Author Topic: a lovely time then,  (Read 854 times)

Alfred

a lovely time then,
« on: Mar 10, 2020, 08:22:02 AM »
I say as I'm getting that bit older I cant do what I could easily do then,
for me it was when my wife and I were in our late twenties and  the children were very young,

I would drive them to Epping forest on a nice summers day, spending all day after  having parked  the car nearby and sitting in the shade under the trees , having taken our food for the day complete with flasks of tea, and bottles of lemonade , packed sandwiched some times having a salad , prepared by my wife, even toys to keep the children happy,

simply sitting in deck chairs, and enjoying the scenery as the children played, watching the schools of horse riders as they slowly made their way through the forest, whilst seeing other  young families enjoying them selves as we were then,

when fancying an ice cream going a few yards to the mobile caravan which sold just about everything, from cake to everything else,
the day out was really lovely as my wife wasn't bogged down having to cook standing at the oven when at home ,

lovely, lovely memories, to which ill never forget,

Q; what memories do you remember from your past and will you share them with us,

GrannyMac

Re: a lovely time then,
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2020, 08:28:04 AM »
Sounds like some of our days out Alfred.  Clumber park or the Peak district were favourites of ours. More recently, Trentham Gardens and the Yorkshire Wildlife Park with grandchildren.  Happy days indeed.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Raven

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2020, 09:43:39 AM »
Our Sundays were often spent in Tentsmiur Forest and the beach, you have to drive through part of the forest to get to the beach car park. There are lovely walks full of Wildlife and the Nature Reserve away up at the top, then a nice walk down the beach to get back to the picnic area. The kids loved it and often used to bring a friend or two along.

https://forestryandland.gov.scot/visit/tentsmuir

sparky

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2020, 11:24:16 AM »
Alf. Yeah, As Epping Forest was on my doorstep I spent a lot of time there, not only in daytime but parked up there at night, but I will say no more about those times ;) ;) ;) .

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2020, 05:28:07 PM »
Alf. Yeah, As Epping Forest was on my doorstep I spent a lot of time there, not only in daytime but parked up there at night, but I will say no more about those times ;) ;) ;) .

We had a place like that called Old Reading, I won't say any more either!

My days out with mum and dad were Windsor, by the river or the great park and Burnham Beeches.  Lovely picknicks, dad with his primas stove for tea.  My uncle, aunt and cousin came with us too.  Uncle had a car with GTW numberplate  Gone To Windsor.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2020, 05:38:22 PM »
We had some outings in 1947-49, usually by car with an aunt and uncle - it was their car, not ours, but in 1950 dad fell ill and could not be left alone until he died in 1952. By then we couldn’t afford outings of any sort
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Alex22

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2020, 08:30:36 PM »
For me it was a day out in New Brighton at the outdoor swimming pool, or  to Rhyl in North Wales where we'd go roller skating.  The weather seemed to be better then, or my memory is failing me again.   :)

crabbyob

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2020, 06:45:42 AM »
being a member of the co-op, they did a trip to the seaside when i was a child i dont know if any payment took place.
the the N.U.M. had May Day parades in Scotland it was a public holiday, and off we kids would go marching, we got a bag containing sarnies and buns plus a small bottle of milk. i remember once the parade was in Edinburgh and the guest speakers were two Russians,,, Bulganin and Kruschev, who were senior union men in those days...
then not so long ago our working mens club Balby Rec Granny, had a childrens outing where the members children were taken on a sunday to one of the coastal resorts, they were given a paypacket [which the parent usually snaffled], with enough to buy their lunch on the day. the parents also used to pay into a savings all year for this trip, but sadly no more, theres hardly any clubs left
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2020, 07:55:13 AM »
I've been in that club several times Crab. My husband worked the clubs from the early 70s and I remember he did more than one charity show there to raise money for Guide Dogs.  Those clubs were often the hubs of communities.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2020, 08:34:13 AM »
the club is still there but its a pub now, ran under some franchise, i havent been in it for twenty years
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Sheila

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2020, 08:40:16 AM »
For me it was a day out in New Brighton at the outdoor swimming pool, or  to Rhyl in North Wales where we'd go roller skating.  The weather seemed to be better then, or my memory is failing me again.   :)

Alex, if you are on Facebook there is a forum called something like 'Old Photos of New Brighton' that you may find interesting. 

Alex22

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2020, 01:18:47 PM »
Hi Sheila, yes I was looking for an old photo of the fort perch last year and found the site that had photos of old New Brighton - the swimming pool too.
Did they have donkey rides ?  :)   I can't remember whether that was NB or  Rhyl.

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2020, 02:16:10 PM »
I know Rhyl did..I remember riding them whenever we went there..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

stellamaris

« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2020, 02:24:54 PM »

I contributed to the picnics thread, so haven't much else to offer here.  But I just had to acknowledge teenage days out at New Brighton baths, as we called them. They went on until I was late twenties.  There was also a roller rink in New Brighton in my day, which we went to after the baths and then the ferry home.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Scrumpy

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2020, 07:06:21 PM »
We have two big lakes nearby.. People would come down from London by the coach load..
As kids we swam in the (small) lake .The larger lake was for hired boats and it had an Island in the middle.
We even had a small diving board that kids queued up to use..
 It was a mucky place.. but wonderful..
Those people that ban conker fights today would have been mortified.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.