Author Topic: Mansion tax  (Read 3068 times)

Goingtoseed

Re: Mansion tax
« Reply #30 on: Mar 28, 2020, 04:45:54 PM »
I moved to London in 1971 from a small town not far from Burnley as mentioned in an earlier post, the reason being was to find work as my part of the North West was devastated when the weaving mills were closed down.
Wife and I like living in London our children grandkids and good friends live here only two of them are actually Londoners, the rest like my wife and I came to London for work in the 70's, if we did move out we would have to leave all of them behind.
Would I sell and move back to the old cotton town I was born in with a nice fat wallet from selling up in London and buy a better house cheaper house back up North, no way too quite

I too moved the family to Kent from Blackburn in the late 80's. The chance came up as a promotion in the Civil Service. The children have had a brilliant education and there is little crime in the rural area where we live.
But would I go back? Too right I would. Why? The people.
Yes we have made a killing on the property market and like you could easily bank £500k for the family and buy a lovely detached property in the Ribble Valley area with the rest.
We stay only because both of our children are married and live locally and we would miss the many grandchildren.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #31 on: Mar 28, 2020, 04:50:13 PM »
Wages in London are not as high as some may think and the cost of living is higher in London hence the reason thousands travel into London everyday, wages in most Cities across the UK are higher than in urban or rural areas

I disagree. If I was 30 years younger my salary within the Civil Service would be around £56,000pa. If I went into private practice in the city it would be around £150,000.
My son in law, a lawyer who is 37 is currently on £154,000pa.

Walter

« Reply #32 on: Mar 28, 2020, 05:07:45 PM »
IMHO It all depends what you do for a living in any City, they pay the larger wages to keep well trained highly qualified people from being poached by their competitors, unskilled workers do not get the big bucks

I was in Blackburn last year my Mother was in Hospital , we stayed at a Hotel in Burnley for the weekend not being rude but being honest not for me.

If we did go back I would choose to live in or near Skipton Grassington or Gargrave I like but she who must be obeyed says No
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”