Author Topic: Fraud Squad  (Read 464 times)

sparky

Fraud Squad
« on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:43:28 AM »
Have just watched Fraud Squad on TV, where two foreign scumbags had defrauded two very elderly ladies, had each been defrauded of nearly £100,000, great, they went on trial at the Bailey, found guilty, and what did our useless judicial system give them,? 2 years suspended, yes, suspended sentence, what sort of punishment is that, I would have given them 5 years in a proper jail not one of our now luxury hotels, and when released done everything possible to deport them and their families, irrespective of if they were born here,

Michael Rolls

Re: Fraud Squad
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2020, 11:41:58 AM »
Did the ladies get their money back - and regardless of the answer I agree totally with you
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2020, 11:58:10 AM »
Mike, yes the bank refunded the money, I would say the bank had been a bit lax, in how the fraudsters had got their hands on the money, Nevertheless the ongoing stress inflicted on these two lone nearly ninety year old ladies by these scum, deserved a much more severe sentence in my mind.

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2020, 12:29:30 PM »
I recorded that, going to have an afternoon catching up with programmes I recorded the last few days. Frozen n Soaked from dogs walk, rest of the day in front of the fire.....If I can get near it for the dog.

StephenM123

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2020, 12:37:03 PM »
We have had issues in this area with bogus builders, roofers and tree surgeons massively overcharging and doing poor work. If caught the sentences are trivial. Vaguely recall one roofer charging about £20,000 for a few hundred £s worth of roofing repairs. Caught, slap on wrist and a few months suspended.

As these people are usually fit I think they should get a few years hard labour. Come on Boris let's see chain gangs fixing potholes, clearing drainage ditches, etc. They are scum who do not deserve any rights!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »
As I understand it, the idea behind a suspended sentence is that the miscreant will think twice about reoffending during the suspension period. To my mind a pretty useless idea - where’s the punishment in that?
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »
Mike, yes the bank refunded the money, I would say the bank had been a bit lax, in how the fraudsters had got their hands on the money, Nevertheless the ongoing stress inflicted on these two lone nearly ninety year old ladies by these scum, deserved a much more severe sentence in my mind.

A rather sloppy programme that didn't explain how the two men were able to carry out the fraud so I have to assume that the two women gave their bank details & other personal information to the fraudsters involved.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2020, 03:50:12 PM »
To my mind a pretty useless idea - where’s the punishment in that?
Mike
Not entirely. The purpose of prison is to reduce or preferably stop reoffending and with half the term on licence at least that period is covered. Of course they couldn't reoffend if they were in jail but doing it that way would double the already outrageous cost. Perhaps when we end up with Sharia Law, which by the way the population mix is moving seems to be inevitable, having bits cut off will work better.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:32:26 PM »
I wasn’t talking about licence, but of the specific case quoted where the miscreants were given suspended sentences and didn’t serve any jail time at all
Mike

klondike

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:42:54 PM »
If they offend and get caught during a suspended sentence they will (in theory at least) have to serve that sentence or maybe half of it plus whatever gets tacked on.

If you don't like it lobby your MP for a change but it has been that way for one hell of a long time and probably came in to save money. What about the out on a tag thing? Same again - a money saver.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2020, 06:10:15 PM »
The significant word there is ‘if’. With so many crimes not even investigated, never mind solved, I am totally unimpressed by the concept
Mike