Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 39259 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: COVID-19
« Reply #510 on: May 04, 2020, 12:33:50 PM »
This really threatens to be a big, big problem. Having been -- I almost said brainwashed, but I suppose that is unfair - let's say indoctrinated, into believing that human contact is the kiss of death, how do you persuade folk that it is now safe to go back to work - look at how many NHS staff have died. OK, they are in a very high risk environment, but one would have thought that concomitant with that would be the highest level of protection and knowledge.
How is Joe or Jane Bloggs going to feel after being told 'of course it's OK to use the bus or train or underground to get to your place of work and then work too close to other people' if social distancing is credible?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #511 on: May 04, 2020, 12:40:54 PM »
Apparently it has emerged that the lockdown was to protect the NHS from collapse not for any other reason. Although I agree with the lockdown it waas needed because the Chinese Flu was an unknown quantity at the time & Boris like many other works leaders were caught up in a situation new to them.
It's ok some wanting an extended lockdown period but taxes will have to rise to pay for the damage to the economy. Will those same people be happy to pay more tax ?My guess is a hefty rise in VAT which hits everyone in the country.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #512 on: May 04, 2020, 12:44:00 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised, although I do hope not. At 20% VAT is already a steep burden on the poorest in society - much as it would hurt me personally, I would much rather see income tax raised instead
Mike

Glen

« Reply #513 on: May 04, 2020, 01:17:19 PM »
I agree Mike. They could always remove VAT completely from more basic items and essentials.   

David G

« Reply #514 on: May 04, 2020, 01:24:17 PM »
This really threatens to be a big, big problem. Having been -- I almost said brainwashed, but I suppose that is unfair - let's say indoctrinated, into believing that human contact is the kiss of death, how do you persuade folk that it is now safe to go back to work - look at how many NHS staff have died. OK, they are in a very high risk environment, but one would have thought that concomitant with that would be the highest level of protection and knowledge.
How is Joe or Jane Bloggs going to feel after being told 'of course it's OK to use the bus or train or underground to get to your place of work and then work too close to other people' if social distancing is credible?
Mike

Spot on, it's now a mass psychological problem to be got over.
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

klondike

« Reply #515 on: May 04, 2020, 02:47:08 PM »
I agree Mike. They could always remove VAT completely from more basic items and essentials.
There's none on food anyway. We won't be able to remove VAT on stuff until we are properly out of the EU. Remember all the fuss about VAT on sanitary towels.
So long and thanks for all the fish

David G

« Reply #516 on: May 04, 2020, 03:27:50 PM »
I believe that from now on people will go back to their cars and using the railways less.

Cancel HS2 now it isn't needed.
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

sparky

« Reply #517 on: May 04, 2020, 03:38:06 PM »

Cancel HS2 now it isn't needed

It was  never needed, from the moment it was dreamed up by lunatic Cameron. 

Hugh

« Reply #518 on: May 05, 2020, 08:41:42 AM »
Heard the the same argument  over the building of the M1 motorway, and the start of the UK motorway system, and now well used. The country does need an up to date railway system covering the whole of UK  HS2 like the M1 motorway just a start.

Ashy

« Reply #519 on: May 05, 2020, 08:59:58 AM »
The country has got an up to date railway system. Doesn't need another one.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #520 on: May 05, 2020, 09:03:24 AM »
Heard the the same argument  over the building of the M1 motorway, and the start of the UK motorway system, and now well used. The country does need an up to date railway system covering the whole of UK  HS2 like the M1 motorway just a start.
The critical point is 'covering the whole country'. HS2 will do little if anything to achieve that
Mike

klondike

« Reply #521 on: May 05, 2020, 09:28:50 AM »
The railways have priced themselves out of the market imo. Commuters use them as they have little choice.

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/cheaper-buy-car-pay-train-ticket/
So long and thanks for all the fish

Walter

« Reply #522 on: May 05, 2020, 09:45:39 AM »

Yes been started let them get it finished then make sure they tackled the severe delays and terrible service of the cross Pennine Railway which is not fit for purpose.

Get more cargo onto the railways to get some of the HGV's off the motorways

RMT will have a field day when it is finished they will push for more pay which will drive up the cost to the customers again, they are doing it in on London Underground now   
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

mick607

« Reply #523 on: May 05, 2020, 10:17:19 AM »

Get more cargo onto the railways to get some of the HGV's off the motorways
But you will still need HGVs to get the goods to the trains then off the trains when it gets to the desired city, town etc. to reach it's final destination. ::)

Hugh

« Reply #524 on: May 05, 2020, 10:48:41 AM »
I believe the new railway system will be mainly for goods. The covid-19 as proved people can work from home and not have to commute  to London and other places to sit in an office. Businesses are paying a fortune in office space in London  when its not needed. Where the HS2 is planned to pass near Derby a goods yard is planned for cargo to be off loaded to then be distributed to near by areas.