Author Topic: The Admiral  (Read 377 times)

ronyork

The Admiral
« on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:00:27 AM »
Randy Andy not to be an Admiral, He is a rear Admiral, will they miss him? I think not, what I wonder were his qualifications Oh yes he is the Queens son that speaks volumes.

Michael Rolls

Re: The Admiral
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:17:00 AM »
Much as I abhor - if proven - the allegations against him, he was a combat helicopter pilot in the Falklands and was promoted several times on merit, not because of who he was, including being CO of HMS Cottesmore, a mine hunter. The modern Navy doesn't have enough warships to entrust any of them to officers not up to the job.
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2020, 10:16:40 AM »
I agree Mike, so its a real pity he blotted his copybook in civvy street.  As a son of the Queen, he had so much privilege, and IMO, he abused it.  Low profile is called for, not flag waving on his birthday.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Theodore Roosevelt

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2020, 01:45:17 PM »
I thought he had retired from the navy, so how come he can be promoted  ? 

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2020, 02:47:33 PM »
He is royal, and they do.
Remainers have the rest of 2020 to transition to rejoiners

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »
I thought he had retired from the navy, so how come he can be promoted  ?

He should have stayed in, less mischief for him to get involved in, AND, kept him in a paid job instead of lounging around.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2020, 04:05:56 PM »
Much as I abhor - if proven - the allegations against him, he was a combat helicopter pilot in the Falklands and was promoted several times on merit, not because of who he was, including being CO of HMS Cottesmore, a mine hunter. The modern Navy doesn't have enough warships to entrust any of them to officers not up to the job.
Mike
Mike,
I always thought that the most admirable of the Royal Family's qualities - the willingness to put their own offspring in harms way in service of the nation.
Andrew and Harry both saw active service in war zones.
How many of the Royal Sneerers would do the same thing?
Issues of rank, issues of Rank Hypocracy more like.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2020, 04:17:21 PM by BazzerPontefract »

mick607

« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2020, 04:31:28 PM »
Mike,
I always thought that the most admirable of the Royal Family's qualities - the willingness to put their own offspring in harms way in service of the nation.
Andrew and Harry both saw active service in war zones.
How many of the Royal Sneerers would do the same thing?
Issues of rank, issues of Rank Hypocracy more like.
In harms way ? My aunt Nellie.
Leave Means Leave !
[email protected]

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2020, 04:54:47 PM »
In harms way ? My aunt Nellie.
Mick,
I would have thought being a decoy for exocet missiles, Harms Way.  Even being on board ship when not in an helicopter, targeted by exocets, was harms way too.
Harry is just the same, regular infantry patrols into enemy territory, that is until the British press put a target on his back by reporting he was doing front line service in Afghanistan.  He was withdrawn not because he drew a target to himself, but because he drew a target to everyone in his unit.
You must be becoming forgetful, or you're of such extreme Republican sympathies, you're willing to deny the facts.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2020, 05:01:02 PM by BazzerPontefract »

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:00:46 PM »
Royal children are expected to join one of the services and have been for many generations. Is it too much to expect for a life of wealth, privilege and, in some cases, self-indulgence?
" There ain't no Devil, it's jus' God when he's drunk.."

Tom Waites

ronyork

« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:09:50 PM »
 Thoroughly disagree with your views Mike , having been in the forces, yes you o where are sent, they are no braver than the usual serviceman but when the views of the flunkies are added they appear as specials of some sort, such brave fellows they are cosseted in the forces as they are fussed in Britain . And as trade ambassador some of the dealins are now looked on as a little shaky , I just hope he is called to book to explain his behaviour with his shaky friends and youngsters, And what did he know about trade? no doubt someone will tell us he was an expert, You can fool some of the people some of the time but you cannot fool all of the people all  of the time. I am afraid the spellin  appears bad but I cannot access the a certain letter on my keyboard.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:36:37 PM »
Royal children are expected to join one of the services and have been for many generations. Is it too much to expect for a life of wealth, privilege and, in some cases, self-indulgence?
Zoony,
What are you talking about?
Andrew and Harry's service was active, not ceremonial.
William took on one of the most hazardous of service roles - an air-sea rescue pilot pulling sailors out of the sea in 100mph gales.
You belittle yourself by trying to belittle what the royal family do in service of the nation.
Not drug smoking hippies these MEN.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:39:18 PM »
Thoroughly disagree with your views Mike , having been in the forces, yes you o where are sent, they are no braver than the usual serviceman but when the views of the flunkies are added they appear as specials of some sort, such brave fellows they are cosseted in the forces as they are fussed in Britain . And as trade ambassador some of the dealins are now looked on as a little shaky , I just hope he is called to book to explain his behaviour with his shaky friends and youngsters, And what did he know about trade? no doubt someone will tell us he was an expert, You can fool some of the people some of the time but you cannot fool all of the people all  of the time. I am afraid the spellin  appears bad but I cannot access the a certain letter on my keyboard.
A right royal Republican rant, that.

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:42:50 PM »
You just have to be offensive don't you? And I assume the capitalisation of 'MEN' is your way of questioning my own masculinity..I'll leave it there..
" There ain't no Devil, it's jus' God when he's drunk.."

Tom Waites

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2020, 06:16:15 PM »
You just have to be offensive don't you? And I assume the capitalisation of 'MEN' is your way of questioning my own masculinity..I'll leave it there..
I thought it positive just to point out the courageous side of the princes' characters - a couragous side I don't have.