Author Topic: HS2 Gets Go-Ahead  (Read 899 times)

StephenM123

HS2 Gets Go-Ahead
« on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:03:58 AM »
After over a decade this massively expensive and unnecessary vanity project gets its go-ahead! I wonder why? Is it to maintain the votes of the Northern Powerhouse?

It staggering after over a decade of austerity the government is spending money like water! The news also mentioned a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland. Sadly I remember those ridiculous vanity projects like the Garden Bridge and Boris Island.

I imagine consultants, lawyers and project managers are rubbing their hands in glee!

I suspect it will not be competed in my lifetime or even in my son's. After all the M25 took over 60 years before it became a fully fledged ring road.

itsmesan

Re: HS2 Gets Go-Ahead
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:56:55 AM »
Totally agree. So much money being wasted
 Also why put a bridge to Scotland if it decides to separate from the UK?
There would be another boarder to control.

klondike

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:57:42 AM »
I doubt that the Northern powerhouse will be impressed. It's down south where the work starts and there is every chance it will still be abandoned before it gets north of Brum.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2020, 10:07:35 AM »
After over a decade this massively expensive and unnecessary vanity project gets its go-ahead! I wonder why? Is it to maintain the votes of the Northern Powerhouse?

It staggering after over a decade of austerity the government is spending money like water! The news also mentioned a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland. Sadly I remember those ridiculous vanity projects like the Garden Bridge and Boris Island.

Do you mean like this type of vanity project on which other countries seem to love squandering money?

https://bit.ly/39qXPha
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Raven

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:59:48 AM »
Surely there are more important things needing money poured into them before a railway..

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2020, 12:49:02 PM »
Much talk about 'private investors'..We're not privy but I'd quite like to know that it's not China, for example..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2020, 12:59:15 PM »
Surely there are more important things needing money poured into them before a railway..

I bet not many Southerners said that when Crossrail, Crossrail 2, Jubilee Line Extension & the DLR were being built.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:09:05 PM »
Haven’t used trains regularly since 1970-71 when I used them once or twice a week, since 1971 I have used a train back in 1993 to take Victoria to an interview at uni (for the life of me, can’t remember why I didn’t drive - drove up to visit her on numerous occasions subsequently) and in January last year to visit my sister in hospital and in February for her funeral. 1,000 mile round trip, so the overnight sleepers were preferred to driving into London.
So, frankly, I don’t much care what happens to HS2. On the other hand, had not the network been vandalised in the 1960s, they would be much more relevant today for medium to long distance journeys
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:15:26 PM »
Haven’t used trains regularly since 1970-71 when I used them once or twice a week, since 1971 I have used a train back in 1993 to take Victoria to an interview at uni (for the life of me, can’t remember why I didn’t drive - drove up to visit her on numerous occasions subsequently) and in January last year to visit my sister in hospital and in February for her funeral. 1,000 mile round trip, so the overnight sleepers were preferred to driving into London.
So, frankly, I don’t much care what happens to HS2. On the other hand, had not the network been vandalised in the 1960s, they would be much more relevant today for medium to long distance journeys
Mike

It won't affect me personally, but I'm still a member of the Federation of Small Businesses & a lot of their Northern members are in favour of it.

Raven

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
I bet not many Southerners said that when Crossrail, Crossrail 2, Jubilee Line Extension & the DLR were being built.

I take it that's all London things? It seems to me that London comes First, Last and in the Middle where Politicians are concerned.

sparky

« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:39:14 PM »
This is a criminal waste of taxpayers money when the entire network is utter crap I would be seething if I were one of the unfortunate commuters in all parts of the country seeing this sort of money being wasted on HS2, rather than being spent in providing me with a seat on a reliable train journey. neither of which I get at the moment, despite paying a fortune for the ticket. I strongly suspect that politicians vested financial  interests are at the root of this lunatic decision.

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2020, 05:56:26 PM »
Bad call in my opinion, worthy of the worst labour government.

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:12:09 PM »
One point in its favour on cost is that it will be less each year than we were paying the EU and will provide some jobs and presumably some benefits too.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:14:40 PM »
fair point, although. to my mind, not necessarily the best of money not going to Greater Germany
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:16:18 PM »
If they carry goods they can bring the Irish imports from Stranraer that come over the bridge. If the trains can go that far.

Sparky summarised it very well IMHO.