Author Topic: HS2 Gets Go-Ahead  (Read 901 times)

Diasi

Re: HS2 Gets Go-Ahead
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:54:43 PM »

I take it that's all London things? It seems to me that London comes First, Last and in the Middle where Politicians are concerned.

Yes, you're correct, the Londoners & the ex-Londoners can't stand the thought of money being spent on non-London projects.

Apart from HS2, the Government is also going to spend quite a lot of money on improving other rail routes in the North.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Jacqueline

« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »
I hope those people who have their homes compulsory purchased will be given market value.  There was a large old pub that was knocked down to build flats where we used to live, next door was a small bungalow.  The developers promised they would buy his place too, but what they offered him was a pitance, he couldn't have bought a new place for the money. So he landed up living with building disruption a couple of feet away and eventually a block of flats towering over him.  I don't trust these people.

GrannyMac

« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:06:38 AM »
A certain Scouse comedian has done ok with compulsory purchase of his home! Some of the residents in South Yorks aren't so happy. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47881368

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sparky

« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2020, 08:02:38 AM »
Diasi,  As an ex-Londoner, it would not concern me in the least where it is started, which seems to bother some folk, its spending that amount on just 1 rail line, when the rest of the network countrywide is crap. if they cancelled this idiotic project, and announced they were going to start an extensive program of upgrading an improving the  rail lines and rolling stock, consentrating in the North, and gradually working their way down I would be more than happy.

Diasi

« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2020, 08:11:31 AM »
Diasi,  As an ex-Londoner, it would not concern me in the least where it is started, which seems to bother some folk, its spending that amount on just 1 rail line, when the rest of the network countrywide is crap. if they cancelled this idiotic project, and announced they were going to start an extensive program of upgrading an improving the  rail lines and rolling stock, consentrating in the North, and gradually working their way down I would be more than happy.

They are starting an extensive plan to upgrade rail links.

Only this time it's all in the North.

Hard luck London & South of Watford, get to the back of the queue, you've been at the front for far too long.

I know it'll hurt for a while & it'll take some coming to terms with the fact that London & the South isn't the whole of the UK.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

sparky

« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2020, 08:41:01 AM »

They are starting an extensive plan to upgrade rail links
Only this time it's all in the North.

Great I would be more than happy if they cancel HS2 and use the money to pump more funds into it

Hard luck London & South of Watford, get to the back of the queue, you've been at the front for far too long.

Is there an attempt to start a silly  them and us war between Northerners and Southerners, if so, I am not biting. Remember, Southern residents do not have the slightest say on what and where projects take place, its the poxy politicians from all parts of the UK

Johned

« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2020, 12:50:19 PM »
It is not worth sacrificing anymore of our green and pleasant little land for a vanity project like this.  This is a small country and mainline train speeds are quite adequate.  Estimated journey time reductions are not so much greater than at present so is it really worthwhile?  Where cash should be spent is getting rid of the dangerous road crossings on the main lines and replacing them with tunnels or flyover bridges.

sparky

« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2020, 01:25:53 PM »
Yeah. there are any number of things that would make far more sense for this vast amount of money  to be spent on rather  than this madcap idea, if they wanted to rejuvenate the Northern areas. Moving parliament and other government departments to a more central area would be an excellent worthwhile start.