Author Topic: Supermarkets  (Read 696 times)

granny moss

Supermarkets
« on: Mar 17, 2020, 07:51:32 AM »
Trying to get delivery of my usual order from Sainsburys. No deliveries available. Trying to order from Tesco. Only collect...when I try to order, items are NOT available.... I have a family that will help me. I dread to think of all the other people that are not able to go shopping. Pensioners, and sick people confined at home. The situation needs rationing of all goods. To many panicking and behaving in a selfish manner. We need rationing, and soon !!! I am now beginning to worry a bit....It was a shock to see the delivery slots cancelled ! and then, Tesco saying at every click on a tin of food...this item not available...I am today on my own, because all gone to work...It is not a good day for me. Take care. gmx

Michael Rolls

Re: Supermarkets
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2020, 08:00:28 AM »
We can only hope that the supply side catches up soon - presumably the panic buyers have, by now, enough stocks to calm their fears. I've just been checking my freezer - I have enough main meals to last three weeks or so, thankfully. One problem with ordering on-line for so far ahead, there''s no guarantee that what you order will still be instock when the order os made up.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Maddie Malone

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2020, 08:22:08 AM »
Some ppl are going from supermarket to supermarket .
One came out of Lidl with 3 bags opened the boot of his car and he had bags from Sainsbury’s , tesco and Morrison’s already in there .

The earliest we could get a delivery was the end of next week the way it’s going not holding out much luck of getting very much of it . 😳😳

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2020, 12:25:56 PM »
As I put in another post...

biglouis

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2020, 12:41:39 PM »
You DONT know that the exact items you ordered are going to be in stock 3 weeks hence, but there may well be substitutes.

The supermarkets who do online delivery do not pick orders from the store open to the public. They have huge Amazon style warehouses stacked up to the top of the building and robots that fetch stuff down as its picked from the lower shelves. Of course there are going to be shortages of certain lines because of the moronic panic buying.

Its important to revise your order the evening before its due and see what appears to be unavailable. Make sure you nominate substitutes for every item on your list. The pickers at Tesco do try to find an acceptable substitute. You can refuse it if you dont want it.

There are no slots on my local Tesco now for 2 weeks. Plan ahead and check every day as to what slots have become available. Book a "standby" slot in case your main shop is cancelled. You can cancel the standby slot if all is well and open it to someone else.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

granny moss

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2020, 03:06:30 AM »
Have long e.mail from BOSS at sainsburys. Slot will be opened for one hour shopping at 7am till 8am in stores. for persons over 70 years and disabled etc.  on 23rd march  Also opened delivery slots for orders on line. Will see what happens next. gmx

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2020, 07:54:13 AM »
We can only hope that the supply side catches up soon - presumably the panic buyers have, by now, enough stocks to calm their fears. I've just been checking my freezer - I have enough main meals to last three weeks or so, thankfully. One problem with ordering on-line for so far ahead, there''s no guarantee that what you order will still be instock when the order os made up.
Mike

We've just succumbed & bought a 168 ltr upright freezer, on the basis that being reasonable isn't working.

We have an in-built fridge freezer & a 10-year-old small under-counter freezer in the garage which is where the new one will go as well.

Beko frost-free, my wife used an old Yellow Pages & tracked one down at a locally owned shop in Market Rasen at a better price that AO would have charged so we're pleased that AO were out of stock.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2020, 08:34:00 AM »
Between Morrisons & Aldi we're fully stocked with ready meals, bread, tinned food & frozen vegetables.

We can't buy any more until the new freezer arrives, hopefully today.

We aren't buying more than we'd normally buy but we'll now be buying a month's worth at at time.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2020, 09:23:09 AM »
I took the last bottle of liquid antibacterial soap off the shelf but we've got some in the house so I gave it to the woman stood next to me as she looked really disappointed.

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2020, 09:28:06 AM »
aw, your my hero
might they restock before i get home
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”