Author Topic: The subconscious can play funny tricks....  (Read 1356 times)

klondike

Re: The subconscious can play funny tricks....
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2020, 10:40:03 AM »
I think a lot of the problem with films is that they are made with half a dozen or more sound channels for the cinema and balancing that lot through a stereo or even stereo plus centre standard TV sound setup leads to this problem. Of course getting older doesn't help either. I got a sound bar for my TV but it doesn't really help and I'm not going to get a full surround sound setup.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2020, 11:15:50 AM »
I’m in the same boat. Our main TV has a sound bar, and Veronica used to say that the sound quality was a bit better than the TV’s own speakers, but I couldn’t hear any difference
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2020, 11:51:15 AM »
The sound quality probably is better but it doesn't help with the clarity for me. I have no problems with most of the productions but some films and the like with intrusive supposedly background music does mean I do miss some bits. I still wouldn't use subtitles though as I'd find that far more distracting than missing odd bits of dialog.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2020, 12:43:42 PM »
I wouldn't mind if it was just odd bits - but often it is enough to make me switch off because I have no idea what is going on. The series a while back of SS-GB (or was it GB-SS, can't remember) I gave up on after the first episode - there was a major female character and I literally never understood a single word she mumbled. 'Jamaica Inn' - which Veronica had so looked forward to - it was one of her favourite books - was just as bad. There were so many complaints about the music swamping the dialogue that episode two was a bit better and Veronica preserved, but I just gave up and went into the other room and read whilst it was on.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!