Author Topic: I won’t let it change my way of life  (Read 2416 times)

mick607

Re: I won’t let it change my way of life
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2020, 08:51:50 AM »
Our street lights are switched off at midnight and switched back on at 5am until it is light.
I don't know if our street lights go off or not & what time if they do.I'm snoring my head off anytime after 9pm. ;D ;D

Ashy

« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2020, 10:08:10 AM »
Just had the council tax bill, it's gone up nearly 4% and they sent it written on A3 size paper to reflect its cost. I'd send them a cheque but they don't accept them, or cash, haven't got an office even, and my pen has run out of ink. And they squander it on pointless vanities, junkets and black cars.

GrannyMac

« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2020, 01:35:49 PM »
I'd love to know which councils have junkets! They might have in the past, but there's little money these days even for essentials.  Its almost 15 years since I left a council job, but I did get an invite to a celebration.  I'd made a suggestion that saved money, on the back of that I got a cup of tea and a biscuit in the Mayor's parlour. High living knew no bounds!  I believe the scandal of the misuse of anti poverty money in Rotherham in the 1990s made at least some councils change their practices.

Remember that local authorities pay a lot into final salary pension schemes.  Consider the pay scales and the long servers.  😏
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Ashy

« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2020, 02:10:47 PM »
Yes 1/3 of our tax is paid into pensions. Ordinary council staff don't go on junkets, thats for the politicians and senior officers. At least that is what the man in the horsemeat shop said.

GrannyMac

« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2020, 02:27:19 PM »
Yes 1/3 of our tax is paid into pensions. Ordinary council staff don't go on junkets, thats for the politicians and senior officers. At least that is what the man in the horsemeat shop said.

Have you been listening to Brian or one of the voices?     :o   They certainly used to, but everything is so much more transparent now, they wouldn't dare, at least round here.

I think LA pensions will have to come into line with other public sector schemes.  No more final salary in the Civil Service (I went there for a couple of years after I retired, and was invited to join their new scheme, I didn't).  My daughter now has two NHS pension schemes, the earlier one being more generous than the current one. 

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2020, 05:03:47 PM »
many families who were probably making more use than most of council services suddenly realised they might have to start paying their fair share, with a much fairer poll tax.

Families have never paid their fair share because they have never paid for the resources which their children suck up. Instead it is subs and handouts all the way.

And if you dare to point this out then they get up on their high horse telling single people how selfish they are. Yes it is sooooo selfish of us to pay for your little rug rats who themselves contribute nothing to the community but suck up resources like sponges.

In the current circumstances I can envision many throwing their CT bill not just in the back of the drawer but in the bin, along with the credit cards and other less essential bills in favour of buying food and fuel.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2020, 05:33:37 PM »
BL we hear you. What alternative do you suggest? I thought the Poll tax was fair, as we lived in a modest home and both worked, we were neither winners or losers there.  My kids would love it, their council tax bills would be slashed! 

For me, local income tax would be the most beneficial.  My other half and I don't have great pensions, individually we don't use up our personal allowances, so we'd be quids in.   Jointly, we do ok.

Its human nature to want what benefits us the most, but the government can't please us all.  Please be assured however that some families pay a lot more than their fair share.   

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2020, 07:50:58 PM »
Our street lights are switched off at midnight and switched back on at 5am until it is light.
Ours are on all night but they are the equivalent of an LED torch with a flat battery on a pole.
So long and thanks for all the fish

klondike

« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2020, 07:52:56 PM »
Families have never paid their fair share because they have never paid for the resources which their children suck up. Instead it is subs and handouts all the way.
Are you trying to beat the Brian54 record for saying the same pretty ridiculous thing most in a week?

GrannyMac

« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2020, 07:59:08 PM »
Are you trying to beat the Brian54 record for saying the same pretty ridiculous thing most in a week?

Thats a better response than mine! 😉 
Note to self: stop trying to be reasonable.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2020, 08:01:21 PM »

Are you sure they're not controlled by a light sensor Bee? Your post makes it sound like a flat cap with a little man under it goes round every morn and evening to flick the switch in his shed.. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2020, 08:08:34 PM »
A lot of councils do the same thing so I imagine it's a mix of timer and light sensor. What I find vaguely annoying is the number of lights that are on 24x7. I expect it would cost more to fix them than let them burn though. There is a section of A47 about a mile long where I routinely count the number on (it's a dull old drive) and this weekend it was 10 which is the same as it was last year when we departed the van and went home for the winter. I did notice one had  burned out with just a red glow but don't remember if I counted it.

crabbyob

« Reply #27 on: Mar 20, 2020, 06:27:38 AM »
and BL pleaseeeee
may i point out that these taxes ect were paid by my father when
YOU were the rug rat, so pleaseeee stop whipping yourself
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Ashy

« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2020, 06:36:43 AM »
The problem is bird crap on the light sensor so the lamp or group of lamps thinks it is night time. Even better many of these lamps now send data to a server by cell radio so they should raise an alarm when they are on all day. However, do we want a team out for four hours or longer to wipe or replace a sensor (10 minutes work)?

Bee

« Reply #29 on: Mar 20, 2020, 06:39:59 AM »

Are you sure they're not controlled by a light sensor Bee? Your post makes it sound like a flat cap with a little man under it goes round every morn and evening to flick the switch in his shed.. ;)

Take your pick zoony. ;D ;D ;D
The only way is up....