Author Topic: Cats  (Read 634 times)

xetog

Cats
« on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:30:29 AM »
Anyone seen Cats, the film.  We saw the stage show when it began years ago and I must admit to leaving the theatre confused as to whether there was any story, although the music was great (or as great as ALW gets).  Fast forward a lot of years and the film (do they still use film or should I be saying movie?) version has been panned by the critics, so when my wife expressed a desire to see it I was sceptical.  So we went yesterday and I have to say it wasn't half bad.  The second half that is.  The first half was the familiar drone of ALW background dirge which sent me to sleep, but the second half perked up and combined with quite clever CGI was, dare I say it, quite enjoyable.  Frankly I stopped thinking about cats and viewed the cast as some sort of alien species and then I got the storyline.  Overall, I think I am glad I went even though these days one has to endure 30 minutes of Pearl & Dean rubbish before you get to the main feature.  Still thinking about 1917 though.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Raven

Re: Cats
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:14:42 PM »
Not yet, I downloaded it and it's sitting in a file ready to be watched, just haven't had time yet.

Scrumpy

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:37:33 PM »

It isn't one for me.. I saw the stage musical which I enjoyed..

The new stage musical coming out is 'It's A Wonderful Life'.. based on the James Stewart film..  The film is so brilliant I can't think that they can get anywhere near the beautiful story..  Not even Paul McCartney who is behind it..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:23:01 PM »
Not for me either. The last thing I need is to see Judy Dench cleaning herself cat-fashion in glorious CGI.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:35:18 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

richmond62

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:43:51 PM »
I don't think I want to see Judi Dench ever again; talk about over-exposed: she's been in about 99% of films from Britain in the last 40 years.

Alex22

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:45:43 PM »
I saw the stage show and really enjoyed it, not sure if I'd bother with the film even though I do like Judi Dench.

mick607

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »
I like cats.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:39:05 PM »
Saw the stage show years ago - Niall -now 48 - and Victoria - 45 next month - were still at school IIRC
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:40:42 PM »
Yes, memory does serve (not always the case!). It premiered in 1981 - doesn't time fly. We probably went about '83 or so.
Mike