Author Topic: Ofcom to Police Internet  (Read 1146 times)

StephenM123

Ofcom to Police Internet
« on: Feb 12, 2020, 11:10:34 AM »
It has been announced that Ofcom will now police the Internet, perticularly social media.  It does at the moment lack detail. Might I suggest they are also given the job of blocking all the spam emails and phone calls!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51446665

klondike

Re: Ofcom to Police Internet
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2020, 11:59:48 AM »
They'd probably be equally successful with all those tasks.
So long and thanks for all the fish

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2020, 12:29:36 PM »
should we warn Brian?
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2020, 12:35:33 PM »
They might have the hump with some stuff that gets posted here....
So long and thanks for all the fish

Raven

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »
They might have the hump with some stuff that gets posted here....

They might also learn some Home Truths.   ;D

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2020, 08:51:21 PM »
It has been announced that Ofcom will now police the Internet, perticularly social media.

It is not possible to police the internet. It seems the government is making a futile gesture in the hope that people will think something is being done   :)

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:33:43 PM »
Oh I dunno...Just a matter of capacity really innit? The algorithms they have are monitoring for keywords I guess and their capacity is undoubtedly huge so there'll be some information gleaned..But I thought they already did that? At least with Ofcom we can be sure it'll be inefficient and not fit for purpose..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

StephenM123

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:22:06 AM »
Oh I dunno...Just a matter of capacity really innit? The algorithms they have are monitoring for keywords I guess and their capacity is undoubtedly huge so there'll be some information gleaned..But I thought they already did that? At least with Ofcom we can be sure it'll be inefficient and not fit for purpose..

I totally agree about inefficient and not fit for purpose. All the board members seem to have numerous directorships in other areas and not real experience in in media/internet/telecoms/etc. Much like the cabinet which will be reshuffled yet again - will diversity and quotas come into it one wonders?

crabbyob

« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2020, 10:57:23 AM »
why do they give jobs to people who already have several others, dosent that indicate they cant do one job properly ............ like our MPs getting extra work on committees who are noted for not doing their MP jobs properly i.e. MPs from constituencies that voted out yet they voted in ,when voting in Westminster, of course i did hear of one MP who even changed parties yet remained chair of a sub committee, getting an extra £63,000 salary... :o :o :o
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

StephenM123

« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:18:23 AM »
Yes! A friend got a new MP when his retired in 2016. Their previous one was like the invisible man and people hoped they would get a constituency MP. Sadly it has not turned out to be the case as the new MP seems more focused on his career. He does pop up for the odd photo opportunity so he appears in the local rag every few weeks. A pity as the area has the usual issues: housing, traffic, schooling and health services. But then their MP lives elsewhere!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:20:34 AM »
I must say that I have always been of the opinion that an MP MUST live in the constituency he or she represents
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

StephenM123

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2020, 12:15:48 PM »
I must say that I have always been of the opinion that an MP MUST live in the constituency he or she represents
Mike

Do MPs have to live in their constituency?

In fact, there is no residency qualification at all - an MP could even live outside the UK. There are, however, nationality and age qualifications and a number of other disqualifications for MPs.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2020, 12:22:45 PM »
As you say. To my mind, however, this is quite wrong. In theory, one could live in Westminster and represented the Orkney islands - how ridiculous is that?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

RoyMail

« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2020, 12:25:28 PM »
Mike
   I fully agree with that ,
Look and Listen but keep Stumm

zoony

« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2020, 12:30:16 PM »
The rules perhaps reflect the attitudes of the time they were formulated at the beginning of the 18thC..The wealthy wouldn't want to live so far from Town and among the peasants..Still don't!  ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.