Author Topic: Films of books  (Read 194 times)

zoony

Films of books
« on: Feb 09, 2020, 03:43:32 PM »
It sometimes works well but in general a film has a hard time competing with a book imo..One's imagination does it better, as with the new film 'Dolittle' which I watched last evening..Dr Dolittle has a very special place in my childhood reading and was always a favourite so I wish I hadn't watched this over-Americanised 're-imagining', as they call it these days where we used the word 'version'. I realise that it's a different time and kids aren't as we were but, though it's a good-enough piece of entertainment and Robert Downey jr works hard, at the end of it I was quite sad. :'(
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Raven

Re: Films of books
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:47:10 PM »
I read an awful lot, have since I was a child. I am always wary when I see a set of books that I love being adapted for TV. They mostly seem to rip the books to pieces and I really hate it when that happens. The latest is the Agatha Raisin Series, it's awful what they've done to the stories and characters. Did the same to Hamish MacBeth, ripped the heart out of the books.
Same thing happened to Twilight, Vampire Diaries, Secret Circle, The Dresden Files. To name a few.

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:50:06 PM »
The shame might be that very few people under 40 even know that they're books.. ???
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:58:51 AM »
One the other way round. I have enjoyed the Inspector Gently TV series so got an omnibus edition of the books. Read the first story with growing disappointment, didn’t bother with the rest. Compared to the TV, in the word of dear ole Eric ‘RUBBISH’!
OTOH I agree that most TV and film adaptions that I have seen fail to live up to the printed page. Most recently, Lorna Doone: very poor.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!