Author Topic: The Fifties  (Read 9918 times)

Johned

Re: The Fifties
« Reply #75 on: Mar 26, 2020, 08:34:35 PM »
The shopowner was played by Charles Laughton.  His eldest daughter Brenda de Banzie married the cellar bound cobbler John Mills.  A cracking film!

zoony

« Reply #76 on: Mar 26, 2020, 09:01:59 PM »
It was an excellent film John..from a simpler age of storytelling when the story was the important thing..'Random Harvest' stands out in my memory for the same reason..Must be the first time I ever vocally expressed my frustration at the plot-line!  ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

zoony

« Reply #77 on: Mar 27, 2020, 12:46:11 AM »
Remembering Bob-a-Job week..Smartly dressed, woggle and cap in place, wandering around with Dooley and knockin' on doors..I swear that some of those people saved their jobs up all year, but it was usually a bit of gardening or rubbish clearance..and nothing memorable ever happened..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Walter

« Reply #78 on: Mar 27, 2020, 08:27:12 AM »
The shopowner was played by Charles Laughton.  His eldest daughter Brenda de Banzie married the cellar bound cobbler John Mills.  A cracking film!

I have the DVD given it as a Christmas present a few years ago still love the film, if you are interested you can get them on line via E-Bay of Amazon 
“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Yellowbird

« Reply #79 on: Apr 10, 2020, 06:57:45 AM »
We got married in the fifties. The food I remember was a curry we had on our wedding day. We had managed to buy a small house even though Ron had been doing late National Service but had no money left for a honeymoon so a trip to the local curry house was our treat. It gave Ron food poisoning. We still love a curry
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly