Author Topic: shopping on line,  (Read 549 times)

Alfred

shopping on line,
« on: Mar 20, 2020, 08:48:38 AM »
Since my family and I have been following the rules of isolating ourselves, I decided a week ago to shop on line , and I'm soon to receive my first order ,

it ensures that at least since, and  because of our ages as my wife and I will be 84 this year, and do not want to risk being affected by this coronavirus even as much as we would normally like to see what were buying,

so I opted for on line buying, instead as I'm sure many of you are already doing, and at least we know we will get some shopping,
and have peace of mind knowing we will get a delivery some time or other,

I am pleased that since were not going out at least with patience we will get some shopping until things return back to normal even though it will be some time before we do,

Q; are you an on line shopper if not what plans have you in place to receive your normal shopping items, and will you share your thoughts with us,

Maddie Malone

Re: shopping on line,
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2020, 08:59:04 AM »
I am Alfred but at the moment it’s hit and miss whether you get a delivery slot and when it does arrive if you get what you ordered .
I’ve checked my next Friday’s  ( the earliest I could get when I went online last Sunday ) delivery and there’s more missing off the list .
I’m beginning to wonder if I will get any shopping at all 😳

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2020, 09:06:18 AM »
I normally shop on line (talking about groceries) from Tesco - I had a stroke of luck last Saturday - when I went to the 'book a slot' page there was nothing available for the next two weeks except for a late slot that very evening - which I took. I always have the freezer pretty full - living on my own, as I now do, it's reassuring to know that if I was housebound for a while (before all this started, I mean a stinking cold or the like) I can happily live off the freezer. At the moment I probably have something like five weeks main meals in it, perhaps even a bit more- hopefully on-line shopping will get back to something like normal by then.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

xetog

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2020, 09:12:15 AM »
We are massive on line shoppers, but not really for food, preferring to pick the stuff we want, especially fresh foods.  This week we have given in to the Government advice and ordered online.  Not sure of the process we ordered some things from Iceland that are cheaper there.  Because they require a £35 spend and our direct requirements came to less than £20 we had to make-up the order.  We managed to get a delivery slot for yesterday.  The only stuff delivered was our make-weight list, the essentials like fruit and veg were entirely absent.

In the meantime we have managed to secure a delivery slot every Wednesday for the next 52 weeks from ASDA for a payment of £24, but we must spend £40 each time.  This doesn't start until next Wednesday, so I will let you know how we get on.  We did manage to get down to ASDA at 7am this morning during the elderly and vulnerable period, but found it full of young, fit people who were obviously taking advantage of time off work to strip the shelves of most goods.  Luckily they had pretty much ignored the fruit and veg, which was what we wanted.  So much for social distancing as the checkouts were overwhelmed.  I have told this tale elsewhere.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

biglouis

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2020, 09:20:09 AM »
 If you got an odd slot for late evening it was probably someone who had booked a back up slot, got their delivery, and then released the extra slot as I have just done.

Until the supermarkets get their act together and work out a system to prioritise older and vulnerable customers for online slots it pays to be very strategic. You have to “game” the system.

I had a backup slot for tomorrow morning. Ive just had my delivery - a few things were missing and there were many substitutions but I got the basics - bread, fruit, yogert, coffee and milk. I even got some loo rolls! They will last me a few weeks so I will not be buying any of those for a bit.
  As a result I have just cancelled my extra slot for early tomorrow morning so some lucky soul will get a nice surprise for an early slot.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

Re: Shopping On Line.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2020, 09:24:26 AM »
We are massive on line shoppers, but not really for food, preferring to pick the stuff we want, especially fresh foods.  This week we have given in to the Government advice and ordered online.  Not sure of the process we ordered some things from Iceland that are cheaper there.  Because they require a £35 spend and our direct requirements came to less than £20 we had to make-up the order.  We managed to get a delivery slot for yesterday.  The only stuff delivered was our make-weight list, the essentials like fruit and veg were entirely absent.

In the meantime we have managed to secure a delivery slot every Wednesday for the next 52 weeks from ASDA for a payment of £24, but we must spend £40 each time.  This doesn't start until next Wednesday, so I will let you know how we get on.  We did manage to get down to ASDA at 7am this morning during the elderly and vulnerable period, but found it full of young, fit people who were obviously taking advantage of time off work to strip the shelves of most goods.  Luckily they had pretty much ignored the fruit and veg, which was what we wanted.  So much for social distancing as the checkouts were overwhelmed.  I have told this tale elsewhere.

Mike.X

We're in the position of me now having to visit the supermarkets more often than I did before the self-isolation advice.

Living virtually next door to Morrisons we never found it necessary to do a month's shopping at a time or to stock up but now we're having to do it.

Once we've built up a good stock of food I can cut back on the supermarket visits & rely on the online shopping.

We'll get a biggish grocery order on Sunday, but from what others have said, we won't know what we get till we get it.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

granny moss

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2020, 07:49:45 AM »
Having read all of the above and entered a state of gread disbelief and depression I am now going to isolate myself from the forum till all of this nigthmare is over. If I should pass on in the meantime, I will let you know...Have a nice time worrying and hoarding.... :D gmx

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2020, 07:51:33 AM »
Are you sure, granny - we will miss you
Mike

biglouis

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2020, 01:09:43 PM »
We are all worrying but I dont think any here are hoarding - just sharing with friends and family to make what we can get will go around.  I couldnt get any baking potatoes but my nephew says the Indian shop has some. So I am giving him most of the baked beans and the tinned stuff and some fruit and loo rolls. He is going to make me some meals to warm up in the microwave because i hate cooking for myself. So we are just sharing and not doing anyone else out of anything or buying stuff we cannot use.

If you are new to online shopping pick your slot first! Then choose things to put in it. Not the other way around or you may be disappointed.

Most of the supermarkets have some kind of "plan" where you pay in advance and this gives you a bit of priority at certain times (Easter and Christmas for Tesco)

It also allows you to reserve more than one slot at a time so long as they are on different days. You can use the backup slot to shop for someone else who does not have internet access or ready access to shops.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

Re: Shopping On Line.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2020, 01:14:50 PM »
If I should pass on in the meantime, I will let you know.

You'll be the first one that does & then some of us will have to rethink things.  ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

David G

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »
I used to go out with a shopping list of items I needed /wanted, now it's a case of choose from what's available.

One thing I'll never have is baked beans.
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

GrannyMac

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2020, 02:32:44 PM »
Having read all of the above and entered a state of gread disbelief and depression I am now going to isolate myself from the forum till all of this nigthmare is over. If I should pass on in the meantime, I will let you know...Have a nice time worrying and hoarding.... :D gmx

Granny, there's plenty of positives on the forum too.  I think it could be a godsend for those members who really are in isolation over the next few weeks.  Don't cut yourself off completely.  Keep well.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2020, 04:46:33 PM »
Well said
Mike

Alex22

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2020, 05:52:30 PM »
I'll second that