etc.  The 'router' on offer from 3G is a 'wireless' Hauwei carrying 64 devices simultaneously. I apparently have 'excellent' connectivity where I live with 4G (according to them).

Can I use the 4G router to make voice calls? ie does the sim have an incoming number like a mobile - I presume yes? Presently I have a 'Panasonic' 'wireless 3 point domestic phone system, hard wired at the master by an ethernet connection to the router. The master sends wirelessly to the two other points. This set up is lately only used to receive incoming calls on the landline, I use my mobile (dumb phone) for any outgoing calls. If the answer is yes to the question above, then its worth replacing the existing system if it proves incompatible? New they seem to cost about £35 a station and I'd really only need one ?

The deal-breaker however is what speed 4G? They claim 100 mbps, but do say typically an average of 14-20 mbps is probable - not brilliant by my present factors?  Also how would the internal connections from the router compare? It does save £6 a month, but seemingly you have to commit blind to find out? It would be nice if they provided a free trial sim for say 3 days (I still have the 'Hauwei' dongle to get speed analysis from). Probanby they won't have thought of that?

Unlike the SNP, I wouldn't moan and blame a slow comparison on Brexit ;) !
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2020, 09:55:39 PM »
>>Unlike the SNP, I wouldn't moan and blame a slow comparison on Brexit    !<<  

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2020, 06:48:38 AM »

The deal-breaker however is what speed 4G? They claim 100 mbps, but do say typically an average of 14-20 mbps is probable - not brilliant by my present factors?  Also how would the internal connections from the router compare? It does save £6 a month, but seemingly you have to commit blind to find out? It would be nice if they provided a free trial sim for say 3 days (I still have the 'Hauwei' dongle to get speed analysis from). Probanby they won't have thought of that?

We get a test speed of 50Mbps on the fibre broadband & a test speed of 20Mbps on 4G mobile broadband but there's no noticeable difference when downloading files or watching a streamed video.

A lot of broadband speed talk is no more than technical semantics for the average user who doesn't spend 10 hours a day playing Call of Duty with someone in South Korea.

The most annoying time was when I had VM cable & it was very fast but things downloaded so fast that I didn't realise they'd downloaded so I'd click again & end up with multiple copies of the same file.

klondike

« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »
There are many people who have fast broadband but try to use it on WiFi all over the house. That only works well if you have a very small house with thin walls and have few neighbours unless you fit ethernet or mains wiring fed WiFi repeaters to keep the signal strong throughout the property. Even then WiFi is probably going to be slower than ethernet connections.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:37:02 AM »
There are many people who have fast broadband but try to use it on WiFi all over the house. That only works well if you have a very small house with thin walls and have few neighbours unless you fit ethernet or mains wiring fed WiFi repeaters to keep the signal strong throughout the property. Even then WiFi is probably going to be slower than ethernet connections.

Yes, our present house was bought as a new-build at pre-first fix stage so we had data cabling with Ethernet outlets throughout the house. The router & patch plate are in an understairs cupboard.

We have eight devices hard-wired & several devices on WiFi.

klondike

« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:38:31 AM »
Can I use the 4G router to make voice calls?
Not with the two I've had or any I've seen. The only advantages they offer over a typical MiFi device is the option of external antenna for the 4G and an ethernet output you can used for wired devices and/or a wired WiFi repeater if you have a large area to cover.

I dumped my home call package when they wanted to put the price up. With an unlimited calls and texts monthly SIM costing £5 I thought they were having a laugh.

Diasi

« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:49:56 AM »
Not with the two I've had or any I've seen. The only advantages they offer over a typical MiFi device is the option of external antenna for the 4G and an ethernet output you can used for wired devices and/or a wired WiFi repeater if you have a large area to cover.

I dumped my home call package when they wanted to put the price up. With an unlimited calls and texts monthly SIM costing £5 I thought they were having a laugh.

I suppose Cass could use his existing landline phones & connect them to the 4G router via a VOIP adapter & then use VOIP calling.

klondike

« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:54:03 AM »
My VOIP costs when I had it were more than a cheap mobile Sim. It started out at £7 but they got greedy so I binned it.

Diasi

« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2020, 10:56:19 AM »
My VOIP costs when I had it were more than a cheap mobile Sim. It started out at £7 but they got greedy so I binned it.

I got the impression that Cass wanted to continue using his cordless landline phones so maybe when he reads our posts he can clarify it.

klondike

« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:27:40 AM »
It would certainly do that but he also suggested he was interested in saving cost by my reading.

He is paying Talktalk more for their 40/10 offering than I pay them for their 80/20 and I could recontract and get mine even cheaper but as unlimited 4G is getting cheaper I'm considering just dropping the landline completely.

Cassandra

« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2020, 03:21:03 PM »
We get a test speed of 50Mbps on the fibre broadband & a test speed of 20Mbps on 4G mobile broadband but there's no noticeable difference when downloading files or watching a streamed video.

A lot of broadband speed talk is no more than technical semantics for the average user who doesn't spend 10 hours a day playing Call of Duty with someone in South Korea.

The most annoying time was when I had VM cable & it was very fast but things downloaded so fast that I didn't realise they'd downloaded so I'd click again & end up with multiple copies of the same file.

Thanks Diasi, I struggled in London last year with blistering speeds, blink and you’d miss something! The connection I got here (3 years ago) on 3g and a dongle, certainly didn’t seem 40% slower than what I have now either, supporting your feeling that ‘broabandspeak’ is exaggerated sophistry? I take it VOIP is the same technology as the ‘whatsapp’ feature my godson gave me when he also gifted me a ‘redundant’ smartphone (at least 18 months old apparently) to use it on? Of course I can only call and receive other whasapp users, but for the small amounts of calls I make and get (2 a week?) I’ve always got the good old dumbphone, with it’s £6 a month unlimited criteria available?

"I got the impression that Cass wanted to continue using his cordless landline phones so maybe when he reads our posts he can clarify it"

I’ve reasoned I could go for 4G and run it in parallel with the talktalk service (uncontracted) while I hopefully tweek the phone system to compatibility. If its not up or it then cheap replacements are available and I could quote the exact 4G router model for syncing when ordering?

You’d think BT could see the end coming and reduce landline ‘rental’ charges by say 50% in response, but like most monopolists there blind as well as deaf?

My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...