Author Topic: Self Isolation  (Read 6973 times)

Diasi

Re: Self Isolation
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2020, 12:55:50 PM »
Nephew lives right by an "ethnic" corner shop and there are 3 on the way here he has to pass. He says there is plenty of stuff on the shelves but at higher prices. Normally he shops in the big Azda nearby.

I never thought of buying food from Amazon but of course they have HUGE warehouses and a good supply chain.

I ordered a bottle of caramel syrup (bung it into my coffee) yesterday & it arrived today.

You don't have to order 40 quid's worth to get a delivery.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Jacqueline

« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2020, 01:03:12 PM »
We have just been to Asda and it was like Christmas but everyone was very friendly and tolerant.

Many of the shelves were still empty but we have enough food to keep us going for a while.  The meals may just be a bit different to normal.

A couple of neighbours (both nurses) who know I have been struggling a bit for a few years have offered to get us stuff if needed which was lovely of them as they are both busy working mums.  (We won't ask of course but it was good of them)

Our meals will become even stranger if my OH goes to the shops without me!

It's only a few days since we went out socially and it seems like ages.  Normally we meet friends at the pub and have a meal and a couple of drinks but that has been knocked on the head.

It's a good job we still get on well together but we may be ready to kill each other in the next 12 weeks!

Some expert on TV was worried about domestic violence rates going up if people were forced together for weeks and weeks when they didn't get on too well to start with. I must admit to being a bit snappy with my husband when we were doing our midnight shopping run last night, snapping I have to do all the thinking for meals you just stand there, help me think, I'm not coming out here again!!!!

We will miss our meals out too, I hate cooking and a couple of meals out a week will be badly missed.

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2020, 01:08:00 PM »
Nephew lives right by an "ethnic" corner shop and there are 3 on the way here he has to pass. He says there is plenty of stuff on the shelves but at higher prices. Normally he shops in the big Azda nearby.

I never thought of buying food from Amazon but of course they have HUGE warehouses and a good supply chain.

There's one in Doncaster about 20 miles from us.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
I know it, not to be confused with a large 'Amazone' agricultural equipment warehouse nearer the airport.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

em

« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2020, 01:32:13 PM »
I think the suicide rate will increase dramatically.

zoony

« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2020, 01:46:58 PM »
Yes Em..Sadly, I think you might be right..And this thing has barely begun.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2020, 02:00:00 PM »
I know it, not to be confused with a large 'Amazone' agricultural equipmenr warehouse nearer the airport.

I tried ordering some bread but for some reason our postcode isn't in Amazon's fresh food catchment area.

Diasi

« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2020, 02:01:40 PM »
I think the suicide rate will increase dramatically.

Yes Em..Sadly, I think you might be right..And this thing has barely begun.

What makes you both think that?

zoony

« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2020, 02:09:42 PM »
What makes you disagree?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2020, 02:11:20 PM »
What makes you disagree?

I neither agree nor disagree as I don't understand the reasoning.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2020, 02:21:06 PM »
I neither agree nor disagree as I don't understand the reasoning.
Isolation is frequently a cause of depression, which is a frequent cause of suicide. There are going to be a lot of isolated old people, leading to more depressed old people, leading to more suicides. It's a highly likely scenario
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2020, 02:38:49 PM »
When I expressed my love of being alone and deeply resenting anyone knocking on my door without an appointment, I have noted others who obviously considered me weird and eccentric. I have not been out of the house since before Christmas so not going out for 4 months is no particular handship. So long as I can get (most of) my shopping and medication delivered and get my packages out to customers I will probably notice little difference to my life.

Maybe there is a strength is being able to live "within ones self" - rather than among the madding crowd - that others have yet to discover and value.

Nephew and I had a conversation on the phone last night in which we agreed that he would stick to his normal tuesday visits. Yes of course I could catch it from Chris but thats just the luck of the draw. I have no health problems that involve my heart, lungs, immune system or blood pressure. My disability is arthritis and I dont think that is particularly affected by the virus. I have so many aches and pains already that I may not notice a few more.

We also discussed the possibility of shopping collaboratively to some degree as Chris has a huge chest freezer and a full size kitchen one while my capacity is limited. He also enjoys cooking while I hate it.  He has the big Azda and various "ethnic" corner shops nearby while there are NO shops here. I have my online shopping so between us we should be able to manage the food situation.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

em

« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2020, 02:53:05 PM »
Thank you,Michael R. That is my reasoning,too.

em

« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
And also Diasi,many people will be in dire financial straits.Mortgage payments etc and other commitments can affect young and old.Just imagine that stress if you have a family to provide for.Suicide, sadly,might seem the only way out.

xetog

« Reply #29 on: Mar 17, 2020, 03:23:24 PM »
I have to agree with biglouis.  There are people who have no problems being their own company.  I fortunately don't have to worry about it because I have my wife, but the thought of isolation does not worry me.  My wife on the on the hand, is tearful at the thought of cutting ourselves off for 3months or more.

I am happily squirreling around making arrangements so that our hibernation will go off smoothly.  Not only food is involved, but ensuring that everyone knows of our arrangements, all our bank accounts and other financials are running smoothly, Kindle unlimited for as many books as we can read, my art materials are all OK, DVD's, subscriptions to various TV services, etc.  When it is all done, we will hunker down for our hibernation in the happy thought that when we emerge the viral winter should be over.

Nevertheless, I can see that this would horrify some people.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.