Author Topic: The Fifties  (Read 9919 times)

crabbyob

Re: The Fifties
« Reply #60 on: Mar 18, 2020, 04:52:51 PM »
well Walter it seems to me thats exactly what the govt are demanding
we should all act the same
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Walter

« Reply #61 on: Mar 18, 2020, 07:14:06 PM »
I think they want us to act sensibly , that will a first for me !!! same for some poloticians as well

“If you're going through hell, keep going.”

Audrine

« Reply #62 on: Mar 18, 2020, 07:48:43 PM »
Not long ago I watched a movie called Yanks with Richard Gere about Soldiers in WW2 England, my sister's time ,not mine. One of the men said I don't date English women they stink. What an insult, but perhaps he had a point.Audrine How rimes have changed.

zoony

« Reply #63 on: Mar 18, 2020, 07:52:31 PM »
Well ladies? Are you answering that or shall I?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Bee

« Reply #64 on: Mar 18, 2020, 08:08:30 PM »
My lips are sealed. :-X :-X >:( >:(
The only way is up....

Jacqueline

« Reply #65 on: Mar 18, 2020, 09:52:59 PM »
My mother was always a very clean person everything had to be just so.  She was in her early 20s in wartime.  She had 5 cousins who were sisters and would often go and stay with the family.  She told me her aunt would always be going on at the girls to change their underwear and say " look how clean Mary's (mum) things are yours are filthy".

When I was at school in the 1950s, Sunday night was bath night, I'd go in first followed by dad. Mum always made sure I had a good wash every day before school and going to bed.

I couldn't go out of the house without a daily shower these days. How things change.

Audrine

« Reply #66 on: Mar 19, 2020, 12:07:12 AM »
Gran Mac Your post was absolutely spot on.Audrine

biglouis

« Reply #67 on: Mar 19, 2020, 03:05:16 AM »
People did as they were told by authority figures in the 1940s and 1950s but the general standard of education was much lower then. Kids in school learned by rote and were not encouraged to think for themselves.

When I was 14 I had the following conversation with the sports teacher:-

teacher: your not at all interested in sport are you?

me: no miss. Im not good at it and I think its a waste of my time.

teacher: you cant go through life just ignoring the things you dont like just because you are not good at them.

me: look miss, Im top of the class in 5 academic subjects and its those things I will be putting on application forms when I look for a job. I will be trying for the civil service or librarianship.  Im not looking for a job as a sports teacher

teacher: your a very cheeky child.

me: no miss, you asked me a question and I answered you.

Even back then I was a bolshi little bugger
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Johned

« Reply #68 on: Mar 19, 2020, 05:12:01 PM »
I, too, liked the film "Yanks" and found it very evocative of that era.  We had many in our little town during the war and relations between the locals and our visitors were pretty good as I recall.  My glamorous auntie worked for the American Red Cross in their social club and as a reward for her services at war's end, was invited to emigrate with her family, all expenses paid to the States with a view to citizenship (she declined!).  Not only was it mentioned in the film but I have read there was, indeed, a prevailing view that British ladies' hygiene standards were not up to American expectations!

zoony

« Reply #69 on: Mar 19, 2020, 06:56:56 PM »
Coal was rationed. Needed coal for gas. Gas rationed. Water wasn't but a  means of heating it was. I'm sure that after another day at munitions or farming or scrap reclamation many of the women were more interested in a dance or two and a good laugh with their mates than the sweet-smelling but horny Yanks.

cowboy wisdom.

Bee

« Reply #70 on: Mar 19, 2020, 10:56:01 PM »
Coal was rationed. Needed coal for gas. Gas rationed. Water wasn't but a  means of heating it was. I'm sure that after another day at munitions or farming or scrap reclamation many of the women were more interested in a dance or two and a good laugh with their mates than the sweet-smelling but horny Yanks.

Well said zoony, I will go one step further, I much prefer British made war films than the American ones as they come across as so superior to the British.
The only way is up....

GrannyMac

« Reply #71 on: Mar 19, 2020, 11:05:50 PM »
In the 60s my now husband was in a band that played at an American base in Edzell.  The American servicemen had impeccable manners, and were very smartly turned out.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #72 on: Mar 19, 2020, 11:34:03 PM »

Well said zoony, I will go one step further, I much prefer British made war films than the American ones as they come across as so superior to the British.

There's always been a difference between British and American films. Give them identical tales to tell and you'd get two very different films. The Americans like their heroes larger than life but we prefer them a little more rounded.
 It's so nice to find a British film I've not seen before when I'm looking for downloads.

cowboy wisdom.

Bee

« Reply #73 on: Mar 20, 2020, 05:57:05 AM »
Completely agree with you zoony.
The only way is up....

Walter

« Reply #74 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:53:36 AM »
Hollywood quite often rewrote history to suit their scripts, I remember in the 50's we were quite fortunate Dad managed to buy a TV which in those days had lovely wood cabinets nice bit of furniture.

Sundays was the day we all sat down to dinner together, we had Sunday dinner then all hands to the pump to clear the table, my twin sister and I had to wash up which I had to be done before the Sunday afternoon film started.

It was more often than not a war film, one week it would be battle at sea, or in the desert , or on a bombing raid John Mills seem to be in all of them , he had a rough war you would have thought they would have given him at least one Sunday off to have a rest.

The film I still like to this day that I saw back then was Hobsons Choice, all based around a shoe shop in Salford Charles Laughton was the drunken owner of the shop John Mills was the boot boy , and the actor who later played Albert Tatlock in the Coronation Street the other boot hand .

Anyone remember that one , it still make me laugh when I watch it again today

“If you're going through hell, keep going.”