Author Topic: RIP - Sir Roger Scruton  (Read 452 times)

Cassandra

RIP - Sir Roger Scruton
« on: Jan 13, 2020, 01:35:33 PM »
Died yesterday aged 75, a wonderful philosopher and human being. I got to know him well, at first through my work and then latterly, fortunately as a friend.

A wonderful source of considered and level opinion, always delivered with a uniquely sanguine twist.

Lovely man, God Bless you.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

Re: RIP - Sir Roger Scruton
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2020, 01:39:47 PM »
I was just reading about him earlier today.

If you haven't already seen them, I'm certain you'll enjoy these tribute clips.

The 'Prophet without honour' tribute, below the video clips, to him is a nicely written piece about him.

https://www.conservativehome.com

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Cassandra

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2020, 01:53:21 PM »
I was just reading about him earlier today.

If you haven't already seen them, I'm certain you'll enjoy these tribute clips.

The 'Prophet without honour' tribute, below the video clips, to him is a nicely written piece about him.

https://www.conservativehome.com

Thank you, As a staunch Brexiteer I was there at Conway Hall in 2016. Afterwards he was a great solace as it was also for me the last time I stayed at what had been my father's property in the Barbican. We drank and philosophied, but mainly the former. I will miss our odd, these last years get togethers dreadfully.

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »
‘ The greatest trial that all human beings have to confront is that of death’

His trial is over.. Rest peacefully..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2020, 07:28:51 PM »
Death is easy. It's the getting to it that's the trial..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:46:33 PM »
‘ The greatest trial that all human beings have to confront is that of death’

His trial is over.. Rest peacefully..

I knew he was in trouble in the summer and we met up last time I went to London to discuss the quid pro quo of Chemo or no Chemo etc In actual fact it perhaps gave him six months.

That was in a corner of 'Rules' Restaurant in Covent Garden. A famed Philosopher and an ex Bailey hack of very similar vintages openly debating death, sprinkled with much poetry! He'd noticed we'd attracted the attention of an adjoining table of four and invited them to come over and join in, which they did with great dignity and a helpful contribution. I left him in the rain at Waterloo - our last meeting ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:11:39 AM »
Cassandra
I don’t know if you take the Telegraph, but if not I thought that you might like to see this charming tribute to your late friend
>>>Sir -Professor Sir Roger Scruton (Obituaries, January 13) taught me as an undergraduate and was my PhD supervisor.
He was a brilliant, cultured man and, unlike some philosophers, who focus on abstruse technical trivialities, he concentrated on the most important features of the human condition. He wrote courageously against the spirit of the modern age, with its philistine materialism.
In contrast to his malicious detractors, he was scrupulously fair in his criticisms of his opponents and treated them with respect. He was a principled, hardworking, kind and generous man who combined high seriousness with a wonderful, if dry, sense of humour. His life and work have been inspiring and the world is a lesser place without him.
Dr. Frank Palmer
Twickenham, Middlesex. <<<

Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Cassandra

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:00:18 PM »
Cassandra
I don’t know if you take the Telegraph, but if not I thought that you might like to see this charming tribute to your late friend
>>>Sir -Professor Sir Roger Scruton (Obituaries, January 13) taught me as an undergraduate and was my PhD supervisor.
He was a brilliant, cultured man and, unlike some philosophers, who focus on abstruse technical trivialities, he concentrated on the most important features of the human condition. He wrote courageously against the spirit of the modern age, with its philistine materialism.
In contrast to his malicious detractors, he was scrupulously fair in his criticisms of his opponents and treated them with respect. He was a principled, hardworking, kind and generous man who combined high seriousness with a wonderful, if dry, sense of humour. His life and work have been inspiring and the world is a lesser place without him.
Dr. Frank Palmer
Twickenham, Middlesex. <<<

Mike

Mike thank you, I hadn't read this, an elegant piece indeed. I shared a few platforms with him on Brexit where he received enormous criticism of course, particularly from the media. He was so intelligent in his responses, stopping and analysing the tirades of personal insults. He never took offence, always replying with a considered empathy, whilst similarly managing to reinforce his opinion. It's uncommon to find a human being possessing such a balanced delivery of opinion, one reason for him being such a gifted lecturer.

Above all I will miss his towering intellect, where sometimes in conversational debate, one to one - you had to pause to consider and admire the brilliance of his descriptions.

This is the first obituary I've read, as I'm still in a state of shock and sadness to contemplate that I'll never see him again.

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:12:10 PM »

How sad your words are Martin... My thoughts are with you.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.