Author Topic: Life is great under the Tories.  (Read 6976 times)

Ode Iron

Re: Life is great under the Tories.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2020, 09:07:57 PM »
Is that a queer looking zebra crossing or what?
Masks are muzzles

Diasi

« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2020, 09:27:22 PM »
Is that a queer looking zebra crossing or what?

The gay colours certainly brighten up the street.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:27:49 AM »
Klondike, that's what winds me up in  our area, in the time and cost it takes  for somebody to go round painting pretty lines round potholes, it would not take much longer to fill the bloody things in.
Too true, but there lies below an unintended consequence. Pot holes are filled in by contractors, which makes work for the client side in the council. There must be reams of paperwork behind each hole including a report with photographs and a contract specifying the repair.

Whereas the equipment exists for a team of roadmen to go round and fill the holes in as they are found.

Recently a nearby council spent considerable sums of public money installing a short section of cycle path in a quiet beck street. The equipment damaged the surrounding area, which was left in a poor state of repair.

sparky

« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:11:23 AM »
Yes it would make far more sense to have  a couple of guys with suitably  lorry with all the gear, to do routine specified routes checking and filling where necessary.

mick607

« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:23:52 AM »
Many years ago an uncle of mine did such a job. He would drive around also follow up reports of pot holes & fill the holes in as he went by. Nowadays a surveyor has to go out & take a look first then a report goes through a dozen different offices before the hole gets filled in.
You couldn't make it up.

sparky

« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:09:20 AM »
mick, yeah and that's just one example of an incompetent council system, how many more are there that we are not aware of ?. is it any wonder we pay an arm and a leg in council tax. £2500 a  year  in my case, a third of the state pension.

David G

« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2020, 10:54:36 AM »
Hello stellamaris thanks, nice to hear from you. When I post I say what I think otherwise there's no point in posting.

Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

klondike

« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:16:38 AM »
is it any wonder we pay an arm and a leg in council tax. £2500 a  year  in my case, a third of the state pension.
Bejsysus sparky do you live in Windsor Castle?

Ah no I expect that's exempt from the rates....
So long and thanks for all the fish

sparky

« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:24:45 AM »
Klondike, Hardly, just a slightly bigger than average  bungalow.

sparky

« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:38:52 AM »
Klondike, oops, because you seemed so surprised I double checked, I only pay 10 months, not the 12 I based it on,  so its £ 2165, but still a lot of dosh IMO just to have my bins emptied every other week.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #40 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:47:29 AM »
Mine is £2117.50 plus £60 to have garden rubbish collected once a fortnight, and that is after the 25%  discount for single occupancy. Four bed bungalow, relatively out in the sticks, no mains drainage, no mains gas, no street lights, no pavements.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #41 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:52:51 AM »
Mine is £2117.50 plus £60 to have garden rubbish collected once a fortnight, and that is after the 25%  discount for single occupancy. Four bed bungalow, relatively out in the sticks, no mains drainage, no mains gas, no street lights, no pavements.
Mike

Wow Mike..That's either poverty or posh!  ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

sparky

« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:55:30 AM »
Mike,  Wow and I thought I was bad done by, I have always maintained that single occupancy should be 50 %, or better still a change to the poll tax,  by far a fairer system.

klondike

« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:32:04 PM »
The last time that was tried it cost the PM her job so don't expect a fix any time soon.
So long and thanks for all the fish

sparky

« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2020, 01:19:30 PM »
Yeah the lady that was not for turning, bottled it when a bunch of yobs started kicking off when they  realised they would have to start paying their share of  services.