Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 39244 times)

sparky

Re: COVID-19
« Reply #30 on: Feb 29, 2020, 08:06:48 AM »
Have just read one of the suggested precautions is to avoid contact with unwell people, so i'm blocking posts from Brian  ;) ;) ;)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #31 on: Feb 29, 2020, 08:14:37 AM »
Have just read one of the suggested precautions is to avoid contact with unwell people, so i'm blocking posts from Brian  ;) ;) ;)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #32 on: Feb 29, 2020, 09:13:56 AM »
Sorry - we are cross purposes - I agree with what you are saying - I just doubt anyone wanted/expected to get infected.
Mike

No, we're on the same page but everyone who's come into the UK has come intentionally, not by accident.

At times of national crisis the Government should impose strict measures such as publicly giving full details of everyone who's been infected so that the rest of us know if we've been in contact with them.

Self isolation should be enforced with electronic tagging & anyone who hides the fact that they've been in contact with an infected person should face a criminal conviction for reckless endangerment.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #33 on: Feb 29, 2020, 09:18:25 AM »
I doubt there would be enough tags if it takes off. Self isolation is a clever tactic - it disguises the fact that despite claims to the contrary there is not a cat in hells chance that the NHS will be up to the task if/when the numbers explode.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #34 on: Feb 29, 2020, 09:22:57 AM »
I doubt there would be enough tags if it takes off. Self isolation is a clever tactic - it disguises the fact that despite claims to the contrary there is not a cat in hells chance that the NHS will be up to the task if/when the numbers explode.

I'd be hoping that tagging might stop the take off.

The current tactics remind me of the skyscraper window cleaner who fell out of the cradle.

As he fell past each floor he gave a thumbs up & shouted "I'm ok so far".

Anyway, I was in the supermarket & 08:00 am today & there were only a few other people there but I still didn't go down any aisle if another person was in it.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Traveller

« Reply #35 on: Feb 29, 2020, 09:42:07 AM »
It's one thing being cautious and another one being paranoid.  The news media thrives on disaster, gloom and doom. 

As for the guy up the skyscraper, the real analogy is that he takes appropriate precautions to keep himself safe and shouts down, "I'm OK, let me get on with my job".

I remember a story by (I think) Garrison Keillor who tells of a man who "died from cancer".
He was obsessed by keeping a look out for anything abnormal. One day he spotted what he thought was a problem, jumped into his car and rushed to see his GP.  He was so focused on getting to see the doc., he took a bend too fast, crashed  and was killed.
You'll have had your tea.

klondike

« Reply #36 on: Feb 29, 2020, 09:49:52 AM »
I'd be hoping that tagging might stop the take off.
Anyway, I was in the supermarket & 08:00 am today & there were only a few other people there but I still didn't go down any aisle if another person was in it.
Ah the finger in the dyke's hole tactic. There would be too many undetected cases for it to work I fear.

While your shop timing may help if somebody sneezes all over the stuff in the aisle or anything else you might touch up to several hours earlier than you touch it it won't help. The shelves don't stack themselves and supermarket staff aren't immune.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #37 on: Feb 29, 2020, 10:05:14 AM »
Ah the finger in the dyke's hole tactic. There would be too many undetected cases for it to work I fear.

While your shop timing may help if somebody sneezes all over the stuff in the aisle or anything else you might touch up to several hours earlier than you touch it it won't help. The shelves don't stack themselves and supermarket staff aren't immune.

It's still better to eliminate as many chances as I can & the majority of infection is person-to-person.

Jacqueline

« Reply #38 on: Feb 29, 2020, 10:12:24 AM »
I caught a cold just after Christmas.  The only public place I had been was Morrison's supermarket, I can't recall anyone sneezing or with an obvious cold near me, I always keep well away from anyone like that because of our health problems.  That's how easy things spread, and according to the epidemiologist this one is a virilant spreader.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #39 on: Feb 29, 2020, 11:06:20 AM »
Frightening headline in today's paper - 'Outbreak could leave one in ten in hospital'. Well, actually it couldn't. One in ten is roughly 6.6 million people. The NHS doesn't having anything remotely near that number of beds and unless we do a Chinese and start throwing up 1,000 bed hospitals in 10 days - no chance.
Further into the article health officials are estimating that as many as 70% of the population may contract the virus - that's 46 million - of whom 15% could end up in hospital. That's just under7 million - in line with that headline.
How many beds does the NHS have? Will, according to this site:-

https://www.statista.com/statistics/473264/number-of-hospital-beds-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/
around 167,000. If that figure is right, that means 41 patients per bed - interesting. I do, however, wonder at that figure and will try and do a bit more digging
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.

Diasi

« Reply #40 on: Feb 29, 2020, 11:10:36 AM »
I caught a cold just after Christmas.  The only public place I had been was Morrison's supermarket, I can't recall anyone sneezing or with an obvious cold near me, I always keep well away from anyone like that because of our health problems.  That's how easy things spread, and according to the epidemiologist this one is a virilant spreader.

That's why now I don't put my hands anywhere near my face until I've washed them in as hot water as I can stand.

Like you, I'm now carrying antisceptic hand gel.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #41 on: Feb 29, 2020, 11:15:17 AM »
Looks as thouhg things are even worse than that 167,000 (which was for 2017) would suggest - from the King's Fund - for whose work I have always had a lot of respect - the figure is now nearer 142,000. In their report they say, inter alia :-

The total number of NHS hospital beds in England, including general and acute, mental illness, learning disability, maternity and day-only beds, has more than halved over the past 30 years, from around 299,000 to 142,000, while the number of patients treated has increased significantly.
  • Most other advanced health care systems have also reduced bed numbers in recent years. However, the UK currently has fewer acute beds relative to its population than almost any other comparable health system.
  • Mike
  • Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.

David G

« Reply #42 on: Feb 29, 2020, 11:32:07 AM »
    Somebody on here the other day told us it's much ado about nothing. Go back to bed.
    Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
    There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Diasi

« Reply #43 on: Feb 29, 2020, 12:09:37 PM »

sparky

« Reply #44 on: Feb 29, 2020, 01:26:06 PM »
    I have made sure I cant catch this, apart from avoiding crowds etc, I have downloaded Kapinsky   ??? ??? ???