Author Topic: The subconscious can play funny tricks....  (Read 1357 times)

granny moss

The subconscious can play funny tricks....
« on: Jan 17, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »
 ::) I was watching a film last evening, with subtitles.....towards the middle of it I realised that I was reading French subs instead of english  :D :D :D but the very odd thing was, I was reading them in my mind...in Italian !!! When subtitles come up in spanish, I change them instantly, because I truly dislike spanish ??? but I do like French. rita x

klondike

Re: The subconscious can play funny tricks....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »
I won't watch films with subtitles even when I understand the language spoken as I find reading them distracts from the film far too much and you end up after having read a third rate book.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:05:30 PM »
I don't like subtitles - except when they helpully let one know what is being said in a foreign language, but sometimes I wish they were more common, so poor is the sound quality of modern offerings - and it's not my acknowledgedly poor hearing. I can understand every word in older films - 'Casablanca' for instance, or the 1960 Magnificent Seven' etc.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:54:31 PM »
I can't stand Subtitles, won't watch a film with them, too distracting for me. :-\

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2020, 02:09:14 PM »
I'm glad to have subtitles if a foreign language is used but not for a whole programme. Mind you, they're not there for our benefit but for the hard of hearing.. :)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2020, 02:12:05 PM »
I put them on most non-live TV programmes, although I have hearing aids the background music often muffles the dialogue.  Hopeless with anything live as they are out of sync.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

xetog

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2020, 09:58:36 AM »
We quite like most foreign films with subtitles especially the Scandi genre, but they are dropping in quality quite fast.  I get the feeling that having discovered that Brits are suckers for such things, they are now sub-titling any old rubbish and selling it on to the BBC and ITV.  However, on the subject of sub-titles, a major problem is that the captions sometimes don't match what has been said.  Whilst watching a French crime thriller some time ago, the sub-title dialog was completely different in places to the sound track and a recent Spanish production was so bad that we kept turning to each other exclaiming in unison "That's not what he/she said".  I guess where issues exist and a true translation might be confusing there is a justifiable excuse, otherwise it's just sloppy translation.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Johned

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2020, 06:57:52 PM »
Being rather mutt and jeff, I invariably have to click the remote button to bring up the dialogue words on screen.  Today's so called actors/actresses speak in muffled undertones, particularly transatlantic thespians.  I watched an old picture on TV the other evening "My brother Johnathon" with Michael Denison, Dulcie Gray (his real life wife), Finlay Currie, Ronald Howard and Stephen Murray et al.  Every word from the aforementioned was crystal clear and enunciated so precisely; spoken English, a delight to hear, our glorious language at it's best.  

Jacqueline

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2020, 07:12:30 PM »
Johned,

I agree with you, you can hear the dialog on old films.  My husband is deaf, he cannot hear the dialog when there is background music playing at the same time which happens a lot in modern films, what's the point in that? Most of the Talking Pictues channel old film are OK and he can hear them.  In modern films a lot the actors diction is awful, they mumble (same with modern music) it's hard to follow the plot.  I've rewound many times to try and understand what was being said with no luck.  Most annoying.

biglouis

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2020, 08:26:25 PM »
I love foreign language films and will watch anything from Chinese to European ones if the plot or subject interests me. I have begun selling on a Spanish website so am currently teaching myself Spanish, so I am finding that films do help.

However what I find really distracting is that b****y woman who comes on signing in late night programs and I with there was a way to get rid of her. All that arm waving is very distracting. Surely there can be a way devised to turn that off if you dont happen to be deaf.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

xetog

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:10:19 AM »
Mumbling/whispering seems to be the current trend.  I used to be able to lip-read to a certain extent when hearing was masked by music or action, but now everyone seems to speak through clenched teeth or pursed lips, just look for it and you will see how prevalent it is.  I agree with Biglouis about signing though, usually when the screen is captioned anyway so deaf people should be able to read it.  What confuses me is the talk-over button which puts a description of the action on for the blind, but if you can't see the action, why watch the TV?

Mike.X

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:12:57 AM »
Mumbling/whispering seems to be the current trend.  I used to be able to lip-read to a certain extent when hearing was masked by music or action, but now everyone seems to speak through clenched teeth or pursed lips, just look for it and you will see how prevalent it is.  I agree with Biglouis about signing though, usually when the screen is captioned anyway so deaf people should be able to read it.  What confuses me is the talk-over button which puts a description of the action on for the blind, but if you can't see the action, why watch the TV?

Mike.X
To listen to it? Depends on what it is, but perhaps in some instances the dialogue and the description are enough to enjoy?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:14:33 AM »
I can't speak for the blind, but some films have enough information in the dialogue to make it possible to follow the plot from the sound track with very little intervention from a narrator. Some films used to be available on audio cassette.

Alfred

« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:15:12 AM »
I'm not sure if this applies , regarding subconsciousness, but in the past I had a nice job as a buyer for a west end store, and when seeing reps, over time I found I could read up side down , that is reading what the rep was writing down sitting opposite me,

I wasn't fast but over time became reasonabley sufficient and able to which I found it useful,
in business,

xetog

« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:15:52 AM »
I stand corrected.

Mike.X