Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 1983 times)

Alex22

Windows 7
« on: Jan 12, 2020, 01:47:57 PM »
Microsoft will abandon Windows 7 users on Tuesday, it seems like Project Fear Mk II is telling us that hackers will target 7 users and basically...... we'll be screwed.   

I've tried a laptop and just could not get used to it, so I'm an old fashioned desk top dolly, but I'm reluctant to buy a new PC.   So, has anyone updated to Windows 10, is it idiot proof and is it free  ?    ???

Diasi

Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2020, 02:00:57 PM »
Microsoft will abandon Windows 7 users on Tuesday, it seems like Project Fear Mk II is telling us that hackers will target 7 users and basically...... we'll be screwed.   

I've tried a laptop and just could not get used to it, so I'm an old fashioned desk top dolly, but I'm reluctant to buy a new PC.   So, has anyone updated to Windows 10, is it idiot proof and is it free  ?    ???

Don't worry, it's all just scare tactics, I'm continuing with Windows 7 for the forseeable future.

I only stopped using Windows XP last year because my tax programme would no longer work on it.

Virtually all computer scams rely on the user having weak passwords, opening dodgy email links or downloading dodgy files.

https://askleo.com/how-to-keep-using-windows-7-safely-after-support-ends/
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2020, 02:01:51 PM »
I went to 10 a year or two ago but soon went back to 7. Didn't like it. I  think you're right about  'project fear' though I know little of these things. My brother, who's my tech guru, says it'll be fine so, content in my ignorance I think no more about it. ;)

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2020, 02:08:56 PM »
Thanks for the link Phil.   A friend suggested perhaps I should upgrade my anti-virus to a paid one, would that make any difference  ?   I wish they'd leave things alone.......ggrr

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2020, 02:11:56 PM »
Thanks for the link Phil.   A friend suggested perhaps I should upgrade my anti-virus to a paid one, would that make any difference  ?   I wish they'd leave things alone.......ggrr

There are plenty of free versions that are just as good & keep using Malwarebytes.

However, it seems that Microsoft will still be updating Windows 7 Security Essentials so I'm sticking with that.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/14210/security-essentials-download

https://uk.pcmag.com/antivirus/120817/the-best-free-antivirus-protection

P.S. Keep checking for updates regularly, don't stop.

If I come across any issues I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2020, 02:18:51 PM by Diasi »
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »
Thanks Phil. I've had trouble with Malwarebytes 4.0 it's just a blank box, I mean no dash board like it used to be, so I uninstalled it and tried again still just a white box. 

richmond62

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2020, 03:23:28 PM »
This is just Microsoft trying to get you to fork out for a system upgrade.

Give this a read and do what it recommends:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/secure-windows-7-after-end-of-support

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2020, 04:32:12 PM »
Thanks Phil. I've had trouble with Malwarebytes 4.0 it's just a blank box, I mean no dash board like it used to be, so I uninstalled it and tried again still just a white box.

I'm still using V3.8 Free

Alex22

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2020, 07:35:07 PM »
I'm ready to throw this out the window now, but I cant lift it.    I went on to Malwarebytes site and they had Premium on offer for 14.99 so I bought it 8)   I haven't been able to download it properly and it's gone into Word Pad - whatever that is - and now I've got a message to say Turedo Tunneling Driver is not working.  I clicked on fix this issue, but it hasn't and what the tell is a Turedo Driver anyway ?  it sounds like a Country & Western band.  Perhaps it is time for me to buy a new computer after all   ::)

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2020, 07:42:25 PM »
It'd be a sight cheaper to call out a mobile technician and pay attention while he/she fixes it...

mick607

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2020, 08:43:56 PM »
I'm ready to throw this out the window now, but I cant lift it.    I went on to Malwarebytes site and they had Premium on offer for 14.99 so I bought it 8)   I haven't been able to download it properly and it's gone into Word Pad - whatever that is - and now I've got a message to say Turedo Tunneling Driver is not working.  I clicked on fix this issue, but it hasn't and what the tell is a Turedo Driver anyway ?  it sounds like a Country & Western band.  Perhaps it is time for me to buy a new computer after all   ::)
Do you have any system restore points  ?

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2020, 09:00:03 PM »

Did it install far enough for you to get the icon?

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2020, 09:43:09 PM »
I've just updated Malwarebytes to v4.0 free & it works ok.

richmond62

« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:11:16 AM »
Of course . . .

If you want to chuck out Windows 7 and you don't feel like stumping up the moolah to install whatever is the "latest and greatest"
version of Windows (and, possibly, have to buy a computer with fancier specifications) you could install a version of Linux.

Shock, Horror . . .  :)

StephenM123

« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:27:34 AM »
I installed Linux (Mint) on a PC a few years ago. The problem. I had was that the OpenOffice equivalents to Word and Excel were inferior to my needs. These days I am on W10 but it does have issues. MS should be ashamed of themselves.