Author Topic: No Sympathy From Me  (Read 3805 times)

Bee

Re: No Sympathy From Me
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:13:47 AM »
 ;D

I have had to bite my tongue on many occasions. :(
The only way is up....

Diasi

« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:24:51 AM »
;D

I have had to bite my tongue on many occasions. :(

I think that shops should adopt the policy being introduced in many public offices whereby rudeness or unacceptable behaviour towards staff will not be tolerated.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Bee

« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:29:42 AM »
Definitely agree with that Phil.
The only way is up....

GrannyMac

« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:42:24 AM »
An explanation of the stupid thing your nephew had done or said would have been helpful.

I agree.  As a front line council worker (albeit nearly twenty years ago) I met my share of silly old farts, along with persistent complainers, and much worse.  Members of our team were abused on a daily basis by people who just wanted someone to blame for their crap lives.  I've bitten my tongue too Bee  ;) . I never resorted to name calling the customer, but often went into the back office and vented once they'd gone!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Bee

« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:54:17 AM »

I agree.  As a front line council worker (albeit nearly twenty years ago) I met my share of silly old farts, along with persistent complainers, and much worse.  Members of our team were abused on a daily basis by people who just wanted someone to blame for their crap lives.  I've bitten my tongue too Bee  ;) . I never resorted to name calling the customer, but often went into the back office and vented once they'd gone!

Neither have I GrannyMac but boy has it been tempting at times but like you I have vented on my breaks to other staff.
The only way is up....

Raven

« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2020, 11:19:00 AM »

Yeah..Something to do with gorging himself on honey..I'd bet that there are more obese folk in economy than business. Better off people tend to eat more sensibly and have a better diet plus exercise..That's a fact. Many people on lower incomes eat more and of the wrong foods. Sorry if that's not a popular thing to say and it's a generalisation but it's true. I'd put a link here but it's easy enough to find.

When I went on a strict diet a while ago I went shopping for the proper foods and found to my annoyance that the healthy stuff was a good bit more expensive than the normal stuff. The price of fruit was very high. People on small incomes would struggle to buy healthy, so just buy the cheaper stuff. If diet stuff was cheaper than normal food then I'm sure more people would be slim.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2020, 11:39:03 AM »
I'm sure that you are right. In a way it was easier for my generation - apart from fish and chips, 'fast food' was non-existent and ready meals ditto, so folk had to start with basic ingredients
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2020, 11:55:23 AM »
Fast food costs more than putting a meal together at home. If somebody can afford fast food then they can afford reasonably healthy ingredients instead.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Scrumpy

« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2020, 12:08:56 PM »

People should take more responsibility for their weight gain.. As stated.. It is cheaper to put a healthy meal together then a take-away..
 It seems to me that bigger people (mostly) need something or someone to blame rather than take the blame themselves..
Why should airlines and taxis have to cater for their negligence.! I have read of cranes being used to get them out of a building.. It costs the NH money to house them in hospital..

I have never met a rude cashier.. I think they take a lot of stick from RUDE/IGNORANT customers.. I couldn't bite my tongue..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

biglouis

« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2020, 02:07:24 PM »
There were two queues at the counter. One is for people buying cigarettes and the other is for customer service which includes video games. You choose a card from a rack and take it to the customer service point where the assistant is supposed to go into the stock room and retrieve the game. So there is a bit of effort involved. When Chris did this the assistant told him there were none of the selected game in stock without even looking. He asked her to check in the stock room and she refused because she was busy. At this point there were 3 assistants standing behind the counter only one of which was occupied serving the queue; so its not as if she was run off her feet. She was too busy chatting to her mates. As he walked away he heard her say "silly old fart".

He was not going to bother complaining but I encouraged him to.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2020, 02:21:55 PM »
There were two queues at the counter. One is for people buying cigarettes and the other is for customer service which includes video games. You choose a card from a rack and take it to the customer service point where the assistant is supposed to go into the stock room and retrieve the game. So there is a bit of effort involved. When Chris did this the assistant told him there were none of the selected game in stock without even looking. He asked her to check in the stock room and she refused because she was busy. At this point there were 3 assistants standing behind the counter only one of which was occupied serving the queue; so its not as if she was run off her feet. She was too busy chatting to her mates. As he walked away he heard her say "silly old fart".

He was not going to bother complaining but I encouraged him to.

Had he not got the intelligence to realise the most likely reason she didn't check was because he was the 5th person that day to ask for the same video, which wasn't in stock, so she didn't need to check for a 6th time?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2020, 04:20:02 PM »
If that is the reason she did not check then perhaps she should have told the customer the reason..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
Politely..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2020, 12:25:16 AM »
Well there are always some dimwits here who assume that the customer is being abusive rather than simply expecting the assistant to do the work they are paid for, rather than chatting to their equally brainless mates.

If one of my staff had spoken to a customer like that, no matter what the provocation, they would have been on report to the area boss.

From my own experience of managing staff in a customer facing environment I know that many employees today often do not have the initiative to find themselves a task to do during slack periods, but just stand around looking bored, chatting or checking their wretched phones. In the first job I ever started (age 14) I was told to keep busy by tidying up or brushing the floor etc when there were no customers. It made the time pass more quickly.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2020, 12:32:49 AM »
You seem to be judging them as they judged you? Not to be too biblical about it.. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.