Author Topic: Life is great under the Tories.  (Read 6980 times)

klondike

Re: Life is great under the Tories.
« Reply #60 on: Jan 14, 2020, 10:46:14 AM »
I read that half of them get homeless off the street to stand in for them in the council meetings while they carry on boozing in the free bar. It was those stand ins that voted through the £30m spending on the homeless. As there are only 300 of them it's a nice little income.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #61 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:13:05 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

David G

« Reply #62 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:22:20 AM »
Goingtoseed,thanks for having a stab at it. I'm single and my annual income is £12k but when I applied for the Warm Home Discount I didn't qualify because I'm not on any benefit.

There are so many anomalies in the benefit / pension system it's ridiculous.

Here's just one example when claiming Warm Home Discount.

"Household income excludes Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit, Attendance allowance, Disability Living Allowance or PIP". WHY ? it's income and adds up to a large amount.
Out of my INCOME I pay 75% council tax and a service charge for my flat.

Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Diasi

« Reply #63 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:59:01 AM »
Goingtoseed,thanks for having a stab at it. I'm single and my annual income is £12k but when I applied for the Warm Home Discount I didn't qualify because I'm not on any benefit.

There are so many anomalies in the benefit / pension system it's ridiculous.

Here's just one example when claiming Warm Home Discount.

"Household income excludes Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit, Attendance allowance, Disability Living Allowance or PIP". WHY ? it's income and adds up to a large amount.
Out of my INCOME I pay 75% council tax and a service charge for my flat..

Plus all that income is also tax-free.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #64 on: Jan 14, 2020, 12:03:43 PM »
I remember my late BIL bewailing that the tiny income from his extra National Insurance payments putting him just over the limit for pension credit, reduced community charge, etc. etc.

I often  think despite lack of security and interest many would have been better off stuffing their cash under their mattress than "investing" it to the benefit of those skimming off the cream.
So long and thanks for all the fish

David G

« Reply #65 on: Jan 14, 2020, 12:40:59 PM »
Maybe not having a two tier State pension would be a start instead of handing out benefits left right and centre to all and sundry.
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

biglouis

« Reply #66 on: Jan 15, 2020, 11:10:25 AM »
Council Tax has always got me angry because the system is so deeply deeply corrupt. Singe people get a miserable 26% discount while people with children pay NOTHING extra for the resources which their snotty nosed brats use. What that means is that anyone with children is in effect scrounging on others and not paying their fair share.

Every time I have moved house i have made a point of leaving a large C Tax bill unpaid.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Scrumpy

« Reply #67 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:51:33 PM »
Council Tax has always got me angry because the system is so deeply deeply corrupt. Singe people get a miserable 26% discount while people with children pay NOTHING extra for the resources which their snotty nosed brats use. What that means is that anyone with children is in effect scrounging on others and not paying their fair share.

Snotty nosed brats...
You have such a ,dare I say, lower class way with words..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Raven

« Reply #68 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »
You want to hear what I call them, when I'm trying to swim lengths and they are in the blooming way. Makes BL sound polite.  ;D ;D ;D

GrannyMac

« Reply #69 on: Jan 16, 2020, 05:35:55 AM »
Thank goodness for him Labour never got elected. Their proposed 'Garden Tax' would probably have rendered him with another couple of grand down the tubes?

Ha, yes! They've already looked into the possibility of selling off part of the land, and it seems likely they'd get planning permission. They'd just do it sooner than intended.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

GrannyMac

« Reply #70 on: Jan 16, 2020, 05:38:55 AM »
Maybe not having a two tier State pension would be a start instead of handing out benefits left right and centre to all and sundry.

I don't object to benefits for the genuinely needy, but I dislike the loopholes that allow the better off to squirrel money into trusts in order to then live off the rest of us via the benefits system. 

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #71 on: Jan 16, 2020, 06:41:25 AM »
The more posts I read on here about the benefits system (if that isn't too complementary a description of what seems to be pure chaos) the more bemused I become, and the more I hope that I never have to depend on it.
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #72 on: Jan 16, 2020, 06:45:38 AM »

I don't object to benefits for the genuinely needy, but I dislike the loopholes that allow the better off to squirrel money into trusts in order to then live off the rest of us via the benefits system.

It's a double whammy because the trust also wipes out a huge part of any tax liability.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #73 on: Jan 16, 2020, 06:58:02 AM »

Every time I have moved house i have made a point of leaving a large C Tax bill unpaid.

Those SNBs grow up, most become taxpayers and contributors to NI, which pays older people's state pensions.  That would be us. They are also the people who will nurse us, who will serve us in the shops, drive our buses and trams, care for us in our old age.  They are the investment for the future, and our parents didn't pay extra rates because of us. 

I don't like the way Council tax is levied, as it doesn't relate to income.  I preferred Maggie's idea, a flat rate for every adult earner.  I'm now tempted towards a local income tax. Views?

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #74 on: Jan 16, 2020, 07:02:11 AM »
Don't like the idea of local income tax - too open to the sort of shenanigans the SNP get up to. Do like the flat rate pool tax for all adult recipients of income - 'earners' is a bit too loose a description. There would probably need to be a level of income below which the poll tax would need to be eased.
Mike,