Author Topic: Who buys these things?  (Read 1586 times)

klondike

Who buys these things?
« on: Jan 31, 2020, 09:24:33 PM »
Somebody must because it's an often repeated format. I've seen constant repeats of an advert for a magazine that carries parts to build a 1/8 scale sports car. Fair enough for folks who like building models but the ad also has a bar along the bottom saying

First issue £2.99 normally £8.99 100 issues. That's best part of £900 for a 2 foot model car. To me it's incredible that this would sell.
So long and thanks for all the fish

zoony

Re: Who buys these things?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2020, 09:34:53 PM »
 They were forced to put the bar there because the original blether didn't make clear what a rip-off it is and even with it some folk still go for it..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2020, 09:43:58 PM »
I guessed that they must have had to add that info to the advert. Do you know if this is a recent requirement? I don't recall seeing it on earlier ads of this type. I only noticed this ad as I've been looking through the higher number Freesat channels which seem to have as long showing ads as they do the actual programs.

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2020, 10:20:24 PM »
Not really though I remember some minor scandal about it a year or two back..You sound bored mate!  ;D

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2020, 11:34:15 PM »
Not really though I remember some minor scandal about it a year or two back..You sound bored mate!  ;D

The scandal started when kids were buying the first part for a couple of quid & their parents didn't realise the true cost.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2020, 11:58:20 PM »
Yes, that was it..Thanks D..

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2020, 08:39:44 AM »
You sound bored mate!  ;D
I think it must be the lack of Brexit bun fights to keep me amused. Now if I put the TV news on it's just more stabbings in London, moans about Trump, the odd new pandemic, end of the world climate emergency etc. etc. At least the Brexit stuff got me angry while what's left is just depressing.

mick607

« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2020, 01:15:09 PM »
We could always discuss EU imigrant repatriation ideas.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2020, 01:45:20 PM »
Please, please do not forget that the end of the world is all the fault of Brexit!
Mike  ;D ;D :D
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2020, 01:58:00 PM »
I think it must be the lack of Brexit bun fights to keep me amused. Now if I put the TV news on it's just more stabbings in London, moans about Trump, the odd new pandemic, end of the world climate emergency etc. etc. At least the Brexit stuff got me angry while what's left is just depressing.

Yes, but we still have 6 Nations Rugby..

cowboy wisdom.

Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2020, 10:06:53 PM »
We could always discuss EU imigrant repatriation ideas.

Reading a chart in another post of how much Poland and the other eastern European countries have taken out of the EU,  I'm surprised they haven't all gone home as their streets must be paved with gold at our expense.

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2020, 10:50:25 AM »

Reading a chart in another post of how much Poland and the other eastern European countries have taken out of the EU,  I'm surprised they haven't all gone home as their streets must be paved with gold at our expense.
Probably because there is no work for them at home. All being done by Lithuanians.

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2020, 11:14:17 AM »

A lot of the Polish have gone back to Poland, it's the less desirable Easterns that we're stuck with.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2020, 01:06:30 PM »
Probably because there is no work for them at home. All being done by Lithuanians.
;D ;D ;D

klondike

« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2020, 04:14:10 PM »
Just saw a different one. Model Supermarine Spitfire. First issue £1.99 then 119 more at £9.99. Just shy of £1,200.