Author Topic: technology, is it a good thing or a bad thing.  (Read 1870 times)

Alfred

technology, is it a good thing or a bad thing.
« on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:31:04 AM »
For many of us who have numerous gadgets in our homes, such as the many household appliances that are in daily use,

not counting the smart phones, tablets,  laptops, desktops, electronic games, watches that monitor your heart beat, and every thing else, including telling us the time,

and the ability to skype send emails and texts to any one elsewhere in the world,

so is this technology good for us , as many children use these electronic devices, as they play games, on them, so with all the devices that are computerised, making our lives easier, such as on line shopping, deliveries such as textiles, food, and house hold products all within easy reach of pressing a few buttons,  is this making or creating problems in other areas,

not using our brains enough , not writing letters, even speaking grammatically, losing the ability to think as we type out some thing and the machine automatically corrects any spelling mistake  that we make, 

programmes on the television showing and telling us how to do this that and everything else as well, as slowly were brain washed into seeing products that were persuaded to try or buy, even telling us what is good or bad for us when it comes to food, and then shopping on line as we buy without leaving the chair,

for many even exercising has gone out of the window , as many people drive rather than walk to the local shops for their needs,

Q; so is all this technology good or bad for us,  have you any thoughts on modern day life in general , if so will you share your thoughts with us,.

Michael Rolls

Re: technology, is it a good thing or a bad thing.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:05:58 AM »
Alfred
I don't think that there can be any one answer, never mind a 'good or bad' decision. I can't help but feel that some technology is not necessarily bad, but pretty pointless - computer games are a field that immediately spring to mind. The world wouldn't be one jot worse off if they had never been invented, but they are an offshoot of the sort of technology that has given us, for example, CAT scans which most certainly have improved the lot of many, even saving lives that would have otherwise been lost.
What is good technology, what is useful technology and what is technology just for the sake of it - the 'we do it because we can' syndrome - probably differs virtually from person to person. Medical technology saved Veronica's life in 2015 when she very nearly died, giving us a further two and a half years together that would otherwise have been lost to us. And so on
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:23:48 PM »
Alfred
...I can't help but feel that some technology is not necessarily bad, but pretty pointless - computer games are a field that immediately spring to mind. The world wouldn't be one jot worse off if they had never been invented...
Mike

I wouldn't write off computer games so quickly Mike :)

I play them regularly and I believe I benefit as a result. It has been shown that people aged 60 to 85 can, by playing a video game, improve cognitive performance and reduce some of the adverse effects on the brain associated with aging such as working memory and sustained attention.

For youngsters it has been shown that video games have both positive and negative aspects. In most studies the negative would seem to be the risk of addiction which I believe is minimised in us older folk.

Of course, there are other ways of improving our cognitive performance, but the variety of computer games is extensive and finding a game that is fun to play is quite easy.

Anyone else here play computer games?

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:54:40 PM »
Alfred..Much of the technology developed for game playing is also used in the development and usage of modern weaponry, for example armed and unarmed drones. One has to take the good with the bad with advances in anything..Was the development of steam technology a good thing? Ask the workers thrown into unemployment by steam engines and the offshoots not to mention electricity..The huge numbers of men and women whose jobs have been taken by advances in technology would probably curse it but the people whose lives have been saved or extended by it would bless it..You pays yer money..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Raven

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2020, 03:12:37 PM »
Not the game type I think you mean, I like my Wooden Block Puzzle, and my online jigsaws. But that's it.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2020, 03:25:04 PM »
Raven
How do you play an online jigsaw
Mike

biglouis

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2020, 03:33:13 PM »
Since my doctorate is in human computer interaction I have an ambivalent relationship with technology.

Much of the technology we have today has benefited the not so mobile. I am thinking of internet shopping, home grocery deliveries and so on. When you are disabled with no domestic support these things are a boon and would certainly be missed.

I have to agree about the way in which many people are addicted to their smart phones. I have resisted the temptation to get one and only gave in when I needed one to run my new home security system. But I really feel sorry for people who absolutely HAVE to be constantly connected, afraid of missing anything, and conforming with what their friends and major influences say. That part of the technology is a contemporary BIG BROTHER and I have no regret for not being part of it.

From time to time I have to explain to people that I am not constantly glued to a phone. To be truthful I find it difficult to keep the contempt out of my responses when I argue that the way in which many people use their phones and technology expecting an immediate response is a violation of my privacy.

I play chess and scrabble with my computers regularly and running a business keeps  my brain as alert as it needs to be.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

klondike

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »
Anyone else here play computer games?
Mostly on my tablet. Occasionally on my phone. Very rarely on my laptop. Never on my desktop.

They wouldn't be something most gamers would consider to be games though.
Patience with my favourite being Freecell.
Word puzzles.
A variety of other puzzle type games which rarely last the course with me and get deleted.
I liked "The Room" series of puzzle games on Android.
The closest to action would be Tetris type games but I quickly get bored with them.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2020, 03:46:45 PM »
I do play chess and solitaire on the computer and enjoy so doing, but to be honest if I lost tomorrow chess wouldn’t bother me and I might take the low tech option with solitaire and buy a pack of playing cards!
Mike

klondike

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2020, 03:55:39 PM »
It's convenience. With a phone or tablet you don't need any extra space and can while away a boring wait just playing solitaire. I don't think you could get a pack of cards out in the doctors waiting room or on public transport easily. Most of the puzzle style games couldn't be played any other way.

biglouis

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:12:39 PM »
I love freecell! And spider solitaire
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:22:31 PM »
The android patience game I have offers 250 variants. I'm guessing there will be spider so I'll take a look at that type.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:27:37 PM »
It's convenience. With a phone or tablet you don't need any extra space and can while away a boring wait just playing solitaire. I don't think you could get a pack of cards out in the doctors waiting room or on public transport easily. Most of the puzzle style games couldn't be played any other way.
Horses for courses. I would never use a tablet or phone in a doctor’s waiting room or the like, and the only time I have used public transport in the last ten years or so were overnight sleepers to visit my sister on hospital and then to attend her funeral
Mike

klondike

« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:44:35 PM »
I find the games or listening to audio books on my phone more entertaining than most of the stuff on TV these days.

Raven

« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2020, 05:09:25 PM »
Raven
How do you play an online jigsaw
Mike

You Google free jigsaws. I use a site called Lena Games Bigjig. I found it the best but it wasn't free, I paid around a tenner, and got over 300 puzzles, there are often new sets too, all free as I paid my tenner. You also get free a new puzzle every week and a programme to turn any pictures or photos into jigsaws. I've been using this site now for over 14 years. If you Google it you can look through it all, I can't send you a link from the tablet but will do from my big Computer, if you want me to.