Author Topic: Jigsaw puzzles  (Read 604 times)

xetog

Jigsaw puzzles
« on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:03:34 AM »
Who likes jigsaw puzzles?  In my dim and distant youth I had an Aunt who was pretty fanatical about them, so I was taught about completing quite complicated puzzles at a very young age and enjoyed them right up into my teens when girls and then family life took over and apart from a brief flirtation with computer jigsaws a few years ago had really lost interest.

At Christmas my daughter and her husband, knowing of my previous puzzle history presented me with a 1000 piece teaser.  The shop where they bought it said it was particularly difficult because it is random designs and has no pattern.  They also, knowing that space was limited, gave me a sheet that I can spread out on the dining table, but roll up when I have finished without disturbing what I have done.

Apart from an initial 4 hour session sorting out the edge and corner pieces, I have spent a couple of one and a half hour sessions (15 min to clear the table and unroll, 60 min puzzling and 15 min to roll up and reset the table) and so far have found places for about 200 pieces and am keen to continue having re-found my enthusiasm for the genre.  Lack of space tends to slow down the process as I have no surface to spread out the pieces, instead relying on moving pieces individually from one box to another when looking for matches.  I will definitely go in search of more subjects even though my family think it's boring, any recommendations?

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Sheila

Re: Jigsaw puzzles
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:09:52 AM »
It may not appeal to you Mike but may appeal to one of the others.  When I volunteered in a charity shop, we had to make sure all the jigsaw pieces were there.  A lady who loved jigsaws would pop in from time to time, take all the jigsaws and test them, sealing the boxes and marking them 'complete'.

Another lady popped in to collect any dolls which she would dress beautifully and return.  They were so good that they used to sell quickly.

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:11:06 AM »
I think the last time I did a jigsaw I was about 12   ;D

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:17:30 AM »
My S-i-L , who must have a sadistic steak within her make up, presented me with one for my birthday in 2018, my first birthday without Veronica, doubtless thinking it would take my mind off things. It was a bit of a stinker, but I managed to complete it, albeit not without much bad language, so she gave me another one, even harder, but again I managed to complete it. Then she gave me two for my birthday last year - 28/7 . Finally, when she came up for Christmas, she accepted that it was beyond me, so it and its unopened companeiro are charity shop bound. I have threatened her with all the plagues of ancient Egypt if she dares to buy me another one!
Mike  ;D ;D ;D
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

xetog

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:20:40 AM »
Excellent idea Sheila.  I will give it a try.  I am already wondering what I shall do with the finished product.  Of course it could go to the charity shop and I could possibly source a new one at the same time.

Mike.X

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2020, 12:24:53 PM »

I absolutely love jigsaws, been doing them all my life. Have been doing them online for the last 15 or so years, it's great to just press save and not have the bits all over the table or on trays. I have over 800 stored online and still adding every now and again. I use a site called "Lena Games/Bigjig" I tend to do them more at this time of year while listening to my audio books. In the better weather I'm outside a lot more.

http://www.lenagames.com/bigjig.htm

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2020, 12:44:32 PM »
Excellent idea Sheila.  I will give it a try.  I am already wondering what I shall do with the finished product.  Of course it could go to the charity shop and I could possibly source a new one at the same time.

Mike.X

Our charity shop sells lots of jigsaws.  We even get unopened ones donated, probably unwanted gifts.  They are a bargain!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Sheila

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2020, 12:50:38 PM »
I can't volunteer any more because of my lungs.  Do you manage all right GrannyMac?  I know we both have bronchiectasis but I found that my asthma flared up when a 'mouldy' bag of stuff that probably lived in the garage for a long time was brought in.

Also I had to have vast amounts of antibiotic for 18 months to tamper down a sort of non contagious TB and that knocked me flat.

If you read this Mike (xetog) - how is your leg?  Has it healed up now?

xetog

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2020, 01:12:03 PM »
Hi Sheila.  No not healed yet.  The dressing nurse reckons another 4 weeks should see it healed enough to leave off dressings.  At present the unhealed area is 2cm x 1 cm (max) and was originally about 6cm x 6 cm, but skin is rapidly reclaiming the unhealed area. Thanks for your concern.

Mike.X

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2020, 01:39:20 PM »
This is the first week I've not been to the shop for ages Sheila. I'm fortunately rarely ill.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Alfred

« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2020, 07:16:09 PM »
My daughter loves them and at times buys them from one of our local charity shops, although rare there has been times when a piece has been missing but rare ,
of course she has a lot of new ones bought over time , but over all really enjoys them,

Johned

« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2020, 07:45:59 PM »
Was there not a rather droll Tony Hancock prog where he completed a jigsaw but the final piece was missing?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2020, 09:02:03 PM »
Was there not a rather droll Tony Hancock prog where he completed a jigsaw but the final piece was missing?
Don't remember that, but do remember the priceless last page episode
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!