Author Topic: I won’t let it change my way of life  (Read 900 times)

biglouis

Re: I won’t let it change my way of life
« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2020, 01:16:26 PM »
 That is a facile argument because society has changed very considerably from when your parents were a young couple.

Speaking now of the 1950s and 1960. Back then most people still followed a broadly similar life course. They worked for a few years, mostly living with their parents. They had earned good money and paid a lot of tax into the kitty. Then they found a partner, settled down, had raised kids. They in turn, were subsidised by the taxes that others paid. Kids eventually left home, empty nester parents became pensioners.

So most people (not all) went through a life where they subsidised others but were, in turn, also subsidised at other periods in their life. The so called nuclear family (2 adults with 2 kids) was still the dominant institution.

Society has changed. Oh how it has changed. The nuclear family is now in a minority. It is no longer a general institution where we revere but a minority lifestyle choice. People are free to choose many other forms of lifestyle and life courses, and they do. There are more single people households, career oriented child free couples, same sex couples and so on.

It is wrong that people who have chosen other ways of life should be continuing to subsidise the lifestyle choices of one minority group because that is the way it was done in the past.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #31 on: Mar 20, 2020, 02:38:52 PM »
Bl I agree that society has changed since the 1950s.  Its a while since I was in a lecture, but the last information I was presented with re society was the change from the financial pyramid shape of incomes with a huge number of poorer people at the bottom, to the upright diamond shape, with far fewer at the bottom, but a huge increase in middle earning households.

Many of those better off households have two working adults.  Since housework stopped being the drudge it was in the old days, its much easier to keep house and work, sharing tasks, or even better, earn enough to pay for cleaning, and even gardening services.   Many of these better off households don't have offspring until they are older, having achieved some security in career etc.  They're certainly paying, especially if they also live in large houses.

Perhaps you are influenced by non working families you see in your area BL, but there are plenty of single parents who earn a good living, likewise double income parents with two well paying jobs.  They are definitely paying their way, whilst also ensuring that their children get the skills needed to get into work and pay their dues in turn.    There are also many single people who don't. 

Some of the changes suit some of the people better than others. No one said life was going to be fair. 
There is nothing more frightful than the ignorant in action.

Cassandra.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #32 on: Mar 28, 2020, 04:55:41 PM »
At the age of 22 (1971) I bought my first home. Then in 1975 after selling it I bought a bigger property in the town and a small bungalow in the country.
In fact none of my friends lived at home with parents beyond 22/23 as all owned their own properties.

klondike

« Reply #33 on: Mar 28, 2020, 05:04:00 PM »
It was a bit easier in those days. I was earning £20 a week and my first house cost £1500 in 1970. There was a leap in prices and I sold it for £5,400 just 18 months later. Not that I got any benefit from that as I had to pay £6600 for the next one but my money had gone up to £1500. I was a computer operator and overtime and shift pay doubled that. I can't remember how much I saw of it though after the tax man had a dip.