Author Topic: RIP - Edd Byrnes  (Read 1036 times)

StephenM123

RIP - Edd Byrnes
« on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:13:12 PM »
Edd Byrnes has died if natural causes at the age of 85. Edd played the hipster parking valet in "77 Sunset Strip". His trademark was constantly combing his hair.

He subsequently appeared in a number of films and TV series retiring 20 years ago.

RIP - Edd Byrnes.

Michael Rolls

Re: RIP - Edd Byrnes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:54:12 PM »
'Cookie, cookie, lend me your comb' was squealed by numerous impressionable young females at the time! He had an elder, less well known brother if I remember correctly
One of the things that always stays in the mind - well it least it does in mine - is the inability to realise that it isn't only oneself getting older - it happens to one's heroes (for want of a better word) as well - what right had Bob Willis to be 70, even of dying at that age? Or the perpetual 24 year old Ian Botham on my memory who is now over 60? Etc........

Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:03:17 PM »
I see WIKI spell his 77 Sunset Strip character 'Kookie' - Heavens to Betsy - could I be wrong? Also I can't find any trace of an actor brother (but can find a non-acting one), yet I can visualise a face which I identify as belonging to 'Edd's brother'  - wrong again? Twice in one evening? - I may lose the will to live!
Mike

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:08:10 PM »
'Cookie, cookie, lend me your comb' was squealed by numerous impressionable young females at the time! He had an elder, less well known brother if I remember correctly
One of the things that always stays in the mind - well it least it does in mine - is the inability to realise that it isn't only oneself getting older - it happens to one's heroes (for want of a better word) as well - what right had Bob Willis to be 70, even of dying at that age? Or the perpetual 24 year old Ian Botham on my memory who is now over 60? Etc........

Mike

I also think on such things Mike and I find it helpful to cast my mind back to childhood/youth or when I was a young nurse and recall how I saw and thought of my elders, if at all. How out of touch they may have seemed but only because they were busy with their own ageing and impending dotage..There were one or two elderly neighbours that I knew quite well but only from my own viewpoint.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:14:15 PM »
So true - I remember a book for children - it may even have been one of the Pooh stories, in which reference was made to quite old people, some even over 20! Don't forget, one of Milne's books was 'Now we are seven' aimed at that age group, of whom I would have been one at the time, and to whom 20 would have seemed incredibly old - although not as old as my parents, respectively 41 and 32 at the time - ah, sweet mysteries of youth!
Mike

Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:54:12 PM »
I remember being at my friend's mother's 40th birthday, we were about 19/20 thinking she's so old, now I'm 70 , she was so young!

Used to love 77 Sunset Strip, think I was in junior school.

Scrumpy

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:59:50 PM »

Edd Byrnes.. So handsome ... 
 I remember clicking my fingers after singing the words. ‘Seventy seven ‘ ..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

StephenM123

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2020, 07:16:57 PM »
Edd's original name was Edward Byrne Breitenberger - he dropped his surname and added an "s" to his middle name to create his stage name. His brother used the name Vincent Breitenberger but is rarely mentioned.

stellamaris

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:47:03 PM »
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0126318/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

I don't know how true this bio is, but it appears that 77 Sunset Strip both made him and destroyed him. He missed out on lots of parts because of it and when it finished his ship had sailed. As I recall he was the biggest attraction in that show and I watched only for the bits he was in.  I can't remember anything else about it really.  Efrem  Zimbalist Jr was successful before and after and Roger Smith married and managed Ann Margaret.  Recently, I was watching some other old shows with Efrem Zimbalist who I always thought of as very old and found out that he was! Born 1918 and in the 1960s still playing a James Bond type reeling in much younger women.

p.s Efrem Zimbalist is such a great name.  [Drat, I will have to post this and go back to block out all the /size stuff.]
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Alex22

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2020, 10:48:55 PM »
I used to love Kookie, they were all so handsome though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ZbQS7lj9A

StephenM123

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:35:01 PM »
Combing his hair:

StephenM123

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:42:57 PM »
Roy Long also starred in 77 Sunset Strip for a few years. He died young in the seventies from heart problems. My father died of a heart attack back then. I imagine these days he might have had appropriate treatment and lived to enjoy a retirement!