Author Topic: Who's expecting a second stormy weekend?  (Read 649 times)

klondike

Who's expecting a second stormy weekend?
« on: Feb 14, 2020, 07:00:08 PM »
We got off with Ciara seeing just high winds and a little rain although a road in town has been closed all week as some boards were blown off the roof of a building in town. Now it looks like we won't see much of the violence of Dennis despite flood warnings for several parts of the country.

I hope that any here who face either a first or second weekend of stormy weather keep safe and have no serious damage.

Raven

Re: Who's expecting a second stormy weekend?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2020, 07:57:20 PM »
We are, Police have been busy putting up signs to stay off the beaches ect. Winds not too bad the now but has picked up slowly the last wee while.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2020, 08:00:25 PM by Raven »

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:56:19 PM »
We're not, we don't get really bad weather where we live, which is one of the reasons we chose to live here.

But we look forward to watching it on the news when idiots stand at the sea railings, or when people moan that it's the nth time they've been flooded but still live there.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2020, 09:59:49 PM by Diasi »
Make every day count, each day is precious.

Brexit Has Happened.

Jacqueline

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2020, 10:01:00 PM »
I think our part of Wales is in the line of fire. 

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2020, 10:42:15 PM »
I think our part of Wales is in the line of fire.

Well provided your address isn't a Riverside, Stream Walk etc or you chose to live in a narrow valley with sheer hills either side, you should be ok.

But in the meantime I've instructed Dennis not to cause you any damage.
Make every day count, each day is precious.

Brexit Has Happened.

Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2020, 11:25:05 PM »
Well provided your address isn't a Riverside, Stream Walk etc or you chose to live in a narrow valley with sheer hills either side, you should be ok.

But in the meantime I've instructed Dennis not to cause you any damage.

Thanks Diasi, I'm sure he'll behave himself.  We are not in a valley, in fact we look down on our neighbours, it we get flooded it'll be over their roofs.  The thing that gets us is the wind, we are quite exposed and have two huge 90ish foot pine trees, part of one came down last year, the rest looks OK. They are far away enough that they won't fall on us but I worry about the poor old sheep in the field next door.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2020, 05:39:26 AM »
Forecast is for heavy rain from around 9 am continuing all day with winds peaking at 40+ mph late afternoon. Another 'batten down the hatches' sort of a day - getting a bit boring
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

Sheila

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:45:58 AM »
We've had a rather stressful week sorting out the damage from last Sunday.  Turns out our 'home emergency cover' doesn't include chimneys.  No mention of that in the paperwork though.  We know not to renew that next year. 

The roof man and the aerial man argued about the best way of sorting it all out and at one stage, when my husband, neighbour and about five workmen were all having a loud discussion, I phoned a neighbour and asked for refuge.  I went to her house and she gave me coffee and sympathy.

It was quite frightening last Sunday.  The wind was very noisy and I looked out of the back window and it was like a cyclone.  There was white stuff, which must have been rain as I couldn't hear hailstones, swirling round and I was sure all the fences would go.  They didn't but when I went out to the bin later there were lumps of concrete in the path.

My mother indoctrinated me from an early age not to trust insurance companies.  My father was a pilot and when he died in a crash, the insurance company would not pay up because his occupation was down as pilot and they said he could have been a river pilot!
Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place.

Traveller

« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:49:55 AM »
Forecast is for it being wet and windy here, but apart from getting the day correct, you can't rely on it.

Winds are from the South & West, so that's not too bad as the mountains tend to stop the worst of the weather from getting here.  It's when the weather comes from the N & E that it's bad.

You climbed on the ladder with the wind in your sails,
You came like a comet blazing your trail

Scrumpy

« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:09:12 AM »

It is very calm here at the moment.. I think it is supposed to be happening later today..
The news said that many flights are being cancelled at Gatwick which is nearby.. So, will have to wait and see.

Sheila.. I really feel for you love.  I hope it all gets sorted..
Don't think of a caterpillar dying..Think of a butterfly living.

[email protected]

Traveller

« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:34:35 AM »
So far Aberdeen airport is operating as normal with flights departing and arriving on time.
Only cancellation is a BA flight to Heathrow.
You climbed on the ladder with the wind in your sails,
You came like a comet blazing your trail

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2020, 10:12:11 AM »
We've had a rather stressful week sorting out the damage from last Sunday.  Turns out our 'home emergency cover' doesn't include chimneys.  No mention of that in the paperwork though.  We know not to renew that next year. 
ime home emergency is usually heating, electrics, plumbing and is just for a "make safe" partial repair anyway. Surely your home buildings insurance covers storm damage.

Sheila

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:06:53 AM »
ime home emergency is usually heating, electrics, plumbing and is just for a "make safe" partial repair anyway. Surely your home buildings insurance covers storm damage.

Yes, I have spent a couple of hours 'holding on'.  They were very helpful but terribly busy.  A 'make safe' partial repair would have been good in the meantime.  It looked pretty dangerous.  I was just going off to sleep the other night and there was a bang when some more fell off.  OH snored happily through it.
Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:34:58 AM »
I have to say some of these home insurance policies are a right rip off. About a year ago one of my toilets had a problem - it was continually flushing so I  phoned up my AA home emergency number. Spoke to a young woman who asked if it was my only toilet - it isn't. 'Ah' she cried in triumph, 'it that case it's not an emergency, so tough!'.
I read my policy, very, very carefully and wrote to them pointing out that their wording simply included a failed toilet as an emergency and if they didn't cough up they would be hearing from my lawyers. Obviously I cancelled the policy with immediate effect. They apologised and refunded me 75 which just covered - with 3 over - the cost of getting a local plumber to sort out the problem
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:38:20 AM »
I've cancelled my hang gliding . Don't want to get blown into the trees.
Remainers have the rest of 2020 to transition to rejoiners