Author Topic: Disaster Fund  (Read 1540 times)

zoony

Re: Disaster Fund
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2020, 12:11:42 PM »
It never was..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2020, 12:31:54 PM »
Flooded once B.P and being flooded will be excluded from home insurance policy.
Hugh
I am sure you are well-meaning but I fail to see any limit on what you propose.
There are currently 50,000 homes being built on flood-plains, and the existing million or so already built on flood-plains.
There is only one solution: refuse flood cover on the lot, and house prices will fall to a level that factors in the cost of floods - they'll not need flood cover then.

David G

« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2020, 12:50:48 PM »
When I retired I considered moving to a small bungalow on the North Wales coast. First thing I did was to look at the flood maps and most of the properties I could afford were in or close to flood risk areas. Needless to say I gave up on the idea. I don't need that hassle in retirement.
Caveat Emptor. Don't expect others to pay for your wrong decisions.

Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Hugh

« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2020, 12:53:46 PM »
Like any other topic on the forum it was a subject open for a debate BP. Its just plain stupid building on flood planes and more fool them who buy one. 

klondike

« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2020, 07:50:49 PM »
The areas at risk of flash flooding is constantly on the increase. Fields absorb water far more than a built up area.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2020, 09:45:28 PM »
A letter in yesterday’s paper claimed that dredging was immaterial and that the speed with which water flowed was entirely due to the gradient. Don’t agree that ONLY the gradient is material - flow speed is also affected by the pressure build up
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:44:27 AM »
I would have thought it obvious, that a a 6 foot deep river was able to move  and discharge more water than a 4 foot deep river.

klondike

« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:55:29 AM »
Dear Mr Sparky,

We regret to inform you that your application for a post in the Environment Agency has been unsuccessful. The panel felt that your suggested approach to flood relief was far too scientific, logical  and expensive. We prefer to continue with our production of items for the news media showing victim stories and appeals for charitable relief which have been highly successful in many areas other than Sutton where we fear a man is discouraging public donations.

Regards

George Useless MP
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:55:40 AM »
A letter in yesterday’s paper claimed that dredging was immaterial and that the speed with which water flowed was entirely due to the gradient. Don’t agree that ONLY the gradient is material - flow speed is also affected by the pressure build up
Mike

Probably written by a LibDem voter.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Diasi

« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:58:25 AM »
Hugh
I am sure you are well-meaning but I fail to see any limit on what you propose.
There are currently 50,000 homes being built on flood-plains, and the existing million or so already built on flood-plains.
There is only one solution: refuse flood cover on the lot, and house prices will fall to a level that factors in the cost of floods - they'll not need flood cover then.

Plus another 11,000 flood risk area houses are in the planning.

Anyone who buys one of these houses should be banned from getting subsidised FloodRe flood insurance.

They should also be made to be liable for the costs of the emergency services & agencies when a flood occurs.

https://yhoo.it/2TaVnEN
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

sparky

« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:15:44 AM »

We regret to inform you that your application for a post in the Environment Agency has been unsuccessful. The panel felt that your suggested approach to flood relief was far too scientific, logical  and expensive.

Drat, and their was me looking forward to beginning a very well paid new career, and at 89 it needed to be a career requiring absolute minimum physical or mental effort.