Author Topic: Transgender  (Read 17236 times)

Sheila

Transgender
« on: Feb 18, 2020, 01:31:37 PM »
Anyone watching BBC news?  A transgender person is complaining about the wait on the NHS and complaining about buying his/her hormones elsewhere.

Am I the only person who objects to NHS funds being used for this?

Diasi

Re: Transgender
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2020, 01:52:06 PM »
Anyone watching BBC news?  A transgender person is complaining about the wait on the NHS and complaining about buying his/her hormones elsewhere.

I doubt that you are.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

mick607

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »
No you most certainly are NOT.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2020, 02:15:40 PM »
I’m with you!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2020, 02:39:27 PM »
So who's going to sit on high and decide which conditions should and shouldn't be treated? We know nothing of this person's circumstances or needs or why treatment shouldn't be interrupted..Keep your prejudices in your pocket is my advice...
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2020, 02:53:35 PM »
So who's going to sit on high and decide which conditions should and shouldn't be treated? We know nothing of this person's circumstances or needs or why treatment shouldn't be interrupted..Keep your prejudices in your pocket is my advice...

Well the NHS is certainly prejudiced against women who want a boob job on the NHS.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2020, 02:59:32 PM »
But that's supposedly criteria-controlled..There's plenty of breast surgery done on the NHS..Must admit to not knowing the exact criteria..

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2020, 03:11:31 PM »
But that's supposedly criteria-controlled..There's plenty of breast surgery done on the NHS..Must admit to not knowing the exact criteria..

Yes, the NHS will remove dodgy implants but they won't replace them.

Basically the NHS will do reconstructive surgery but not life-choice surgery.

stellamaris

« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:18:28 PM »

Well I object very strongly to it.  Not because I have a pocketful of prejudices, rather because it is likely to be female hormones i.e. HRT and these are treated like a hen's teeth rarity when it comes to giving them to women.  And they have to be paid for.  Anyone who wants to stay on HRT well into old age [which I assume trans people will] has to sit through a lecture every six months often from a man and then be armed to the gunnels with information to argue their case.   I'm trying to say something about the goose and the gander but can't quite work out a good one yet ;D
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:45:42 PM »

Well I object very strongly to it.  Not because I have a pocketful of prejudices, rather because it is likely to be female hormones i.e. HRT and these are treated like a hen's teeth rarity when it comes to giving them to women.  And they have to be paid for.  Anyone who wants to stay on HRT well into old age [which I assume trans people will] has to sit through a lecture every six months often from a man and then be armed to the gunnels with information to argue their case.   I'm trying to say something about the goose and the gander but can't quite work out a good one yet ;D

Well have another try when you've worked out which is which.  ;D

Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2020, 06:06:18 PM »
I struggle with all this transgender business.  Anorexic people think they are fat when they are actually dangerously thin, we see this as a mental illness.  People who think they are in the wrong body Male/female we give them hormones and drastic surgery.  I'm sorry but they will only ever be a false man/woman without hormones they will probably revert back to their original state.  Whatever they do  they look like men in drag anyway.   If they want to do that and mutilate their bodies that's up to them, but they should fund themselves, the NHS is for sick people. 

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2020, 06:10:40 PM »
You can t call them sick for sure. If you do the thought police might come knocking...
So long and thanks for all the fish

Sheila

« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2020, 06:30:36 PM »
I struggle with all this transgender business.  Anorexic people think they are fat when they are actually dangerously thin, we see this as a mental illness.  People who think they are in the wrong body Male/female we give them hormones and drastic surgery.  I'm sorry but they will only ever be a false man/woman without hormones they will probably revert back to their original state.  Whatever they do  they look like men in drag anyway.   If they want to do that and mutilate their bodies that's up to them, but they should fund themselves, the NHS is for sick people.

You can't say that on here Jacqueline without being told off by our own thought policeman  ;D ;D

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2020, 07:09:50 PM »

As I understand it, there's a lot to do before any 'hormone' or anything else is prescribed. First steps are the psychological interviews which are in-depth. Like any other NHS treatment the case for it is looked at closely before anything is done.

cowboy wisdom.

richmond62

« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2020, 07:16:47 PM »
Personally I regard a sex change operation as something on a par with a nose job: a cosmetic operation
(after all; your SEX is not changed, just your external appearance).

Now if I don't like the shape of my bum/boobs/nose/whatever (take your pick) that is NOT a matter of
life and death, so I have to go to some private plastic surgery clinic, and rightly so.

A sex-change operation should fall under the same aegis.