Author Topic: The News  (Read 794 times)

StephenM123

The News
« on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
I have now turned off the news as it is totally boring!

First I put on the radio. The Harry and Megan story was being done to death. Whilst I am a supporter of the Royals I think this is becoming a case of wanting to have your cake and eating it. Harry used his position well in promoting ideas like the Invictus games and it looked as if Megan would help modernise the Royals. But now it all seems potentially toxic. I wonder if Prince Philip will be there as he is a straight talker.

Anyway I turned off and turned on the TV. Same thing and when it finished it went on to diversity at the Oscars! We had all that carp about the BAFTAs recently.

No radio or TV for the rest of the day. I put on the local radio mid-morning yesterday and the guy had his head...

We deserve better!

Scrumpy

Re: The News
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:29:46 AM »

Apparently Prince Philip is having bed rest..
 Wouldn't it be great if he was in attendance!!.. He wouldn't put up with these 'Kids' and their demands.

They will probably play the sympathy card by announcing his 'passing'... just to divert the attention away from Harry,Meghan and Andrew..

Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:57:09 AM »
I wonder if Prince Philip will be there as he is a straight talker.

Well with Philip being totally non-pc & not pulling any punches, I can hear him saying something along the lines of "You stupid p****-driven idiot, bringing an American mixed-race actress into the Firm!"

But on the positive side, the next Queen comes from a family that sells cheap tat so a precedent for cheap tat, within the Royal Family, has already been set.

P.S. Amended, apparently the pc term has to be mixed-race but what the difference is beats me.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:19:08 AM »
Makes a change from over priced biscuits....
So long and thanks for all the fish

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:37:29 PM »
No doubt after today's big meet up, we'll be in for another few days of this.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:50:22 PM »
Makes a change from politics..(Thanks K..)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

digitalis

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:53:09 PM »
It is very important that we show the world that we are not racist. Further,that we want H and Megs to do well,and that they(and other royals)can make their own way in the world. To the above ends, I would suggest Megs takes over all BBC news broadcasts enabling the BBC royal correspondants to be made redundant. At this time,whilst selling content, she and H could sell the latest hair or beard products. Walkers crisps and Bet 365 are always on the look-out for the Sell. On any royal parade or balcony setting each royal could don some logo embroidered suit/dress to sell in their own way.
In my mind H could think to  develop his own army,him as CO. Privatised it could be cost effective.
Megs could have her own Oprah channel.
Both could then franchise the format.
Their chief residence would be made LA.
Once relocated, Megs and H can eat any branded crisps and Cola to allay costs,promote/endorse themselves and/or products.

stellamaris

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:54:50 PM »
Makes a change from over priced biscuits....

Has anyone here ever bought, or know some who has bought, these biscuits?  If so, how wonderful/ordinary/not-so-nice are they?  I think I have seen some on sale in some supermarket or other.

[The only times we have ever bought celebrity branded stuff is from TK Maxx when they look good value. My granddaughter likes Skinny Girl underwear and sports type wear but would never buy at full price.]
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2020, 01:44:52 PM »
After a quick Google I see they are for sale at Waitrose. Picking out Duchy Oaten Biscuits at £3.49 for a 150g / 6oz pack I think I may be sticking to something from Lidl at 50p a tube.

Jacqueline

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2020, 01:54:59 PM »
Aldi digestives are very good at 39p. They dunk very well.  We have tried other brands but come back to good old Aldi.  I'm off there to do a shop this afternoon, I'd rather save a bit of money and spend it on a meal out.  I'm not a snobby shopper!

klondike

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2020, 02:02:27 PM »
Those Aldi ones don't have the Duchy crest on them though. How could you possibly offer them to your afternoon guests?  ;D

digitalis

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2020, 02:03:29 PM »
Hobnob biscuits are native to Britain. GingerNuts too. Oreo biscuits are native Yankee biscuits: they have more cookies than GingerNuts. Gingernut biscuits are usually left behind after use and do not age well. Gingernut biscuits have a short shelf life. Usually,when a better biscuit is found,the gingernut finds itself alone. There are organisations that cater for broken gingernuts,but a fractured gingernut is a broken gingernut. It cannot be put together again. A native Oreo biscuit will oft find its way to the top of the biscuit tin, but how it does this is still 'unknown' and requires further study.
Oreo nuts(or biscuits as they are known in the UK),are often the favorites of George Clooney,Leonardio de Caprio and other Hollywood royalty. They should not be confused with the British ginger-nut. The British ginger-nut comes from an olde line of biscuits whereas the Oreo is a much recent American invention.
Once past its sell-buy date the olde Britsih gingernut is usually discarded. Its shelf life can be extended by judicious professional help,but when its broken it usually goes to the back-of-the-larder to be forgotten.
The outcome for the Oreo is usually much brighter tho. It goes on for years,its shelf life extended thru commercials and its current appeal.

For further information and references,see Biscuits: Now and Then. British and American tastes.
The book is currently on demand and awaiting a re-print.

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2020, 02:05:12 PM »
I imagine Megan would endorse ginger nuts....  ;D

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2020, 02:11:27 PM »

My granddaughter likes Skinny Girl underwear and sports type wear but would never buy at full price.]

That sounds a very non-pc body image shaming name, I'm surprised that they haven't been challenged about it.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2020, 02:25:18 PM »
That sounds a very non-pc body image shaming name, I'm surprised that they haven't been challenged about it.

The brand says its for all women. 🙄 I'd not heard of it before, but perhaps there isn't the demand in this neck of the woods.  I think a brand called Fat Lass might sell well here. 😱
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais