Author Topic: dress sense how we look today,  (Read 1140 times)

biglouis

Re: dress sense how we look today,
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2020, 10:09:09 AM »
As someone who sells vintage "girly" stuff online and has always had an interest in the history of fashion I think the way people mostly dress now is so sad.

A lot of the old time fashions were uncomfortable - think of Victorian corsets and high stiff collars. I would not want to have to put up with that for everyday. In fact one of the great things about working from home is that I can loll around in a kaftan which covers a multitude of sins but still renders me decent if I have to answer the door.

However it is very sad that people no longer dress up for special occasions like going to the theater, opera, dinners parties and so on. Even in London many of the so called smart people dress like slobs. Part of the enjoyment of going to somewhere like Glyndebourne is the opportunity to dress up. It shows respect for the performers and gives a real sense of occasion.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

klondike

« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2020, 10:32:00 AM »
Probably true but as few bother I don't. I've only worn a tie for funerals and weddings since I retired and the last time around had to buy a new suit as the one I'd kept had inexplicably shrunk in the wardrobe
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2020, 06:20:47 AM »
I wear a collar and tie when visiting or going to appointments, but I only wear a suit to weddings, funerals (too many of late) and christenings. Rather smug about the fact that my suits are over 25 years old and still fit
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2020, 08:23:39 AM »
Coats are shorter and hats less formal and more men are wearing shorts even in cold weather.

granny moss

« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2020, 09:10:21 AM »
I agree. The pleasure of dressing for an occasion ...I remember when going to the ballet, I went to Selfriges in London, and the hat ladies had great fun making for me a small hat on my head !!! ;) it was black,tiny and with veil with fluffy black dots....Great fun...Once a year I went with Micky to the Masons dinner and dance in London, at Claridges and had a grand time...Loved when as we entered the ball/dining  room we were announced by a gentleman dressed in a colourful livery....I remember had to wear full evening clothes and with elbow long gloves !!! ??? Always us "ladies" were given a lovely present each...I still use the jewellery box. I love clothes. Do not have to spend a fortune. When we retired, Micky and I did the Charity shop tours weekly. The ladies in the shops were all so lovely and friendly. We got some very good bargains and I only chose the best. At times items still had the shop tag on them. And newshoes were also a good find.  I also collected stuff. Especially embroidery.Lovely times ! ;) Good memories. gmx

klondike

« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »
Rather smug about the fact that my suits are over 25 years old and still fit
Perhaps you bought a better wardrobe than I did. Mine has shrunk a load of jeans as well as the suit.
So long and thanks for all the fish

granny moss

« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2020, 09:35:48 AM »
My wordrobe has squatters.. moths...and they churned the fronts of my pure new wool jumpers and blazers into colanders....Why, oh why do they only chew at the front of things ??? ? And only the ones I like most ? gmx  :'(

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2020, 11:01:20 AM »
Perhaps you bought a better wardrobe than I did. Mine has shrunk a load of jeans as well as the suit.
;D ;D ;D  Nice one!

Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2020, 12:35:58 PM »

Even homemade wardrobes are known to shrink close...
 I think it depends on what area you live in..  Kensington and Richmond don't suffer this problem as much as some areas.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.