Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 39250 times)

GrumpyOldFart

COVID-19
« on: Feb 28, 2020, 10:12:22 AM »

Interesting initial data.

No doubt will be refined as more data is accumulated.

klondike

Re: COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2020, 10:20:33 AM »
Hardly surprising. Very similar to flu. We've all got to go of something and for me a fortnight of that is preferable to years of dementia which take away everything I've accumulated and the chance to make the lives of my children a bit easier. Better than a diagnosis of terminal cancer or years of disability after a stroke too.
So long and thanks for all the fish

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2020, 10:43:20 AM »
Hardly surprising. Very similar to flu.

Actually it is surprising because it is not like flu...

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2020, 10:47:43 AM »
What about now? Most were dead well before my age back then anyhow.

Statistically those graphs show very different things.
The first shows your chances of dieing at any given age should you get the illness. The second shows the ages of those from a sample of deaths.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2020, 10:58:40 AM »
The 'Spanish flu' post WW1 epidemic was unusual in that - as the graph shows - it seemed to target a younger group of people that does modern 'normal' flu
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2020, 11:00:02 AM »
Most important it says "BBC" at the bottom so they probably made it up.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2020, 11:01:11 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2020, 11:59:54 AM »
The 'Spanish flu' post WW1 epidemic was unusual in that - as the graph shows - it seemed to target a younger group of people that does modern 'normal' flu
Mike

I suspect those statistics are skewed because of the numbers of young Brit, French, German etc young men who were living close together while fighting at the end of WWI..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2020, 01:08:42 PM »
American but I imagine we are pretty much the same here...

While flu seasons can vary in severity, during most seasons, people 65 years and older bear the greatest burden of severe flu disease. Approximately 90% of influenza-related deaths and 50-70% of influenza-related hospitalizations occur among people in this age group.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/2018-2019/hopitalization-rates-older.html

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
Could be, but as I understand it thee epidemic struck after these lads returned home - perhaps it was  a strain with an unusually long gestation period?
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2020, 01:11:39 PM »
From my NHS days - that seems about right
Mike

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2020, 01:16:26 PM »
There is no such thing as THE flu it is a set of symptoms caused by a range of constantly mutating viruses. If the current years commonest virus is not all that hugely different from an earlier strain there is a good chance that older people may have at least a rudimentary immunity while to the younger generations it will be entirely novel and they'll have no immunity at all. I certainly no longer get as many colds as I used to. Of course a lot of that may be through far less contact with pestilential children who share all manner of bugs with fellow pupils at school.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2020, 01:20:07 PM »
There is no such thing as THE flu it is a set of symptoms caused by a range of constantly mutating viruses. If the current years commonest virus is not all that hugely different from an earlier strain there is a good chance that older people may have at least a rudimentary immunity while to the younger generations it will be entirely novel and they'll have no immunity at all. I certainly no longer get as many colds as I used to. Of course a lot of that may be through far less contact with pestilential children who share all manner of bugs with fellow pupils at school.
Thanks - very good post (and please don't see that as condescending)
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2020, 01:40:47 PM »
I see the money-men are manipulating the stock markets in order to make £billions out of the Corona virus.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

digitalis

« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2020, 02:08:23 PM »
Klondikes 'morbid' take on the 'exit process' actually cheered me up. Yeh,covid 19 v a debilating stroke or years with dementia,covid wins hands down all the time.There's a lot could be winners here: HMG gets rid of the pensioners and unwell so saving lottsa costs,pensions etc. Only losers are the nursing homes which charge £90 for the bowl of weak porridge.

With London being one of 'the hubs' of the world,with the dispora o peoples,Covid will find its welcome here. Its one of many immigrants that wont have any troubling gaining access to the place!